Ghibtastic! Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom hitting PC

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom [official site], the sequel to Level-5’s prettypretty fairytale RPG collaboration with animelords Studio Ghibli, will come to PC. Just like with Ace Combat 7, publishers Bandai Namco announced No No Kuni 2 for PlayStation in 2015 and have only today got around to inviting us in too. Don’t mind if I do, Ian Bandai! I was always impressed (from a distance) by how much No No Kuni looked like a Ghibli anime, and this sequel is looking mighty pretty too. Have a gander in this recent trailer:

To explain more of what you’re seeing there, here’s the official pressblarb:

“In the world of Ni no Kuni, there is a kingdom called Ding Dong Dell, where cats, mice and humans used to live in harmony. After a coup, the cat folk and their King Evan were banished. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom recounts the story of this deposed king in his journey to build his own kingdom and unite the whole world. With him are his faithful friends Roland, Tani and the beings known as Higgledies who come from the power of the heart, a power which is found within people, animals and elements such as fire and water. Only those with pure hearts can see them. The Higgledies will lend Evan their support throughout his journey, helping him in battles and letting him reach places he wouldn’t otherwise be able to get to. Follow Evan in his quest, fight powerful monsters, face perilous dungeons and help him to become a King!”

Are the cats of Ding Dong Dell banished to the well? Please, someone fetch little Tommy Stout to save them and send that vile Johnny Flynn to bed without any supper.

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom is due out later in 2017. Studio Ghibli (y’know, the gang behind My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, When Marnie Was There, and so many other lovelies) aren’t directly involved with this sequel, though former Ghibli animator Yoshiyuki Momose and frequent Ghibli movie composer Joe Hisaishi are onboard.

1. ran93r says:

I believe the only appropriate response to this is “YISSS”.

I loved the PS3 one but it was released at that funny time between PS3 and PS4, as such, I didn’t play as much of it as I should have.

2. CAMN says:

“I’m going to party like it’s 999!”

3. richlamp says:

This is great news.

4. Moonracer says:

Looking forward to this!

5. Suits says:

Hurray!

Swordfishtrombone says:

Ni No Kuni has the most wonderful jumping animation ever to grace the gaming canon. I genuinely spend a good few moments every time I play it just making Oliver jump down short flights of steps so I can watch his cape billowing. Also the little Welsh guy in it is bizarre.

7. LaundroMat says:

Any word on the first Ni No Kuni coming to PC?

8. Nouser says:

Rejoice! If only they would bring the first one to PC as well, so I could complete both.

9. smeaa mario says:

This just looks like an instant buy. If it can provide a good bulk of playtime too, I am sold. Because that’s the problem with some of the very nice-looking games nowadays. They end in a heartbeat and leave you with the feeling of having just seen a merry short film.

10. thekelvingreen says:

The first one is an odd mix of introductory My First Rpg and bastard hard, but it is lovely. A sequel is great news.

11. racccoon says:

Looks like a great game! shame its not PC bound!
    I don’t think there should be any “WALLS”! they separate societies & stop everyone from having the enjoyment of what it is, plus they divide people and cause rejection. All Mexicans return home & should leave them in dark! oh..sorry got carried away.. did i do a political thing! :)

12. KirasiN91 says:

Glad to hear it’s coming to PC, one less reason to buy a ps4!
    However, either I’m confused or you made a mistake. The story this time around is not written by studio Ghibli, only personnel related to that studio this time around is the artist and the great Joe Hisaishi who’s writing the music for it.

13. Danley says:

Anyone know about the different graphics mode shown around 0:37? Is there an option to play with more throwback JRPG-like models?