What are we all playing this weekend?

Saturday once more! An opportunity for Monday-to-Friday workers to chillax to the max and hang ten on a hop pipe. Alternatively, perhaps you’ll play video games. What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m replaying Resident Evil 7 on Madhouse difficulty. I’ve become even fonder of the game since I finished it, accepting its flaws and enjoying how fantastically bloody and grotesque it is. I don’t particularly think it needs to be any harder, but I’ll be interested to see if making some of the unpleasantness even more unkillable increases the tension, or rather just the frustration of throwing bullets at baddies that don’t give a damn how brave I am.
Alec: I’m going to break ranks and play Final Fantasy XV, as I stumbled across a reasonably-priced secondhand PS4 copy the other day. I have an uneven relationship with Final Fantasies to say the least, but the road trip element appeals enormously, and someone told me that it is reliably very silly indeed. I plan to go into it in that spirit, rather than taking it as seriously as I’m sure series fans do, and perhaps that way I can shrug off the series’ least palatable tropes and just enjoy the drive. That is, if I ever get to play. It’s been downloading the same patch for five hours now.
Alice: I’m wonkywristed again this weekend so I really shouldn’t play anything but let’s not pretend I won’t be cranking Isaac. Now that I’ve bumped off most the new expansion’s unlocks (beating Delirium as Lost and Keeper will be a chore but at least I’ve done Greedier) I’m settling happily into the new shape of Isaac. I might also have a crack at Infra, a first-person explore-o-puzzler about investigating damaged infrastructure. I picked it up yonks ago on sale then a recent update reminded me that oh! I should play that.
Brendan: [Brendan’s absence note for the past few days says he “has gone to the beach” so I assume he’s off drinking piña coladas and getting caught in the rain -ed.]
Graham: I have finally got round to starting on Hitman, 2016’s now complete episodic murder simulator. I’ve only completed the opening fashion show mission so far and I’m still finding the ‘opportunities’ system heavy-handed in the way it routes you towards certain modes of assassination. I’m hoping that those to come offer a great illusion of creativity, even if I’m still only ever following paths laid out for me by the developers.
John: [Forever fired -ed.]
Philippa: This weekend I’ll definitely be playing the next part of the Silver Tower campaign with the gaming group I have at the moment. I’m looking forward to it after a long hiatus due to Christmas and New Year things. In terms of digital things, I have a review or two in progress so I’m chipping away at a couple of games which haven’t been released yet, but other than that there’s nothing I’m especially excited to start right now. A bunch of games are having Lunar New Year events so I might dip into those to see how they measure up too.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Ejia says:

Environmental Station Alpha. Much like Axiom Verge, it’s Metroid in almost all but name. ESA’s hookshot is much more fun than AV’s grappling hook, however.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

This is a good recommendation. I somehow overlooked this.

• Catterbatter says:

How’s the difficulty compared to Axiom Verge?

• Ejia says:

It’s slightly tougher since AV’s save system is much more forgiving. Timing hookshots and jumps seems less complicated than AV’s jump/grapple/drone shoot/teleport switch, though. I haven’t gotten to the bit which frustrated John in his WIT, however, so I assume I’ll be dying a whole lot more when I do.

• Catterbatter says:

Ah, well John can be John I suppose. His WIT put me off ESA because I really dislike inappropriate difficulty spikes, but I’m not as easily frustrated as he is. I may give it a shot. Thank you.

Swordfishtrombone says:

Just made it to Irithyll in Dark Souls 3, whereupon I decided to completely change my approach from knight armor + Zweihander to loincloth, pope hat and Uchigatana. It remains to be seen whether or not that will prove to be a wise decision.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I remember Irithyll being a real difficulty spike (despite looking like Disneyland) so either a really bad time to try new tactics, or an excellent time to find better tactics. Hope it works out

• Koozer says:

Any outfit including the Pope hat is a wise decision.

3. Captain Narol says:

Smite Tactics :

Finally got an invite to the beta. Game is cool and fun, but at this point too fast and too light tactically for my taste. Battlefield is only 5×9, smaller than a chess board, which quite limits manoeuvering possibilities, and the card pool is too small (23-30 different cards only by pantheon)

Duelyst :

Downloaded it and gonna give it a try to compare with Smite Tactics.

Warbands Bushido and Magic Duels :

Doing my daily quests. I really enjoy those 2 games and could play them all day long.

Football Manager 2017 :

Doing my daily matches with my 7 teams and staying up to date with real transferts. Nottingham Forrest is leading the championship !

If I have time left, probably The Banner Saga 2 or Crusader Kings 2, depending of my mood.

• Captain Narol says:

Feedback :

Tried Duelyst and really can’t stand the pixel art style. I know some people love it but it’s just not my stuff.

On the other hand, it’s now obvious to me that Smite Tactics, in its current beta state, is really a shameless rip-off of Duelyst with more modern graphics and a “Smite” dress-up…

If you can get over that, it’s a cool light game to play in short sessions.

Andy_Panthro says:

I’m playing a mixture of Resident Evil 7, Dragons Dogma and Stardew Valley.

The opening hour of RE7 was amazing, and while the rest of the game seems to be slightly more traditional RE (like the puzzles), I’m still loving it. The change to first person, and (so far as I know four hours in) dropping most of the baggage from the previous games has perhaps made this the best Resident Evil game ever? Certainly for someone like me who had little more than a passing interest in the series previously.

• caff says:

Resi Evil 7 too for me. Never played one before so not sure what to expect.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Same here. Played the first hour and a bit last night. What I’ve seen so far has been excellent.

I have come to the conclusion that you are playing as the dumbest man alive. What’s this? A barrier made of DEER LEGS? Meh, probably nothing.

Andy_Panthro says:

Classic horror movie stuff that. Also while I’m not sure of what the exact year it’s supposed to be set in, I’m assuming 80s due to him not immediately trying to call for help on his mobile phone (as you would surely do).

• Javier says:

Forgot about the laptop at the beginning of the game and the e-mail printout in your inventory as the first thing you start the game with? ;)

Andy_Panthro says:

Um… yeah I did totally forget that. Who knows why he doesn’t have a phone then… at least we were spared the trope of checking the phone signal.

5. Ghostwise says:

Still hammerin’ away at Ye Olde Fallout 2. But at least it was possible to start publication on the resultant possible take on the Chosen One, so that’s progress.

6. Serenegoose says:

I think I’ll be playing a mix of Pillars of Eternity and Long War 2. I’m hoping that I make time for making progress in The Banner Saga 2, as it so often gets undeservedly overlooked in my schedule, for how much I enjoyed TBS1.

7. peterlarge says:

My friend sent me an invite to For Honor beta, so we are going to bash each other’s skulls this weekend to get a feel of the combat system. It felt really stasfying against the AI, but I wonder for how long it can keep us interested.

I also started Tales of Berseria to introduce myself to the genre. I am really intrigued by JRPGs and Japanese games overall, but as a PC player, I have almost no experience with them. I see a lot of them nowadays on PC and I got really hooked on Valkyria Chronicles so I hope this one will lead me to whole new experiences.

The world, story, aesthetics and characters of Berseria are lovely so far (I am an anime fan anyway) but for now the combat system confuses the hell out of me.

• floogles says:

I would also recommend FFX on Steam as a good intro to jrpgs. It has many traditional systems and tropes, including a good iteration of turn based combat, incredible music, and imo a beautiful story.

Many will disagree and recommend other great jrpgs (of which there are many) but I think FFX is a must play to get an overview of the genre. No matter what, you have a lot of awesome titles to discover!

8. spleendamage says:

XCOM2 – LW2 mod: Initially frustrated by this mod because I didn’t understand that you just cannot do a mission if your force isn’t 100%+ infiltrated; you just get overwhelmed and crushed. Now, in my most recent play I am doing well on the missions I attempt, but I’ve had to skip several. It feels weird to have to avoid missions and abandon those opportunities and I can’t help but wonder if it’s going to come back and bite me months down the road.

Disgaea: I’ve already determined that I will be purchasing Disgaea 2 long before I grind enough to finish Disgaea, but I’ll get a little more grinding in as a last hurrah.

9. Chaoslord AJ says:

I’m also breaking ranks as I bought a second-hand wii u in anticipation of the next Zelda.
    That and the lack of worthwhile PC releases for the last several weeks – at least makes no sense getting them full-price. (There’s Tales of Berseria for example)
    Other then that I’m taking on the last ten achievements for Skyrim special edition.

• LennyLeonardUK says:

Are you interested in other Wii U games beside the new Zelda??. I’m basically a PC/Nintendo fanboy so I can at least offer a few recommendations if you want to get some more use out of the console before March 3rd arrives.

Bayonetta 2 is a must buy if your a fan of action games.

Pikmin 3 is a criminally under rated strategy game.

Splatoon is just about the most fun you can have with an online shooter, Overwatch included.

Mario 3D World is of course fantastic.

And Xenoblade Chronicles X has probably the greatest game world I have personally ever experienced.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Thanks for the recommendations. Already got Mario 3D and plan on getting Xenoblade and Wind Waker.
        Maybe get stuff by virtual console also as I missed everything from SNES onward but I heard the Nintendo digital store isn’t as user-friendly as Steam.

• LennyLeonardUK says:

The Nintendo E-Shop is quite adequate, take from that what you will. The biggest problem is a lack of an account system, so if you happen to lose your Wii U for any reason (i.e. it gets damaged beyond repair) then you will also lose your access to any game you previously purchased. Which is a pretty shoddy state of affairs to be honest.

But… there are some great games on the digital store. This week just so happens to have 30% off all Zelda purchases as well. A Link To The Past (SNES) is one of the greatest games ever made and Skyward Sword (Wii) is nearly the perfect Zelda experience.

Also, the original Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) is available in digital format and is well worth your time and money. Getting hold of a boxed copy used to be quite hard (I’m not sure if that is still the case), so going the digital route may be cheaper & easier at this point.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Nice, I’ll check it out. Played Z3 already on the original cartridge, a must-play. For Skyward I’d need to buy the wii nunchako and add-ons -hardware as the wii u don’t have it.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Isn’t the thing about Nintendo online purchases being linked to one system a myth?

10. Aitrus says:

Bought A Normal Lost Phone after reading John’s review, with money entirely made from Steam trading cards. Yay for free money? I played a bit of it already, not getting the uncomfortable snooping feeling.

Also Overwatch, always.

11. Morcane says:

Played For Honor for an hour or 2, 3 and am already kind of bored with it. Glad I got the chance, but it’s not for me.

I’ll probably muck about in Hitman for a bit, since thinking of new ways to off people is kind of fun. Also installed the The Division PTS, so I’ll check that out. My comfort food game.

12. Sorbicol says:

The Long War 2 which a genuinely excellent re-imagining of an already excellent game. But it really needs to present its information a lot lot better.

I was searching the galaxy for new Alien Ruins in Elite: Dangerous, but frankly Frontier’s planetary searching mechanic (fly to planet, fly 2km up from the surface looking for anything abnormal by eye. Takes untold hours and you’ll only spot them if the game decides to render them) sucks so hard I’ve had a massive enthusiasm failure. Boy oh boy do Frontier need to look at their exploration mechanics very very hard indeed.

13. banski83 says:

Overwatch, and possibly a bit of Stellaris.

Is the Leviathans story pack for Stellaris worth picking up?

Also mulling over whether to pick up XCOM2 in the Humble Bundle. Main thing putting me off is the timed missions; not a bit fan of that kind of thing at all.

• Kyuurei says:

Buy XCOM2. I have the same problem you have, anything that is timed i don’t really like, but there is a simple mod on nexus that removes the timer entirely and the game itself is brilliant.

• Ofanite says:

Just logged in to say: wow so much this. Putting a timer in your game is saying to the player “the best way to play my game is to play as little of it as possible.” What a weird design philosophy.

• horus_lupercal says:

If you’re not averse to modding then True concealment for X-COM 2 can make the timers much more forgiving. Basically it doesn’t start ticking down until you reveal your soldiers. heck there’s probably mods that get rid of them entirely though I’d be wary of doing that as a lot of missions are built around having timers and would be a cakewalk without them.

Grizzly says:

As others have said, you can remove or adjust the timers via modding. I would encourage you to try the game a few times with the timers, though! I personally love them as they force you out of the creep-forward-and-overwatch loop that XCOM1 encouraged a bit too often, and there’s plenty of missions that are not timed. The missions that are timed either have a timer that can be disabled midway, or are missions where you don’t have to engage all the enemies. They are far better then the timed missions in XCOM1, IMO.

• Vandelay says:

I got the Humble Monthly sub to get XCOM 2 for cheaps the other week. Haven’t played it massively, but I have played enough to confirm it is a big improvement on the first.

Still, I do get frustrated when you have three consecutive 60%+ attempts miss an alien, followed by your team getting wiped. Shit happens, but it seems to be more common in XCOM (although, I have read that tests on the probability in the game have proven that it isn’t lying.) The timed missions do exacerbate this.

Today I decided to restart a game, after my previous game was looking like things were about to go rapidly downhill. I started focusing on getting a large number of troops early. It seems to be working so far. I’ve had a couple of missions go mediocre (one were I lost two people and another were I only lost one, but all the others were gravely wounded,) but it is not too much of a problem as I have enough troops to field for a couple or more missions. It is proving a much more enjoyable experience.

The strategic map in between the missions feels like it could do with some more depth added to it. For the most part, it just feels like running around chasing after supplies, only for this to be interrupted by nagging as your research is completed or there is something else that needs scanning or there is a new mission you have to urgently go after. They are going for tension and giving you a sense of being forced into making choices rather than cleaning up everything, but it can feel like it is just pestering you when you have clicked the scan button on the same site three or four times.

• nitric22 says:

I just reinstalled Sins of a Solar Empire last night to scratch that grand space strategy itch, and I’ve been eyeing Stellaris for a bit now. Would it fit the bill if I decided to dive in do ya’ll believe?

• Zenicetus says:

It’s hard to predict if someone will like Stellaris or bounce off it, especially if you haven’t played other Paradox grand strategy games.

It’s big, it’s complicated, it has some odd design decisions (war goals, I hate ’em), and some things most space 4X games have that are missing and will probably be filled in later, like extensive trade and espionage. But it also has great sci-fi flavor and writing for events.

So it’s a mixed bag. I’d suggest watching some YouTube videos to get a feel for it before buying.

14. airtekh says:

I’ve bought a new mouse (Razer Deathadder Chroma for those interested) and a new mousemat so I’ll be road testing those in Overwatch.

In the last week or so I’ve given Hearthstone another shot. I like how they now have “play X cards” quests as well as the “win X games” quests. It’s far less frustrating knowing I can lose a game and still make progress on a daily quest.

I might also give the For Honor closed beta a try, I got an email for it the other day.

15. horus_lupercal says:

In between playing the oft frustrating but always fantastic ‘new father’ difficulty in that life game people keep wittering on about I’m going to be dipping into long war 2. It’s took me a bit to get into the mindset of skipping missions but I’m slowly making headway against Advent, now I just need to make headway against nappies and vomit.

16. Risingson says:

Last week I finished the main quest of skyrim, uninstalled it, put the pc on a pyre, set it on fire and walked away. I don’t think I can play anymore.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Well no. Not on that PC, at any rate.

And that’s if the plastic fumes didn’t get you.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Well that all depends on whether you remembered to ground the pyre or not.

17. LennyLeonardUK says:

I’m also dipping my toe into the world of Resident Evil 7 this weekend. I’m a fan of the series going right back to the original on PS1 and my expectations are high. Hopefully it isn’t a crushing disappointment like number 6 was.

