Hey dood: Disgaea 2 released on PC

Like a little ‘J’ in your RPG? Tales of Berseria launched last week, if you fancy a zesty new bottling, or if you want something you might be interested in Disgaea 2 [official site]. Eleven years after its PlayStation 2 debut, Nippon Ichi Software’s RPG launched on PC today. Expect to meet leet-speaking penguins, deal nine digits of damage (numbers, not fingers), and gag-o-laff with a lot of silliness.

Here, I’ll turn you over to NIS to explain… something?

“Darkness is back. Overlord Zenon has cursed the land, and now, Veldime is transforming into a nasty Netherworld. Memories are sterilized, bodies demonized, the world is falling into chaos. The only one unaffected is a young man, Adell. He stands up to fight the curse, but things never go as planned. The haughty daughter of Zenon, a filthy little frog, lovable demon siblings and a washed-up rock star!? No one can ever predict what goes on in the world of Disgaea. And of course, other Overlords refuse to sit still watching…”

This PC release includes everything from Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories on PS2 and the PSP version, Dark Hero Days, along with three characters never in any western release before. NIS boast of keyboard and mouse support and things too. The first Disgaea’s PC port was wonky but initial responses to the sequel seem better. As far as I’ve seen, anyway; I’ve not played it myself.

Disgaea 2 is now out on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux at £13.49/17,99€/$17.99, which includes a small launch discount available for the first week.

1. wcq says:

I spent an unfortunate amount of time on the PSP version of this game seven years ago.

I can’t go back there, man. It’s a black hole of grinding!

2. Jac says:

These are pretty decent but technically they’re classed as more strategy / tactical JRPGs as opposed to the more traditional type.

I’d highly recommend Trails in the Sky if you’re all about that J.

• wcq says:

Trails is pretty good, but good God, the pacing. They should’ve called the first game Prologue, ’cause that’s what it is. Pretty much a 40-50 hour prologue to the story.

I haven’t even finished the games because I got so burned out after finishing the first one and realizing I’m still at chapter 4 (out of 9) after 25 hours in the second.

• Chillicothe says:

That IS the “The Story”. That series’ masterful subtlety is both its greatest strength and its greatest curse.

Anyways, “…zam” and all that to this game.

I didn’t really remember it as fondly as the other NI games from its PS2 glory days. I don’t know why really.

• noodlecake says:

I checked it out but the character design is so generic. I wouldn’t mind if it was just the NPCs but it’s true of the playable characters too.

I havent found any great pc jrpgs besides the final fantasy vii, viii, ix, x and x-2 ports.Reccetearseemed quite good. Still a generic anime style but it managed to convey a lot of character and had some unique concepts.

• MikoSquiz says:

Please note, the Disgaea games are very, very strange. The narrative usually spends two thirds of its time dangling outside of a window in the fourth wall and the game systems are designed with the assumption that the player will break them, and balanced with the assumption that the player will always be using the wide-open exploits left there for them.

Most JRPGs might as well be stamped out of a mould in an anonymous underground factory, but the Disgaeas (and every other NIS game, really) are like something created by feeding the right type of poisonous mushroom to a tribe of telepathic levitating frogs that live in a minaret on the moon.

3. KDR_11k says:

Disgaea games take grinding to levels that would make Xzibit proud. Enter an item to level your characters while you level the item! You better love level grinding because that’s what you’ll be doing for hours upon hours here.

Me, I already cannot be arsed to deal with the inventories for 10 party members (especially when every item is somewhat unique like in this game, two items with the same name are rarely identical so you’ll be looking through pages of seemingly identical stuff to check the details and spot the differences). Creating a bunch of extra characters and grinding those up as well just goes too far for me.

Yes, you can get 4 digit level numbers but that doesn’t mean that leveling goes faster than in a normal RPG with a cap of 60 or 99.

Though I have to say even without that I would probably not like these games, I bounced off Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because of too many things to micromanage, this has an order of magnitude more complexity.

• Terics says:

The grind in Disgaea is kind of massively overstated. If you make too many characters and try to actively keep them leveled,it will defiantly become a grind. But you can beat most games between 30 – 50 hours depending on how savvy you are. All the lvl 9999 stuff is for the postgame levels.

Even before you get into the hardcore stuff, there are ways to get levels pretty quickly, if you’re clever enough/look up a guide. The later games make this easier though(Disgaea 5 lets you send characters out to level on their own). In general I’d say always try the newest Disgaea game but, this game is pretty good too.

4. racccoon says:

Graphically ok, but Far too much time is spent looking at pop ups! also its a monopolized steam only game. so no to it for me.

5. Ejia says:

I used to hold out for NIS’ portable releases since they usually have everything the console versions have plus extras, and now they’re doing it again with PC releases?

Oh well, I had my fill of Disgaea 2 on the PSP.

6. Isendur says:

I always loved the world item music in this one. Great that it came to PC. Definitiely gonna waste hundreds of hours on this one.