Resident Evil 7 shows off DLC scares

While Resident Evil 7 [official site] DLC has started creeping onto PlayStations, sadly we need to wait for a few weeks because of some lousy exclusivity deal (‘sadly’ because RE7 is great, yeah?). But as we’ve not mentioned the DLC before and it’s out in the wild, rustling through the trees and rattling doorknobs, now seems a good time to have a gander at what’s coming. So! Two paid DLC packs will add a mish-mash of new modes and ministories, followed by a paid new story episode, then finally a new little storyline will arrive free in the spring.

The first two bits of RE7 DLC are ‘Banned Footage’ packs, each containing two new little scenarios and a new mode. Here, have a gander in this new trailer:

Banned Footage Vol. 1 will hit PC on February 21st. Capcom explain:

“This Vol. 1 pack includes ‘Nightmare,’ where Sewer Gators cameraman Clancy must craft weapons and ammo to face off against hordes of enemies to survive until morning. Also included is ‘Bedroom’ where Clancy must figure out how to get out of a locked bedroom in the Baker family’s plantation and make his escape but beware – Marguerite Baker won’t be happy if she knows he’s up and out of bed! Along with both of these scenarios is an infinitely replayable extra game mode called ‘Ethan Must Die’, which is an extra tough mode that is separate from the events of RE7.”

I like to imagine that Bedroom scenario involves a lot of quickly scampering back to bed and pretending to be really interested in the magazine you’re reading, with conversation trees to say things like “Oh! I didn’t hear you coming in!” and “Oh boy I’m so tired I could sleep for hours!” It won’t, obviously. But if people playing on PlayStation want to assure me that it definitely involves that, I’d be grateful.

Also coming on February 21st is Banned Footage Vol. 2 (on PlayStation, it’ll follow a fortnight after the first but not for us). Capcom say:

“In this Vol. 2 pack, the ‘banned footage’ scenarios include ’21’ and ‘Daughters.’ Players will need to gamble with their own life in a deadly game of ’21’ with Lucas Baker and then dive deeper into the Baker family’s life before the tragic events of Resident Evil 7 biohazard in ‘Daughters.’ An extra gameplay mode titled ‘Jack’s 55th Birthday’ provides a race against the clock as players serve up the Daddy of the family, Jack Baker, with tons of treats for his special celebration.”

And please, please let 21 be a really straightforward and earnest Blackjack minigame, which simply happens to be played at a table covered in festering meat. Perhaps you gamble with your own fingers.

After those will come the “additional story episode”, which is a mystery for now.

Then, come spring, Capcom will release the ‘Not a Hero’ free newbit, which they say is “a new separate storyline away from Ethan’s saga in the main game.”

That’s it. That’s your DLC. That’s the lot. The Banned Footage packs will cost $9.99 apiece and I can’t tell you how much the story episode will cost. The DLC season pass, including the lot, is £24.99/29,99€/$29.99 on Steam.

From this site

1. Jalan says:

Looking forward to the “Ethan Gets a Personality” DLC.

Joke aside, his weird non-presence throughout the game is the one serious gripe I have with it.

• gunny1993 says:

I like it, it adds some levity to the game when me and my housemate are playing it in the front room and shouting at the screen; at this dude who with total unconcern for the insane things around him, walking through abject horror with nary a moment of introspection.

Think the favourite bit so far was when we shouted ‘nah, this bitch aint worth this’ in unison when something rather scary happened.

• Jalan says:

You highlight part of what I found flawed with how he’s handled. The guy has to (at the time unknown to him that she’s essentially fine) end his wife’s life and he does so in a fashion that makes it seem like he’s been plucked from a Bret Easton Ellis novel, without the bits that made him interesting in it, with how emotionally detached the response he gives happens to be.

• Arch36 says:

An in interesting theory going around is saying that Ethan actually works for umbrella corp which could explain why he is so detached and calm. Yes, he should have more personality but this would explain his calmness around these insane events. It’s just a theory but id defiantly suggest looking into it, it brings up some really good points.

• int says:

In first person games I prefer a silent, or semi-silent protagonist.

• Jalan says:

Normally I’d find myself agreeing, but it’s Resident Evil and perspective shift or not – if Capcom’s intention is to use Ethan as the central character for future games, then they need to work on making him an ACTUAL character instead of an occasional one-liner type with (mostly) gnarled limbs.

Also, to be clear, when I say that’s my only real gripe with the game – I mean exactly that. I was (and still am) among those who didn’t immediately piss on the game before it ever released by dismissing it as some “Amnesia/Outlast/”must be what P.T.-Silent Hills was gonna be”” cash-in opportunity.

• Ross Angus says:

My personal preference is for a shrieker. Constantly startled and prone to fluttering their hands nervously, while doing a little jog.

2. Daymare says:

I thought “the first add-on is going to be a horde mode equivalent”. Is anyone interested in those in narrative-driven games?

Maybe I’m exaggerating but many “AAA” story-driven games seem to get DLC with horde or arena modes attached that I have absolutely no interest in getting. Off the top of my hat, games where they made no sense to me: Bioshock: Infinite had Columbia’s Finest, Alien: Isolation had Survivor Mode, Rise of the Tomb Raider had Cold Darkness, even Fallout 4 had Wasteland Workshop which sorta reminded me of that.

I get they all have their unique spins but they all seemed empty and boring compared to what the main game offered — or a story expansion.

I understand them as “cheap filler until we have finished the main story DLC we’re working on”.

• KenTWOu says:

many “AAA” story-driven games seem to get DLC with horde or arena modes… games where they made no sense to me: Bioshock: Infinite had Columbia’s Finest, Alien: Isolation had Survivor Mode…

From my point of view, Alien: Isolation was a mechanic-driven game, where the main point was to be thrilled/hunted/killed by autonomous alien AI. Considering the way the save system worked, Survivor Mode made perfect sense to me, because it allowed further experimentation with the game systems and AIs. Besides it’s nothing like horde or arena modes of other games, it’s almost like a single story mission with several objectives inside an expertly crafted environment (the first free map – the Basement – was the weakest of them all) starring a supporting character.

P.S: Bioshock: Infinite had Clash in the Clouds.

• Daymare says:

I can empathise with enjoying a version of A:I that’s more purely mechanics-centered. I was in for that a bit, but somewhat more for the story. I liked sneaking, hiding, scavenging and occasionally fighting quite a lot.

Ah yes, Columbia’s Finest was just downloadable gear (also bleh), thanks for the correction.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Alien: Isolation was a mechanic-driven game,

Literally!

3. Kefren says:

In the demo there was a bit where your hands were tied (and the camera on a tripod facing you) yet it still seemed to be a recording on a video camera, from your head position, which made no sense. Was that in the main game too?

• gunny1993 says:

Lol that happens a lot. The way they’ve done flashbacks is really cool, but there’s been a few times when the camera is in a totally silly position, or the fact someone is recording it is just stupid.

Although the second flashback has a fun little REC reference at the end

4. Muffintop says:

Rejoice, Alice, because Bedroom really does involve getting into and out of the bed several times, complete with dialogue options. A fun little puzzle room, that.

Comment on this story