I’m nearing the end of my first play through of Tyranny so that will probably feature also this weekend. Overall I’ve really liked the game and whilst it isn’t maybe the finest example of the cRPG genre, it is definitely one of my top 10 games of 2016.

Also, I hope to do another play through on The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past on my trusty 3DS this week. Mainly just in anticipation for Breath Of The Wild on March 3rd, but also because it is the greatest video game ever made and I never need an excuse to play it again.

Have a good weekend one an all!!!.

18. Darth Gangrel says:

When I finally decide to play something it’ll be Darksiders 2 which I’ve already begun, but mostly I’ll be playing the “OMG! exam in two weeks and I haven’t studied anything” game. I also have lots of other things I should be doing that I’ve put off.

19. Mi-24 says:

Hopefully getting a bit further in dishonoured 2 since I just became overwhelmed by the number of things to do and stopped playing for some reason. Also trying to bring myself to keep playing the evil within (despite the fact I scare easily) because I think it’s actually a pretty good game and want to complete it so i can free up some space on my hard drive.

BTW Graham: Hitman is excellent, and even better if you disable the opportunities / magic-see-through-walls-vision from the settings menu. I think most people agree this is the best way to play, relying on actually paying attention to conversations around you and the environment to work out kills, not being led through them step by step. I personally am looking forward to the new difficulty level they are releasing on tuesday which is a good way to update some silly ai / camera behaviours.

Mungrul says:

Hell, you can just go ahead and ignore the opportunities. I’m not enough of a difficulty fetishist to disable the wallhackery though. I view them as tutorials for each level, to give players a feel of how the thing moves before encouraging them to go wild with the expanded toolbox.
      To that extent, I recommend that any first run of a level should be Suit Only & Fibre Wire. That level of restriction really makes you careful, and helps force you to learn a level. That way, you can go back at your leisure later, finding interesting new ways to insert yourself in to your targets’ stories. You’ll have done the hard work and you’ll have learned a lot about the way the pieces of the level all slot together, but you’ll also have left yourself a boatload of content to discover on repeat play-throughs.

Still probably my favourite game of last year overall. I keep going back to it again and again.
      While a lot of the original reviews thought Paris was an interesting if flawed introduction to the new episodic game, I myself find it to be one of the best levels overall after repeat plays. There’s lots of nice hard failure states where if you don’t act in time, an opportunity might slip you by. That’s less true with later levels, and it really puts the pressure on the player to perform certain actions quickly and efficiently if they’re to take advantage.

For overall favourite, it’s a toss-up between Colorado and Sapienza for me, although Bangkok has grown on me over time, with interesting ways of diverting targets from their routines.

And for a cold hearted killer clone, 47 has a wicked sense of humour.

20. lglethal says:

Realised last week when I grabbed XCOM2 on HUmble Monthly that I never finished XCOM Enemy Within, so am doing a playthrough of that at the moment. Fun times!

Also probably some of The Division.

And debating whether I should finally give in and play ME3, even though I refuse to pay the ridiculous costs for the DLC. Or keep holding out hope (huh!) that when ME:A comes out, Bioware might (huh!) have a sale on the old ME DLC (like f%&k they will!).

• malkav11 says:

The closest thing they’ve ever done to having a sale on the ME2 and 3 DLCs is when at one point an Origin-wide coupon worked on buying Bioware points, which is when I picked up all the salient ME3 DLC. And it’s just as well I did because the next time one of those coupons came around it specifically and deliberately excluded Bioware points.

• Darth Gangrel says:

The fact that there is no GotY edition for ME2 and 3, that the DLC price is never discounted and requires purchase of “fake currency”, i.e. Bioware points, has held me off buying those games. Or rather, I’ll spend more time playing what I already have before caving in, because daaamn, ME1 sure was fun.

• malkav11 says:

It works out because ME1 was the best one anyway. (Not that 3 or even 2 are bad – I enjoyed them, in that order – but they’re not -as- good.)

