Dontnod Eleven’s Battlecrew Space Pirates blasts into early access

Even though they started with kicking faces and are moving onto sucking necks, I’ll always associate the name Dontnod with the time-travelling teen drama of Life Is Strange. So yup, I’m still double-taking seeing the name Dontnod as Battlecrew Space Pirates [official site] enters early access. This multiplayer side-on shooter is made by Dontnod Eleven, mind, the studio known as Hesaw before it buddied up with Dontnod Entertainment. You don’t take time out from shooting folks with your spacepirate pals to sit on a spaceswing and quietly enjoy some spacemusic, or shout at Spacewarren to go away. I don’t think so, at least.

Battlecrew Space Pirates sees, y’know, space pirates scrapping for treasure and glory. You shoot people! Its four characters classes have different weapons along with various abilities like dashes, wallclimbing, shields, building walls, speed boosts, and a whole lot of explosions. The initial early access launch has two modes, plain ol’ team deathmatch and a booty-grabbing mode, though more are to come.

The game is £4.89/6,99€/$6.99 on Steam, which includes a launch discount. Dontnod Eleven hope to launch out of early access after two-to-six months, adding new content and tweaking it following feedback along the way.

Any of y’all side-scrolling multishoot peeps into this? It’s not really my field of expertise. I know Kirk McKeand dug Cobalt? I know dear old Soldat still has an active community? You tell me.

GO AWAY, SPACEWARREN.

From this site

1. Lim-Dul says:

I’m getting an Awesomenauts vibe here.

2. Madzack says:

Can’t writers make Pirate Girl say anything more original than “Girl Power! N00bs”? Like say, “I’m a pirate and I’m gonna load down a whole torrent of pain!!”

• Don Reba says:

The trailer is a real workout for those cringe muscles.

• slerbal says:

Oh god yes! “I will find you and I will skin you” as a Taken pastiche is almost as bad as the Girl Power. I could live with that until I saw it was Team Deathmatch rather than a coop game I thought it might be. Not for me.

• Kelvin says:

The girl pirate can say whatever the girl pirate wants to say; she’s the one with the ray-blaster.

Sure she probably could have been more original by our standards, but by that time in the future saying “Girl-Power!” or “n00bs!” is probably a self-referencing futurejoke the equivalent of saying “Yarrr, avast ye scally-swabs!” while piloting your speedboat to knock off some Somali-bound container ships.

3. Von Uber says:

Space Warren always needs to bugger off.

4. Baines says:

It is one of those games where the more I watch the trailer, the less interested I become. Which is pretty amazing, since I thought my interest had already bottomed out 30 seconds in when it became obvious it was yet another versus multiplayer game.

So, what is the over-under for how many weeks until the online community for this one is dead?

5. racccoon says:

Wow sidescrolling is a craze again! things never change! this looks nice though! :)

6. Kollega says:

Sigh. The whole “feline aliens are at best ruthless warriors and at worst petty assholes” thing is so utterly passe. Why do we never get ruthless militaristic alien empires based off dogs, and about the only example of heroic catlike aliens in gaming are Lombaxes from Ratchet & Clank?

Sometimes I wonder… do I really have to “make my own heroic catlike species if I’m so upset”? Yes? Oh well. *goes back to the writing-and-designing bunker and shuts the blast door behind him*

• ButteringSundays says:

Because dogs are awesome and cats are assholes*.

(* I like cats, but they are assholes.)

• Kollega says:

And dogs can make for great “evil authority figure” and “mindless masses” characters in an adaptation of We or Nineteen Eighty-Four – but we never see that, do we?

My issue with “cats are always evil assholes and dogs are always knights in shining armour” was always less that it is “unfair” towards cats – because yes, their attitude is perfectly exemplified by Ratchet’s line from the movie that goes: “Careless is such a strong word, I prefer “carefree”!” – and more that it is depressingly one-sided. You (almost) never see the “undying loyalty” that’s apparently the greatest strength of dogs shown as a bad thing simply due to them being loyal to the wrong people.

7. Shinan says:

Could this be a bit like Showdown Effect? That game is such an underrated gem in my opinion. Too bad it is a multiplayer only game but it does tend to be revived every now and then if we get a big enough group together to play for a bit.

• vahnn says:

That was my favorite game for a solid the or for weeks! I even bought 4 copies for a buck each and gave them to some friends, but they didn’t take to it, and the game seemed to die out pretty quickly. Every time there’s a sale there are a few dozen plays for a week and it’s fun to go back to.

8. Danda says:

Multiplayer only?

Listen, I own your previous titles and I know making “real” games is expensive, but I’ll never buy a multiplayer game.

All the indie companies make this mistake and it rarely ends well. (RIP United Front)

Comment on this story