Wow! Such meme! Very Smite!

Today is International Fun at Work Day, according to some random website and, idk, the UN probably too or whatever. In that fun-loving, good-time spirit ahem!

Wow! Such meme!

So doge!

Very Smite [official site].

So much 2013!

That’s a cosmetic skin coming to the Norse goddess Skadi in Hi-Rez’s MOBA with the next big update. It’s only an option for Skadi, who usually looks like an icy killer with a wolfpal. The doge setup is just a skin. It’s also a fascinating demonstration of how quickly cyberspace can tire of jokes. I know I frowned. But consider:

A: I say I say, my dog has no nose!

B: How does it smell?

A: Awful!

That’s a timeless dog joke right there, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. After the stars boil away, in the velvet black of the dying moments of the universe, one atom will tell that joke to his atompal, who’ll crack up so hard she inadvertently sparks a new big bang. No one could ever grow tired of that joke. If you think you have, you’re mistaken. The more tired this joke is, the richer it becomes, a rich tang of irritation and absurdity adding to delightful innocent wordplay and a smelly dog.

But an Internet joke from three years ago? Unforgivable. Heck, an Internet joke from three weeks ago is unacceptable in decent cybercompany. And if you explain to me a funny video I saw this morning, so help me god I will cut you from my Myspace Top 8.

As someone who will write something ’em up and overuse the prefix cyber until the stars boil away etc. I find Hi-Rez’s commitment to this awful old joke encouraging. They apparently still consider doge funny enough to make this, so bless their hearts.

From this site

1. Creeping Death says:

International fun at work day, huh? So uh… who’s bright idea was it to have it on the same day as Holocaust memorial day?

Anyway, that Doge skin is about as timely as Compare the Market giving away Frozen themed plushies this year.

2. Uncle Fassbender says:

Memes are funny in their prime because it’s easy to make variations on them so you get easy laughs for comparatively little effort. This means everyone wants a shot at it so the massive influx of memery wears thin very quickly.

Is dogecoin still a thing?

3. int says:

Never understood that meme.

• Napalm Sushi says:

That’s because memes, in their raw form, only have meaningful relevance to the absolute ground zero of their inception, propagating by an explosion of amateur photoshoppers who stretch their applicability to the most remote limits until there’s no concept they aren’t linked to. They are things that, in a world any less totally connected than this one, would languish as obscure in-jokes.

4. Freud says:

From a marketing perspective it’s probably already a success because it’s getting attention from media and people that normally wouldn’t talk/write about Smite skins.

5. clippa says:

If Trump doesn’t push the button, I will.

6. robby5566 says:

I’m not the only one who cringed at the video, right?

Here I was all, hey, maybe this won’t be so bad, maybe it’ll be fun…
    “So stronk skadi-chan!”

Lars Westergren says:

The internet was a mistake.

8. DelrueOfDetroit says:

The most classic dog joke is clearly:

Why does a dog lick itself?

Because it can.

9. Rao Dao Zao says:

I really enjoy http://www.doge2048.com. It’s 2048… with funny doge pictures instead of numbers.

Why yes, I am easily amused.

10. kud13 says:

I’ve been trying to remember whar rock I was under in 2013 that I had no idea what the meme was.

Oh, right. Last year of law school. Thanks for bringing those times back, alice.

• Someoldguy says:

Pretty sure I was here, sitting at the selfsame PC and still missed it. Guess it never managed to achieve critical mass and and leak out into a middle aged RPG gamer’s social environment.

I’m sticking to all your base are belong to us. It’s timeless and probably the only one I’ll ever need anyway.

11. Seafoam says:

Uuugghhhhhh…….
    This meme is beyond dead, it’s in a state of perpetual rot. Like no plants shall ever grow place where it’s corpse rests. It’s vile influence can still be felt long after it’s death.

12. April March says:

Someone had to voice those lines. I can’t stop thinking about what a, er, lateral career move that must have been.

13. Kits says:

As terrible as that video was, I wonder if it was intentional that what I assume was meant to be “How kawaii (cute) is this?” at the end is actually pronounced as “How kowai (scary or creepy) is this?”

• Phasma Felis says:

The Mekton Zeta anime tabletop RPG had an optional “KWI” stat. Positive values are kawaii, negative are kowai, and in a fight, whoever has the higher absolute value intimidates/disgusts their opponent for a penalty equal to the difference.

It was fun.

14. dorobo says:

wow much retarded lol..

15. dorobo says:

From a marketing perspective.. I once tried this game but after this never again. I am at peace with this one. For eternity.

Btw i like doge.