• lglethal says:

I’m still kicking myself about that bloody coupon. I saw it whilst I was at work, but couldnt access Origin from work to make the purchases. Got home from Work tried to make the purchases, and the coupon had been changed so as not to work on Bioware Points. Even complained to EA Support, which got me a €5 coupon for Origin, but which of course could not be used on Bioware Points. grrr…

zinzan says:

Playing entertain a 8 year old without aggravating strained muscle in back – (A REAL LIFE mod, iron man, v.hard mode)

Combat Mission PBeM turns as and when – Some FTL when I get chance – oh and trying to get the bonus acheivement: Not buying any games, no not even XCOM2!!

22. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

XCOM 2. All the LW2 talk reminded me I never actually finished my first playthrough last year (I was 50 hours in and losing recruits hand over foot thanks to poor early decisions). Restarted from scratch and it’s all going much more swimmingly now I know what I’m doing, I do so bloody love these games. Turn-based is so tense. And is XCOM 2 the perfect sequel? Improves everything you wanted improved from the 1st game (repetitive maps, defending with overwatch more successful than attacking) and then adds so much more you never even realised you wanted. After a week on the thing I think I’m approaching the endgame, time to get these damned bugs off my planet.

23. fuggles says:

Dawn of war soulstorm. Why won’t it let me go? There comes a point that it’s just cruel. Anyway, another race mod is going to launch soon. That makes it number lots in total races.

24. zorkmid says:

Endless Legend multiplayer for sure. Probably a little of Train Simulator or OpenTTD. Im thinking about starting new game in X series, but not sure if I should go with X2 or X3:Reunion yet.

25. TheAngriestHobo says:

Empyrion – Galactic Survival. I think I just convinced one of my friends to pick it up, as well, so I’m well on my way to having a crew for a capital ship.

26. Zenicetus says:

Endless Space 2 (Early Access), checking out the new stuff that arrived or changed with this new development phase. Maybe some XCOM 2 on the side.

john_silence says:

Would love to hear RPS’ take on INFRA, one of the most intriguing games on my wishlist.

I was playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but I’m a bit tired of its heavy-handedness. It plays clumsy, it reads clumsy, it’s clumsy fun. So something more nimble perhaps. I get hankerings of the fluid gunplay of Call of Duty.

28. malkav11 says:

First and foremost I plan to finish the Dragon Age Inquisition main story. Not sure how long the Trespasser content is, so may not actually finish off the game entirely this weekend, but I literally just have the last story quest to do in the main campaign. And I’ve done both other DLCs (which were actually rather good).

Secondarily, I will doubtless play more Hex, and if I actually finish Inquisition or need a break, I’ll see about working on finishing out Pillars of Eternity (since the sequel is now crowdfunding!), and/or perhaps play some Arkham City.

teije says:

Finally playing Wasteland 2, certainly not perfect, but very enjoyable. The Witness was on sale, so picked that up.

And planning to get back to Pillars, now that the 2nd is blowing through its crowdfunding and onto stretch goals on Fig. Reminded me I never finished the first one, despite backing.

30. Dekion says:

I finally bought Ashes of ariandel this week and was very happy with it. Having played through bloodborne in the gap between ds3 and dlc I found myself dodging more and turtling less. Rediscovering puzzle games too. Obduction has a lovely atmosphere but can only play it in short doses as it melts my synapses.

31. dogwaddle says:

Continuing my rampage as the White Huns in Total War: Attila. Seeing the RPS posts about Pillars of Eternity 2 has me thinking about going back to the first game and finally finishing Act 3. Curious has anyone else enjoyed the game but felt burnt out by the time they got part way through Twin Elms?

• LennyLeonardUK says:

The exact same thing happened with me and Pillars Of Eternity, so you are definitely not alone. I keep meaning to go back and either finish Act 3 or start over again from the start.

Have you played Tyranny yet??. I can’t speak for the ending which I know got a lot of flack, but I’m about 90% through it now and I have really enjoyed it. It only lasts about 20 hours so it is kind of like a snack size cRPG, but I’ve actually ended up enjoying it more than most others in the genre. And it has now got my juices going for Numeria and Pillars 2.

32. parsley says:

I’ve barely played any games this past week, but John’s review makes me want to go and pick up A Normal Lost Phone. I’d also love to curl up with the Final Fantasy XIV character creator, if I have time. They have pompadours. It’s glorious.

33. I Dont Know says:

Been tickling at Undercards – a basic riff on Hearthstone based on the Undertale world, but not without its own charm… it seems to be a fan-made game, but gaining some good traction with me, I like the mechanics and the complexity. I believe it has the blessing of the Undertale creator Toby Fox as well…

Enter the Gungeon update getting some thrashing also, plus Crypt of the Necrodancer and Antibirth – soo much better than the official Afterbirth+

34. sege says:

Still Sanctus Reach. Still enjoyable but the AI is weak and means there is little challenge except for when unexplained games modes or mechanics catch you by surprise. I strongly suspect this would feel like a totally different game in multiplayer with a friend but I’m not a multiplayer player. Thunder Hammer wielding Terminators must be the most satisfying unit in a game ever!
    Not sure if I’ll go for Ep 4 of Life is Strange, I’m really trying to drag it out and saviour it.
    Started a second attempt at the Longest Journey also. I gave up years ago, and I won’t spend to much time on puzzles, I just want to experience the story so I can get to Dreamfall (one of the first games I ever bought for pc 10 years ago but never even installed it!) so that I can get to Dreamfall chapters…
    I suspect that is going to be a long journey :)

35. The Bitcher III says:

Nearing the end in The Witness but, ehh, losing interest. Plus, the current set of puzzles are not pleasant for someone who has ocular headaches and migraines.

Been ‘playing’ a couple of recs from the good posters here;
    I’m not sure anyone ‘plays’ thirty days of code but I’ve found it fun to pick up coding after 20 years.

Untrusted is a bit more of a game. I really did have fun knocking off the first ten levels, picking up Javascript along the way.

Really though I desperately need something less involved. Plumped for Watch Dogs over Hitman, in the search of mindless fun, but I keep getting drawn into the missions, which come thick and fast. Visually a very strange experience, at points it looks absolutely stunning, far beyond GTA V… and then the lighting/environment changes amd it looks ropey AF.

Whisper it quietly, but I’ve found the hacking/stealth gameplay infinitely more interesting than DX: MD.

Really tho, I’m just pleased to play a game that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Dialogue is light and breezy, and the characters are kinda likeable for their flaws and goofiness. The least Ubisoft Ubisoft game I’ve ever played. Except for the bucketloads of jank.

36. Vandelay says:

I’ve been playing FFXV myself Alec, so no judging from me. Never played an FF game before and have been pleasantly surprised by this. I’m not particularly far (just completed the first tomb,) but I’m enjoying myself. It seems like quite a laid back experience, chilling with pals out on the open road. The plot obviously throws out some “thrilling” moments, but it feels as if the developers mainly loved the image of these four guys cruising with the hood down. Also have The Lost Guardian for PS4, which seems to have gotten a bit lost in amongst my large amount of games I’ve been playing recently. I’ve enjoyed it when I have sat down with it, but haven’t really sunk my teeth into it yet and other things keep beckoning me more. I think both this and FFXV have suffered a bit from my pre-Christmas PC upgrade, so I’ve ended playing more on the PC than on the PS4.

Not sure if I will get to any of those this weekend, but beside XCOM 2, as mentioned above, I have randomly just re-installed Crusader Kings 2. I have attempted twice to get into this and both times have failed. The first time was the closest to grabbing me, as I had one really great session with it involving lots of backstabbing. The next time I came to it, I was just sitting around waiting for things to happen and nothing did. When I tried the second time I realised that I couldn’t remember how to do anything in the game and couldn’t be bothered to go through the terrible tutorials again.

This time I booted it up and saw that they have introduced a learning scenario (at least, I don’t think that was there last time I played,) so thought I would give that a go. Was going quite well at first, just poking around the interface and following the little messages that gave me some hints as to what to look at. The messages suddenly completely dried up though and I seemed to be very much left my own devices. That was when things started to go wrong… I first decided to declare war on someone, only to find out that they were actually a long way away. Tried to move my troops there, but when they eventually got to the county, they just sat there not doing anything. Eventually, a very large army appeared (at least, I think it was large, it was much bigger than mine,) and destroyed me. My spymaster then declared war on me and that was when I decided I wasn’t going to achieve anything more.

I clearly needed some assistance, so thought I would take a look at a couple of the tutorials. War was a big problem for me, but the armies/war tutorials seemed to just suddenly break on me (twice it got stuck paused telling me to do something that I couldn’t do.)

I’m not going to give up just yet though. I hear such great things about this game and it really does sound like something I would like, so I willing to persevere (Dark Souls took me three attempts to get into and that is now one of my favourite games!)

• Rainshine says:

CK2 is tricky like that. I got into it late (after the first couple DLC) and the tutorials were broken by then. The common internet recommendation is to play an Irish ruler for your first run through; I personally did my learning as an Italian Duchess. Basically, it’s considered easier to learn as a small, out-of-the-way ruler who can slowly build up. Declaring war I find to be something you want to do very considerately; check their allies/family to avoid getting yourself in over your head, check their wars to make sure you don’t get snookered by someone else beating them first, check their holdings to make sure you can beat them. I’m not big on internet or video tutorials, but you might want to check ones out about warscore and how winning works in CK2 if you haven’t figured it out yet. I feel the game is worth the effort, but it is an effort.

• Vandelay says:

Ireland was where I had my first game, which ended up with me having very little to do. As I say though, after a fun initial session with it, I just ended up with nothing to do and I was sitting around waiting for something to happen, which it never seemed to.

I understand that the reason Ireland is usually recommended is because it is slow and not a lot happens, so I probably need to go with something that has a little more going on, but not very much threat.

• Rainshine says:

Fair enough. In addition to the normal scheming (‘finding’ documentation of your ownership of an area, trying to marry well and have intelligent children, grooming your children’s lives, and helping others to weaken your rivals) you should be able to go on a holy war/crusade against the heathens — say, somewhere small like Iceland, or maybe an antipope in some small Spanish province?

37. Rainshine says:

Dragon Age Origins some more. Finally got through the stupid Soldier’s Peak DLC (Fight that starts with a ‘friendly’ mage aoeing your entire party, followed by five continuous fights against packs of mobs with magic, cc, and dots, and me with no healer. No ability to save or heal anywhere in the sequence; blew through all 20 or so of my healing poultices.
    Beyond that… maybe doing profession quests in WoW, and trying out Endless Legend after last week’s sale.

38. Ben King says:

weekend’s half over but I DM’d a 5e session today, some conversational role play, a bit of combat… things did not go as planned, but what’s the saying? No DM’s campaign ever survives it’s first encounter with the player party? Yeah that. Tomorrow I’d like to wrap up 35mm, and either get started on Duskers or fool around more in NMS.

39. pan of cotta says:

CAYNE. It’s free and I’m enthralled so far. link to store.steampowered.com After playing this I’m never having sex again.

Benratha says:

Just checked the link – thanks for the information! It’s made by The Brotherhood, who previously did scary-scifi isometric point & clicker STASIS.

40. solymer89 says:

TerraTech, Empyrion, SCII, Majora’s Mask, and the devil’s clarinet

Benratha says:

It’s quite possible that John W can’t reply because his brain has melted and/or escaped from his ears in an attempt to save itself after watching the rest of the “Transformers” films.
    Oh, and back to XCOM 2 for a play through before installing LW2. And Jazzpunk, and KRZ, and The Masterplan (Steam sale over Christmas – what can I say?)