Final Fantasy XV director dreams of PC port with mods

Square Enix still haven’t announced a PC port for Final Fantasy XV [official site], but I am cheered by game’s director saying he would like to bring the anime boyband roadtrip over. Hajime Tabata even says he’d be interesting in special PC features like mod support. This is, unfortunately, not a plan. It’s not an announcement. It’s not confirmation. It’s not even really a hint. But, as a short answer in a short interview, I am digging this. Please, Square Enix, let the rowdy boys come out to play.

I know I call FFXV an anime boyband road trip but really it’s about a prince and his pals travelling to his wedding when his homeland is invaded and his father killed. It is a road trip, mind, complete with camping and beautiful authentic campfood. Continuing the series slow shift away from turn-based combat, it has real-time hack ‘n’ slash ‘n’ zap action with optional pauses if you want to gather your thoughts.

Meet these nice boys:

As for the mooted PC version, here’s what Hajime Tabata said in the latest issue of Japanese magazine Weekly Famitsu, as relayed by Esuteru and translated by Gematsu:

“I’d like to release the game on PC as a technical attempt. I want to show PC users Final Fantasy XV running on high-end machines, and we personally would like to see it, too. Also, I would like to try developing on PC to pursue a unique way of playing with PC-exclusive features like making your own quests and enjoying the world using things like mods.”

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

I’d be surprised if Squeenix don’t release a PC version eventually, as they’ve ported heaps of Final Fantasy games modern and ancient to PC in recent years. For now, all we know is that they’re still busy expanding and improving the console release, overhauling one chapter, adding new scenes, and so on. Maybe once they’re done with that, we’ll see?

If turnips were watches, I’d wear one by my side.

From this site

1. SaintAn says:

Not even mods could fix this mess.

• noodlecake says:

It’s a mess? I haven’t played it but I read a lot of positive reviews, and my friend likes it.

What about it makes it a mess?

• Longestsprout says:

Most “messes” these days are pretty subjective.

• sicanshu says:

I can’t speak for SaintAn, but as someone who’s spent 70-odd hours on it (and enjoyed the vast majority), I will say there are aspects that can fairly be described as “messy.” Notably: the story. As long as you’re just driving around fishing, camping, and killing stuff, the game is great fun. But the second it starts trying to tell a serious story, it absolutely shits the bed. For whatever reason, Squeenix chose to relegate the majority of important plot points and character development (outside the boy band) to that CGI movie Kingsglaive they released. The game itself just gives you the “Cliff’s Notes” version, then somehow expects you to care about these people who you were literally just introduced to. “Huh. That old guy died. People look upset. Wonder who he was? Well, fuck it, let’s go ride chocobos.” And then it becomes fun again.

• Vandelay says:

I think that this is a little unfair, although I haven’t played a huge amount. That early death was a sad moment for me, not because I felt their loss, but because of a lead character felt the loss. It may not have been the most poignant moments in fiction, but it worked reasonably well compared to other games. Similar with the story as a whole, it may not be superb, but it has me intrigued enough to make me want to continue with it. I also have not seen any of the other material around the game and this is my first FF game, and I feel pretty clear on everything going on.

Not sure if using the original Japanese voice with subtitles helps. Perhaps it is a case of The Witcher 1 where the translated English VO was distracting.

As for the article, I think it is unlikely to happen. Statements like this means it is not being worked on. Not impossible, but certainly not any time soon. Wish it could happen though; the PS4 version runs like crap.

• sicanshu says:

That’s a fair point. I think I would probably be more forgiving of the story’s failures if this was my first Final Fantasy. It bothers me because I KNOW they can do better. Compared to 2, 6, 7, 9, and even 10 and 12 (to a lesser extent), the story in 15 is like bad fan-fic. It’s still worlds better than 13, but I’ve had cold sores I liked more than that one.

• Moraven says:

By the time the PC version comes out, the fixes that they already announced will be in. Which should help the story a little bit.

2. Halk says:

Stop dreaming. Start doing.
    Why wouldn’t there be a PC version anyway? All other main installments plus Type-0 have one (1, 2 and 12 coming soon).

3. Spuzzell says:

“anime boyband roadtrip”

That’s a surreal level of unappealing.

I also bought FF13 when it was released on PC.

For both those reasons, I am out.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I don’t want to even consider a world in which something that ridiculous is “unappealing”, jeez.

As for me, I’m with Alice on this, I can’t wait for it to get to PC. FF has had some ups and downs, but I usually find SOMETHING to love about any given one, and I’ve seen enough of XV to feel I’m probably going to be head over heels.

• Werthead says:

I think they learned a lot from FF13. Mainly, “Let’s never make FF13 again.”

4. Kyuurei says:

Long time fan of the FF games (even if the last couple of single player were really bad, ff12 and 13), but I’m out of the console market. I think a bunch of people getting older are too, you get a PC for work, might as well invest a bit more use it as a gaming machine now that good components are way cheaper than they used to be. At this point i don’t know anyone that buys consoles for a single exclusive as well. PC version is the only way you’ll get me to buy this (and I’ll gladly do it if it runs well), but if it is never ported or just a shitty port, I’ll simply move to the next game, it’s not like there’s nothing good around.
    Having said that, I’m pretty sure they are going to port it down the line, they did it with the horrible 13 serie, I don’t see why they shouldn’t do it with this one which is much more well received despite some problems.

5. Penguinho says:

Mod support brings all the boys to the yard.

6. noodlecake says:

12 isn’t bad at all. It’s the complete opposite of 13.

12 has the best (As in has the most strategic depth) combat of any of the main series and the game is mostly built around that.

It was weaker than the previous few games when it came to it’s story, which I guess is a big part of why people tend to like FF games, but it makes up for it in a lot of other gameplay related ways.

FFXIII is just bad, however. Walk in a straight line, have battles you have no control over, level up characters in ways you have hardly any control over. There’s no strategy, barely an attempt at even creating an illusion of freedom, and the characters are annoying.

• lordcooper says:

You’re kidding, right?

The gambit system made it so that the combat didn’t even require your input. I literally left the game running during a boss fight and went to make a cup of tea, nothing bad happened in my absence.

• Deadly Sinner says:

If you really love to do pointless micromanagement on easy fights, then you are free to not use gambits. Maybe you loved mindlessly mashing attack for hours in previous Final Fantasies, but I sure didn’t.

7. swaan says:

I really hope it will include the Kingsglaive movie and the anime shorts.

8. racccoon says:

We don’t want a port! we want a game made for the PC! + if they don’t hurry up and make it for the PC, it’ll be way too old to play. :)

Comment on this story