Steam Charts: Incumbent Malice

Great Odin’s beard, it’s only the weekly Steam charts! That is to say, the ten games which sold best on Steam last week.

This week: new entries, old favourites, and a very dirty house indeed.

10. Tales of Berseria (pre-purchase)

An old JRPG series makes a belated move to PC. I’m not at all familiar with the Tales lineage, but screen-o-vids suggest it cleaves close to convention. This might well appeal to folk who felt that Final Fantasy XV’s languid carboys and cod-American landscapes were too far off the more traditionally-beaten track.

Incidentally, I just started playing FFXV and I’m having a grand old time. It’s so, so silly, which is ideal. Also I’m a little bit in love with James Bond-as-master-chef buddy Ignis.

9. Tales of Berseria

There’s yer pre-order/release version split at play. No, I do have access to the info that would allow me to consolidate these two positions and give us a different game at 10 instead. In any case: there’s clearly been a big appetite for this, even though it hasn’t registered all that much on the RPS radar.

8. Planet Coaster

Planet Coaster’s one of those games that, realistically, I’ll never get around to playing, because I am conscious that I have neither the spare time or the patience to achieve great things with it. Instead, I choose to live vicariously through videos of others’ wonderfully impressive creations, like this here Death Star trench run. Granted, this isn’t at quite the same scale, but we had a good couple of years of watching amazing things recreated in Minecraft, and it’s most pleasant indeed for me and fellow lazies to have a heir apparent to that.

7. Astroneer

This is fast on the way to joining Planet Coaster as another chart perennial, and it too offers a rich vein of creativity. Another one I’m being an armchair observer of – not purely from laziness, but also because I struggle to settle in one place for long enough in a space game to want to do much in the way of base building.

6. Grand Theft Auto V

I’m really going to miss Peter Capaldi as The Doctor. He was given mostly lousy stories and was unfortunately saddled with the arse-end of the previous Doctor’s overblown arcs, but always made them watchable nonetheless due to his sheer presence. To have someone of that kind of skill be this invested in something so fundamentally silly is a rare occurrence indeed. Still, we get another season of him before he goes, and now that his Doctor has settled into an extremely Doctorish hybrid of Tom Baker and John Pertwee rather than the not-totally-successful sociopathic figure of his first season, hopefully his best is yet to come.

5. For Honor

Not due out until Valentine’s day (roses are red, violets are blue, I’ve just decapitated everyone you care about with a poleaxe), but obtaining an early entry in the charts due to excitement around its just-ended closed beta. Leaks suggest that a full open beta is due on Feb 9-12, however, so if that’s on the money you should get a chance to sample Ubisoft’s knights vs vikings vs samauri multiplayer brawler for no-pennies, before deciding if you want More Of This Sort Of Thing or not.

4. H1Z1: King of the Kill

Didn’t make anything like this kind of a dent at initial launch. I never had this pegged as one that would be haunting the charts for weeks on end – and possibly months to come, as there does tend to be something of a snowball effect for multiplayer titles. People go where the biggest playerbase is.

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

I spent a few weeks avoiding the news, as a means of self-protection. Inevitably, current events have made this impossible. I am very worried. I wonder how many regular CS:GO players are similarly worried?

2. RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

My prediction was correct. A deserved top-spotter for sure – I’ve been having a grand old ‘orrible time with the claustrophobia, menace and gross-out humour of Resi 7. I have a few issues with how it limits progress/egress to very specific items, and the dialogue is hammy without owning the hamminess, but by God this is a tight, agreeably overwhelming and brilliant shocking game. I’ve been shrieking like a five-year-old on a rollercoaster at it too, whereas I usually play horror games in anxious silence. This is an Evil Dead game in everything but name. Wonderful stuff.

1. RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

I believe this is the pre-order/release split at play again, as the second Resi 7 package, including a DLC season pass, is specifically dubbed a ‘Deluxe Edition’ – words which you’ll note are absent from the title of this entry. If I’m right on this, that means the Deluxe Edition has not made the top ten – perhaps not entirely surprising, given the big departures Resi 7 makes from series tradition made it something of an unknown quantity. I suspect a fair few players will be picking up the season pass now, though.

I’ve not quite finished the main campaign myself yet, but I’m certainly on-board for DLC, presuming it isn’t just challenge rooms. I want more of the creeping dread that comes from exploring a big place, not knowing when something’s going to kick off, not isolated SAW challenges.

1. fencenswitschen says:

I totally agree with your GTA V text!

Guess that is a running gag, missed that before. Nice. Proceed.

• Vandelay says:

I don’t (accept for how great Capaldi has been.) The last series of Doctor Who was great from all aspects and not just because of the Doctor. The tower episode alone was just simply sublime.

Christmas one was a bit of a dud though (as they normally are.)

particlese says:

I also agree, with the exception that I really liked how the writing for his Doctor took a break from the new run’s penchant for gushing. At least that’s the impression I was left with – Doctorial madness and well-earned high fives, but without all the Teletubbies, purple dinosaurs, car-stealing, casual pedestrian drive-bys, cop-shooting, dildo bats and dubstep guns, infinite dragons, and other such nonsense coming along for the ride.

2. KFee says:

lol that Berseria shit, people have weird tastes, or maybe it’s just me :)

• fray_bentos says:

Same here, never did get J-RPGs, J-anime, J-pop, or numerous other things from J-apan. I’ve had to block 10-30% of users on other gaming websites powered by Disqus just so that I can read the comments section without having an anime-induced epileptic fit.

• peterlarge says:

JRPG’s and Japanese games in general have a very distinct design philosophy than what we are used to in the west, so if you are someone like me who has played a ridiculous amount of different games for the last 20 years, want to experience something new and can actually tolerate the anime aesthetics then it is a good time to try JRPG’s since a lot of them are coming to PC these recent years. I can absolutely see why they look strange and stupid but for me, at least, it is very refreshing. The same can be applied to any Japanese media products, they are far from overall incredibility (God, 80% of a new season’s animes are just trash) they are just something different.

• Pich says:

I wish i could do the same on this site, because a lot of the user base goes in a frothing rage every time there’s an article on a game that didn’t start on a british microcomputer in the 90s.

• aerozol says:

Other cultures are weird, my culture is normal.

• fray_bentos says:

Indeed. Check out “Gal Gun Double Peace”. Or, to summarise; anime-themed game about chasing/groping school girls, with BDSM themes

3. skeletortoise says:

I appreciate the deliberate discussion of a mediocre and overrated show in place of a mediocre and overrated game.

• skeletortoise says:

Am I missing something re: CS Go text context?

Nauallis says:

I think that it depends on whether or not you have skin in the game, if you’ll pardon the pun.

4. Aitrus says:

I’ll tune back into Doctor Who when Steven Moffat leaves. Is he gone yet or is he around for one more season, too?

That Resident Evil Steam title is so weird…

• Minglefingler says:

He’s around for one more series and I think the Xmas special. I’ll be glad to see him go, I liked his work to begin with but he sets up stories that he doesn’t finish ( the Silents were explained with one throwaway line after being a huge mystery for a year or two) and he’ll give a character a line that doesn’t work in context because he thinks it’s clever. It often is but becomes jarring in the situation it’s said in, leaving the impression that Moffat would rather show off than write a cohesive story.

5. frightlever says:

I haven’t even watched the Dr Who Xmas special from last year. I gave up on the normal series but I usually always watched the Christmas episode. Those guys just want to write Sherlock/Dr Who slash fiction and have done with it.

6. InfamousPotato says:

Y’know, I don’t give a hoot about what’s selling well (except in the case of obscure indie games, whose success makes me feel happy inside), but I do very much enjoy reading your summary each week. Thanks for writing.