McPixel dev’s Mosh Pit Simulator is going to VR hell

Please understand that I am humourless. I have no patience for fun, jokes, japery, antics, shenanigans, tomfoolery, or banter. I’ve surgically served my face’s smiling muscles and developed a workout routine to pump the frowners. I am no fun.

And yet — mercy me! — I laugh like a drain watching snippets of Mosh Pit Simulator [official site]. It’s an upcoming VR game from McPixel developer Sos Sosowski, pushing bugs and glitches to the extreme as interfaces fall apart in your hands, flailing mannequins destroy a city, and a dinosaur warps and whips and trashes a kitchen.

Mosh Pit Simulator is… some sort of motion-controlled VR game about duffing up people and making things go wonky? Something like that. I honestly can’t tell you what Mosh Pit Simulator is or will be, I can only take you back through its development to show you what it has been and what Sos has said it was. Let’s pick through tweets and blog posts and tunes in reverse-chronological order:

This trailer’s a 360-degree vid, give it a good drag around:

At this point, Sos popped out a blog post detailing his plans for the game. He talks about a story mode, “funny” modes, enemies, helicopters, and superpowers.

“I want to keep the game as ‘open’ as it can get, in terms of letting the player break everything and play around and exploit bugs etc,” he said.

Mate, I’ve no clue.

[Disclosure: I know Sos a bit and contributed a tiny, tiny amount to the Doom Piano (its monitor shroud) he and some other rabble made.]

From this site

1. Simon_Scott says:

Shades of… link to youtube.com

2. Seafoam says:

Glitch based humor is all good and fun, but the thing is that it needs to have a straight foil like all comedy. If the game’s main focus is it’s glitches and it has been developed with those in mind, those glitches aren’t funny anymore.

Like, watching people break Fallout 4 to the point where it almost becomes lovecraftian horror gets me laughing out of my seat, but I groan at all “lolz random glithes” games out there like goat simulator.

Like the video Simon_Scott posted above, the straight foil to the jiggly man is the real footage environment. But if the environment would be silly CGI as well it wouldn’t be as funny.
    What I’m trying to say is, the game needs more serious objectives to it, otherwise all the silliness means nothing.

• LennyLeonardo says:

You’re doing a fine job of it.

• Scripten says:

Goat Simulator was fun because it was glitchy, sure, but it also felt like playing a slightly broken Tony Hawk Pro Skater. If this is at least that interesting (considering the pedigree, I expect it to be), then I’ll be happy.

• Stardog says:

Exactly. The dev knows it’s good advertising and is keeping the “glitches” on purpose, and actively programming them in at this point.

AceJohnny says:

The glitched enemies in Saints Row IV were a lot of fun. Most of the game happens inside a Simulated World, and the glitched enemies appear either near Rifts (which are ostensibly connections to the underlying systems powering the Simulation) or during Virus Injection missions. So they made narrative sense (as much as anything in that silly game did).

Yes, some of them were horrifying (like those that were normal human models EXCEPT THEIR HEADS WERE TWO GIANT EYEBALLS), but in general there were excellent “glitched model” enemies, with some having their leg vertices all over the place, or some that lacked any animation and were just in the default animator T pose, with guns nonsensically hanging in the air in the general vincinity of their hands.

I found those hilarious. I wish I could come up with a good example videos, but most searches come up with actual game glitches. I mean not in-game glitches but actual… You know what I mean.

If you pay attention you can see some in this video: link to youtu.be

3. Kefren says:

How on earth do you make a draggable Youtube video? My conceptions have been proven mis-.

4. Shazbut says:

Glitches aren’t funny, they’re horrifying. Those first two gifs with the dinosaur are more disturbing than any game I played all last year.

• DelrueOfDetroit says:

You should watch the horror that is Busto 2.0 in Car Boys.

• April March says:

Those first/last gifs would certainly not feel out of place in a horror game.