New-new BioWare ‘action-adventure’ due by March 2018

The mysterious new-new BioWare game the studio have teased since 2014 is due to launch by the end of March 2018, Electronic Arts have said. They call it an “action-adventure” game, say it’s set somewhere new, and mention multiplayer goings-on.

EA raised the new game during an earnings call for investors on Tuesday, saying it’s due at the end of their 2018 fiscal year (which ends on March 31st, 2018). EA CEO Andrew Wilson described the “all-new IP” thusly:

“A clean-sheet design with new concepts, new game play mechanics and new stories, set in a unique new universe. This game has the potential to fundamentally disrupt the way people think about an action title, bringing friends together to play in an exhilarating new way.”

Ooh! Disruptive! How very 2012. Multiplayer is in the most recent Mass Effect and Dragon Age, but not as the focus, so maybe don’t read too much into that yet.

Asked later which genre it’d fall into, Wilson said:

“So, it’s action-adventure, not RPG. So, what we’re starting to see more and more in game genres is kind of genre melding, which is great components of a number of different genres really kind of coming together into single games. And so, when you think about this game, you should be thinking about the great RPG character development and storyline progression that BioWare is known for, but in a world of greater action and greater adventure, which is growing to be one of the larger categories in games.”

BioWare general manager Aaryn Flynn followed up in a blog post:

“In 2012, we began crafting a new universe full of new characters, stories, and gameplay. Our ambition is simple: Draw upon 20+ years of development knowledge and lessons to create something fun and new for you to enjoy with your friends.

“There’s nothing quite as exciting as building a new IP from scratch, and it will be even more thrilling for us to share more with you in the future.”

I don’t know, Flynn – have you tried tobogganing? That’s great, that.

Presumably this is being lead by BioWare’s original studio in Edmonton, who have been quiet since handing Mass Effect over to the Montreal studio for Andromeda. BioWare Austin, the studio founded to make Star Wars: The Old Republic, did have a new-new game coming, the urban fantasy multiplayer action-RPG Shadow Realms, but EA cancelled it in 2015.

Maybe we’ll start hearing more after Mass Effect: Andromeda‘s March launch.

1. -Spooky- says:

Cyberpunk 2077? *oh wait*

2. hemmer says:

The ONLY thing that would surprise me with regards to a multiplayer title nowadays would be solid co-op.

We’ve been getting a bit more of that the last few years but overall it’s still not a lot compared to the shit-ton of competitive games.

Where’s the next Portal 2 multiplayer? :|

• ButteringSundays says:

Seriously? It seems every other game I look at these days is a co-op. As someone who has no local gaming buddies it tends to wind me up. Grass is always greener I guess! :)

• hemmer says:

‘SOLID’ co-op is what I said though. :P
        Sure more games have it than they used to, but like most MP-modes, no matter what kind, they’re pretty slapdash.

Which is a whole other problem though.

3. piercehead says:

“since hanging Mass Effect”

Say it ain’t so, Alice!

4. RaoulDuke says:

Is this why Mass Effect: Andromeda looks a bit naff? Not enough focus on one product at a time?

They still haven’t shown a mission being played from start to finish and the game is out in less than 2 months. Is it a much smaller scale game than ME2/3 and they just haven’t/won’t tell us that?

I’m not trying to be conspiratorial I just haven’t seen anything very impressive or coherent so far, it looks a bit by the numbers at this point tbh.

p.s. – I loved ME 2+3 [Just missed the time for ME1 and its in the backlog now], but Andromeda is leaving me cold.

• Khayness says:

Well it will be BioWare Montreal’s first game, since the studio was created to handle the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and iirc they made the Omega DLC.

So mostly it’s a BioWare game in name. That’s why I find it so lacking personally.

MajorLag says:

I was thinking along similar lines, but in an entirely different direction I guess. Is this why Mass Effect Andromeda has shown so little? Because it’s just a cover for the development some completely new franchise?

I doubt it, because Mass Effect’s popularity makes Andromeda an easy cash in even if it isn’t any good, but it would be interesting.

• Fredward says:

Probably not? Bioware has multiple offices doing independent things.

5. Laurentius says:

Well, I read this as EA attempt to grab their share of Destiny /Division pie. If Activision and Ubi can do it, then we have to do it too. A bit sad to see Bioware to be relegated to that servant studio role.

• brucethemoose says:

Exactly.

But Bioware-style dialogue trees could make this attempt more interesting.

Nauallis says:

Plots that actually make sense, from the perspectives of both continuity and storyline, especially from the start… that alone would be a huge step.

• Kollega says:

I actually wouldn’t immediately object to a Destiny-a-like on PC that’s not set in the “grim-and-gritty toooooooopical modern-day setting”. I liked Borderlands, at least (well, the one game without Handsome Jack in it, anyway) – so who knows, maybe I could find a Destiny-type game tolerable too.

• draglikepull says:

Yes, it sounds like they’re trying to position it as “Destiny but with more story.”

6. brucethemoose says:

My money is on something modern day, or maybe historical.

But that genre spiel is non-news, as Bioware had been taking the RPG out of their RPGs ever since ME1.

Call me sacrilegious, a spoiled millennial or what have you, but I’m actually looking forward to that. Stat min-maxing, juggling loot and so on just isn’t as fun as it used to be, but that “character development and storyline progression” is the whole reason I trudge through it. If the real-time gameplay gets my heart beating (like ME3 does at higher difficulties), then that’s just a cherry on top.

7. aircool says:

Something Shadow of Mordor-esque perhaps?

8. ZippyLemon says:

“what we’re starting to see more and more in game genres is kind of genre melding…”

‘STARTING TO SEE’?

It’s nice that it will completely change what I think of when I hear “action game” though. At the moment it brings to mind Tom Cruise fronting blue/orange-schemed boxart, waving a gun, with a scowling, vaguely eastern European looking man peeking out from behind him (probably the baddie). And who wants that?

9. Khoryos says:

This really sounds like they’re bringing back Shadow Realms (link to youtube.com), maybe with a new coat of paint.

10. Turkey says:

He’s right. These Zeldas and Tomb Raiders have really taken off in recent years.

11. Nibblet says:

Given the absolutely abysmal writing in their last few titles, not to mention swtor’s latest expansion, which is arguably “Bioware’s” largest title, i really can’t muster any enthusiasm for anything with a Bioware label anymore.

12. FordTruck says: