The Foxer

Warm-Up Foxer (Who am I?)

My roots are in Indochina. There’s a statue of me in the city that gave sherry its name. I love good food. I used to smoke cigars. Over the years my eyesight has improved and I’ve lost weight. I inspired a chair. I was born in the same year as Supermac. My official name is singularly inappropriate.

Feature Foxer

Identify the pictured locations, all of which have political significance.

* * *

SOLUTIONS

Last Week’s Warm-Up Foxer

Answer: Villa Tugendhat (defoxed by Shiloh)

Last Week’s Feature Foxer

Theme: scarves (defoxed by AFKAMC)

a Doctor Who (unsolved)
b Hermes scarf (Stugle)
c Scarff ring (AFKAMC)
d Gryffindor scarf (phlebas)
e Private Pike (AFKAMC)
f Isadora Duncan (phlebas)
g Scarfies (phlebas)
h Gerald Scarfe (phlebas)
i Knitting stitch counter (Matchstick)
j Football scarf (Matchstick, chuckieegg)
k Rupert Bear (phlebas)
l Muffler (Syt)

From this site

1. Little_Crow says:

A) Is Runnymede where the Magna Carta was signed
    (It’s 2 minutes from my house which makes it nice and easy)

• JB says:

That was the only one I recognised immediately! (It’s a little further than 2 mins from my house though)

• Little_Crow says:

Also home to the JFK memorial, which is officially US territory.
      Though it’s the Magna Carta I think Roman is specifically after

2. AFKAMC says:

C- National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio.

Significant because of the 1995 Dayton Agreement.

3. Lazzars says:

Could B be the Watergate Hotel in DC? Of Watergate scandal fame.

4. AFKAMC says:

M – Yitzhak Rabin Memorial, Rabin’s Square (Iben Gvirol), Tel Aviv.

5. phlebas says:

Warmup: Are you Bibendum, the Michelin Man?

• Little_Crow says:

I was absolutely nowhere near getting that, nice one.

• Hydrogene says:

Brilliant! The only thing I don’t get is the statue in Xeres… ?!?

• Little_Crow says:

My friend’s response – ‘I got lost driving in Jerez and went past that F’ing statue about 25 times in 40 Degree heat.’

‘If I remember it’s on a roundabout’ (it is)

‘Which is on the edge of the one way system through the Old Town’

He’s a bit salty he didn’t get the answer…

6. unacom says:

d) is the Konrad-Adenauer-Haus in Berlin.
    [seat of the german CDU-party]
    j) strikes me as something Luxembourg-ish

• unacom says:

j) It´s the parliament building in Vaduz, Liechtenstein.
      I´m afraid, I know nothing of it´s political significance (beyond the Liechtenstein borders -obviously).

7. Lazzars says:

L – Maidan Nezalezhnosti or “Independence square” in Kiev. Famous for the Orange Revolution and the Euromaiden protests.

8. Little_Crow says:

i) Is the former site of granita, where the ‘Blair-Brown non agression pact’ was agreed

link to en.wikipedia.org

link to google.co.uk

(Yes, I did just follow the No.4 bus route through London on Google Maps…)

• Stugle says:

Nice! That’s dedication to the craft of Defoxing. :)

• Rorschach617 says:

Agreed.

I had just finished streetviewing the length of Cable, Cato and Sidney Streets because “political significance”, but where Blair and Brown plotted out their timeshare…

I’m not bitter or anything.

• Lazzars says:

I’d done much the same and this answer did occur to me but couldn’t remember where it had happened!

9. Stugle says:

E – The house of Aung San Suu Kyi in Burma/Myanmar, where she was under house arrest.

10. Stugle says:

K – It’s American and it’s NOT Ford’s Theatre, where Lincoln was assassinated, nor is it Petersen House, where he died. I’ll continue to narrow it down…

11. Chiron says:

C) Is RAF Duxford or possibly a stretched view of the IWM?

M) Looks like somewhere in Japan, maybe Hiroshima?

12. phlebas says:

F – The house in Predappio where Mussolini was born, now a museum:
    link to commons.wikimedia.org

13. Stugle says:

This is a tough Foxer. I think the building in H is a theater, and the banners on the flagpoles near the entrance are white-blue-red, which are the colors of Russia. There also appears to be an Orthodox church dome behind the government (?) building on the right of the picture.

So far, I’ve eliminated the Bolshoi, the Dubrovka Theater (site of the 2002 hostage crisis and botched rescue operation), and the three theaters Google suggests when looking for historic theaters in Saint Petersburg.

• Panzerschwein says:

Jazz festival banner with barely legible “E” in city name lead me to Belgrad and the building is House of the National Assembly of Serbia.

• Stugle says:

Excellent! I did consider Serbia, but only looked for theaters and therefore missed the National Assembly.

14. Cian says:

I believe G is the Tynwald on the Isle of Man. Which I was always told was the oldest Parliament in the world. Although Wikipedia (and Iceland) disagrees.
    link to en.wikipedia.org

• phlebas says:

Iceland can’t claim continuity, though, having taken 1800-1845 off. Wikipedia is skeptical about the exact age of the Tynwald, but it could still be the oldest continuous parliament as claimed.

15. OpT1mUs says:

(was supposed to be a reply to Stugle)

It is National Assembly in Belgrade. Fun fact: In Half-Life 2 main base/building of the bad guys was based on it.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

16. phlebas says:

Summary so far:
    A) Is Runnymede – Magna Carta / JFK memorial
    B) Watergate Hotel, Washington DC
    C) National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton, Ohio
    D) Konrad-Adenauer-Haus, Berlin
    E) Aung San Suu Kyi’s house, Myanmar
    F) Mussolini’s birthplace, Predappio
    G) Tynwald, Isle of Man
    H) National Assembly of Serbia, Belgrade
    I) Granita restaurant
    J) Parliament building, Vaduz, Liechtenstein.
    L) Maidan Nezalezhnosti or “Independence square”, Kiev
    M) Yitzhak Rabin Memorial, Tel Aviv

That leaves K, N and O still foxing.

17. Lazzars says:

O – Plaza de Mayo, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Named for the May revolution.

18. UnholyDeath says:

K has been bugging me all week, finally found it (the unique shape of the street name sign ended up being the needed clue).

It’s the Musical Fund Hall in Philadelphia, PA, home to the very first ever Republican National Convention in June 1856. Located at the intersection of Locust St. and S Darien St.