Sunless Sea’s Pirate-Poet, Cladery Heir free to all players

Sunless Sea

All Sunless Sea [official site] players get access to the formerly Kickstarter-exclusive Pirate Poet and Cladery Heir content thanks to an update to the game today. Failbetter consulted with Kickstarter backers to see if they backed the move and the consensus was apparently “the more, the merrier”, or words to that effect.

I assume the timing is very much related to Sunless Skies (the Sunless Sea sequel*) starting its own Kickstarter campaign on 1 Feb so the more people are eyeballing Failbetter’s games, the better its chances of success.

So here’s the dillio with the extra bits of content:

The Pirate Poet
Captains, beware! The Pirate-Poet now zails the zee, seeking a worthy rival. The pirates of Gaider’s Mourn tell many stories of this clay corsair. Can you be the one to finally best her?

The Cladery Heir
A surgeon of such skill that she can amputate flaws of character and excise unwanted foibles…

The Cladery Heir is a new officer with her own storyline – during which you can acquire a new ship, the Cladery Heart. She can be picked up at Fallen London when you have ‘A New Recruit’ at 1 or more.

I’ve been meaning to go back to Sunless Sea for a while now – I meant to over Christmas and then seeing people IRL expanded to fill pretty much every available moment, so this might be just the excuse I’ve been needing. I’ve just booted up Steam and it looks like it’s applying an update right now. Unfortunately for me it might be a while until I see most of the new stuff because my PC had a rather dramatic catastrophic failure so my Failbetter save files have gone the way of the dodo on account of me forgetting they live in the AppData folder on the hard drive I had to format. I feel sad now :(

From this site

Aerothorn says:

Hey Pip – I did the exact same thing as you, and that was having probably 70-80 hours of playtime on the save. It sucked.

Fortunately: it’s really easy to edit an INI file to give yourself money, which at least lets you buy the ship, equipment, etc you had before, even if it does make you restart all the quests.

Cooper says:

I’d recommend gamesave manager:
      link to gamesave-manager.com

It’s a tad slow if you have lots of games installed, but it’s the best thing out there for the specific problem of keeping save games safe.

• aego says:

Uhm… Sunless Sea has steam cloud support, so those saves should still exist.

• Dynamique says:

Does it, by now? Anyway, I’m also part of the savegame-lost tribe and don’t feel like re-starting the big grind…

• buenaventura says:

I played this alot, and I liked it, but it is grindy. Editing an INI file to get some money sounds great though! Might go back!

2. Snowskeeper says:

Have had the Pirare Poet on my Fallen London account for a while now. Reconciling her appearance in Sunless Sea with that should be interesting.

3. damnsalvation says:

Can I kickstart the new one with Fate?

• Samuel Erikson says:

“Can I kickstart the new one with Fate?”

It seems PayPal & Fate are out this time around. From the KS FAQ:
      “Unfortunately not. You can use a debit or credit card associated with Visa, Discover (in the US), MasterCard, or American Express to back via Kickstarter.

For the Sunless Sea Kickstarter only 2% of people pledged via Fate, and it was quite a headache to manage two lists of backers when doing surveys, fulfilling rewards and communicating with backers after the Kickstarter ended. The same goes for maintaining a separate list of people who’ve backed via PayPal. Apologies!”

4. Talahar says:

Gotta say that’s mighty fine of the kickstarter backers and Failbetter. :)