Mobius Final Fantasy falling from pocket onto PC

Now that consoleers have enjoyed two months of the beautiful anime boyband roadtrip that is Final Fantasy XV, Square Enix have announced that we PCnauts will soon finally start fantasying ourselves with- oh, a port of free-to-play mobile game Mobius Final Fantasy [official site]. Grumble grumble. Mobius might be a smashing game, for all I know, but it’s not the boyband barbecue I crave. What dreadful teases they are. But! If you’ve been waiting for confirmation of the Final Fantasy VII Remake on PC, I’m sure you’ll be contented with news that Mobius will borrow resources from it for a crossover event. That’s enough, aye?

Mobius Final Fantasy has been on PC in Japan since November but February 6th will see it come westwards, free-to-play via Steam. Mobius, to briefly explain, is a Final Fantasy RPG blended with a pinch of card-battling. There’s some fantasy thing afoot, so you fight monsters. Get it? Got it? Good. The PC release will support sharing saves with the pocket version, and naturally will be prettier. Project lead Naoki Hamaguchi says:

“We no longer needed to compress assets to shrink the data size like we do for mobile devices, so the 3D resources are much higher in resolution. Furthermore, we did not have to be conscious about saving power when considering frame rate, so players will be able to enjoy the game in extremely high quality in the realm of 60fps to 120fps. Another feature worth mentioning is that we will also support 4K resolution. Players will be able to enjoy a much richer experience that differs from mobile devices, something closer to a console experience.”

One day after launch, February 7th, Squeenix will launch an event smooshing in a Final Fantasy VII Remake “collaboration.” They proudly say that it’s built with resources from the Remake, which sorta stings given that we’ve still no idea whether we’ll ever see that.

Squeenix have become a lot better with PC, and have steadily ported decades of FF games to PC, so their silence on The Good Stuff is still so strange. Mobius is not the announcement I expected or wanted. But I’ve not played it. Maybe you have? If so, do tell us all what it’s like, yeah?

1. RedViv says:

Far more interested to hear when we can expect FF XII to arrive on PC. Come on. We already have the one best FF with IX, now we need the other. Gimme!

• RedViv says:

Probably jinxed it and we’ll only get mobile ports forever. FFXV hasn’t been specified either yet. Horrible. I want my stupid boy pal roadtrip!

• Kaeoschassis says:

I just want a DECENT re-release of FFVI instead of the horrible one we got, to be honest. Although FFXV on PC would also be effing lovely, as it’s exactly the kind of beautiful bonkers-ness I want from the series.

• SaintAn says:

We don’t have Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on PC yet. That’s more needed than any other.

• RedViv says:

That truly would be the best case scenario. Just… Hey, maybe remake it the way Disgaea upgraded its SRPG graphics later. That would be grand.
        It is my favourite game with Final Fantasy in the title, bar none.

2. TrynePlague says:

“If you’ve been waiting for confirmation of the Final Fantasy VIII Remake on PC, I’m sure you’ll be contended with news that Mobius will borrow resources from it for a crossover event.”

Final Fantasy VII, not VIII. :) Although I prefer the 8th entry in the series over 7. ;o

• Someoldguy says:

…and contented not contended…

I really enjoyed FF VII on PC all those years ago, but I’m not sure I have the stamina for all the grinding needed to unlock all the materia, collect all the items, breed all the chocobos etc any more. The story was great, but I can still remember that. The grinding wasn’t.

3. gabrielonuris says:

the beautiful anime boyband roadtrip that is Final Fantasy XV

You know, you make it looks like I don’t need that game at all. And the funny thing is: you’re probably right.

• SaintAn says:

I played it. PC doesn’t need it, it’s terrible, a mess, and it’s filled with advertising. It’s really not even a Final Fantasy, just some game they slapped the brand on and added a few FF references.