What are we all playing this weekend?

See, it’s February already. There we go. So you may as well answer: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: It was a fright-filled January, with both Detention and Resident Evil 7 providing puddles of gloom for me to splash around in, and I’m keeping the horror rolling with an early build of 2 Dark, the stealth kidnap-killer game from the creator of original flavour Alone in the Dark. If all goes to plan, by Monday morning I’ll have been murdered by clowns several times.
Alec: I’m on the final mile of Resident Evil 7, which I’ve been playing in one-hour daily chunks. 60 minutes is about the point that the stress of it gets on top of me and I need to go and pet the cat or stare at some flowers for a while instead. It’s a magnificent slice of horror, so much so that the tension is hard to bear at points.
Alice: These past few weekends I’ve joked that I should rest an aching wrist but instead I’d play this or that. And play I did! Might have been foolish. This weekend, I shall play nothing, taking it slowly and enjoying quiet cups of tea with my wrist makes noises like balloons bursting as I raise the cup.
Brendan: I still haven’t finished Virginia, which is as criminal as the perpiest perp. I was brow-furrowingly hooked for the first hour of it, so I ought to go back. If I spend all my time Overwatching myself into a coma or adding to a terrible 9 match losing streak in Duelyst, somebody please come and snap my neck for crimes against VGs.
Graham: I have friends visiting, which means I’m realistically not going to play anything at all. If I was going to play something though, I’d either be going back to Hitman now that I’ve ‘finished’ it so that I can continue trying to find interesting methods of infiltration and assassination, or I’d be giving Resident Evil 7 a whirl. I’m not a huge horror fan but I did like Resis 1 and 2 when I was a wee lad.
John: I really plan to spend some more time playing Sunless Sea for my Game Swap with Pip, but I’m struggling. I’m struggling to find the way in, the way into caring about what’s happening – everything seems so frivolous and tepid so far. What I really want to be playing is a big lavish ARPG, but people keep forgetting to make them. Someone make one of those by Sunday please.
Philippa: This weekend I have a number of smaller games installed and ready to go. Whether that means they will actually get played or whether it will be done during next week’s lunch breaks is anyone’s guess, though! On a more definite front I will be catching up with some friends I’ve not seen in a long time and wearing my cosy jumper. These are such tiny ambitions but will bring much happiness!

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. Shazbut says:

I picked up the original Colonization yesterday and had to tear myself away from it. It’s so good!

• Stugle says:

It’s a wonderful game! I introduced my 9-year old daughter a few weeks ago and she loves it! I’m planning on using it as a gateway drug for more turn- based strategy. :)

• Shazbut says:

You could use it as a gateway-drug to a career as a foreign diplomat or professor of postcolonialism. It genuinely makes history fun.

To be honest, I’m also using it to wean myself onto class A substances like Stellaris

• Rainshine says:

Horrible confession: Despite loving it, playing through Civ I-V, CTP I and II, and SMAC, I have never finished/won Colonization.

2. astronaute says:

Conan Exiles !
    Despite the very rough start, this game is really getting more interesting the more I play it. Also, the devs seems to be mobilized, the game is patched several times already in few days.
    Currently discovering the Thrall system (slaves) :)

3. Stellar Duck says:

I imagine I shall finish off Blood and Wine and then finally be done with Witcher as a series for good. Can’t see myself ever going back. It’s taken me 7 months to complete the third one.

Aside from that I imagine I’ll either do some Scourge of War and mess about with Antietam or see if anyone might be up for PBEM game of Civil War 2.

• dogwaddle says:

I finished it a couple weeks ago. I liked the world and atmosphere so much I plan on going back to it in ~6 months to do new game plus. I do wish there was less of the Ubisoft style busy work(monster nests & bandit camps) and more vignettes. What was your favorite story from B&W? I really liked the Banker quest and the talking horse one.

• Stellar Duck says:

Bearing in mind that I’ve not actually managed to play it at all (weekend went pearshaped) I think my favourite moment was Geralt in the bank, trying to get the forms and what not. There was something very amusing about this huge, trained killer, bristling with weapons and force, being forced to just hang about and wait for a bureaucracy. It felt a bit like a glimpse into a future where witchers are a relic of the past and no longer has a place.

4. someoneelse84 says:

I will be dying against Prince Lorian and Prince Lothric over and over again and then I will play Bash My Head Against Something Hard and Spiky.

5. dangermouse76 says:

Fallout 4 spoilers:

Final run through of Fallout 4 this time going with the institute.
    Just finished up the Brotherhood of Steel. Which was hilarious as I took Nick with me most of the time and they didn’t bat an eyelid.I really hope story crossover has a bit more effort put into it next time. They should have shot Nick on site really.

Then it’s off to Mass Effect 3 to see what that has to offer.

• Penguinho says:

Do make sure that you have at least the Citadel DLC. It makes everything so much better.

• Iamblichos says:

Same here. I keep falling back into Fallout 4… it has become my “meh, nothing else exciting out right now” game. I wanted to buy Conan Exiles just from the ridiculous reviews to see the constantly flapping e-peens for myself, but the reviews also make it sound beyond broken, so perhaps I’ll hold off until the game mechanics are fixed.

• dangermouse76 says:

Truly a golden age of gaming “dong sliders.”
        I actually dont anything about this game.

6. Herzog says:

Playing the upgrade your pc hardware game! New case, psu and gpu needed.

Also will try to get into NEO Scavenger finally.

Captain Narol says:

Birthright + Crusader Kings = ?

Answer : Sovereignty Crown of Kings !

Edited by Slitherine, made by The Lordz (Panzer Corps, Warhammer 40000 : Armaggedon) and just released on Steam this week. Can’t wait to dive in and conquer this fantasy world full of lore !

And for some relaxing online brawling with cards and minis :

Warbands Bushido, Magic Duels and Smite Tactics.

8. Ghostwise says:

Still plodding through Fallout 2 like a man with a bum leg wearing power armour. Mostly because I’m taking a jillion notes.

But stuff like the article about weapons in old Fallout games is getting good.

9. gabrielonuris says:

Ghost Recon Future Soldier this time. Didn’t got an invite to the beta, and too poor at the moment to buy at launch, so instead of Wildlands, Future Soldier.

My God, I never thought that game could be so juicy. It reminds me of the first time I played a Splinter Cell game and got all excited by the miriad of gadgets and ways to accomplish a mission, let it be stealthly or action-y!

It’s unbelievable how Ubisoft made a good work coding the AI of team mates on SP campaign, and a shame that now the Tom Clancy franchise is just a bunch of online shooters. Ooh, we’ll never get another proper done SP Tom Clancy title ever again, will we?!

10. Syrion says:

I’ve been giving Rainbow Six Siege a shot. It’s really good fun, incredibly well thought out, oozes polish. Great performance, too. But, it’s quite a bit intimidating trying to get into a multiplayer game with a steep learning curve at first (Played the first 3 hours only singleplayer), and a bit uncomfortable afterwards being mixed with long time playing “pros” and lots of “noobs” like oneself. Great game, I’m sure, but probably not for me in my current situation.

• Agnosticus says:

Yeah, this is a big problem with games that have such a high skill cealing! After around a year after release, they are very hard to get into, especially if it’s not recommended to solo queue!

I’d recommend only playing ranked when you hit lvl 20, then it gets much better.

I nearly felt sorry for “spawn killing” (it’s not real sk) the greenhorns, but I just couldn’t resist, it’s part of the game ;) and an important strat at that!

11. Vandelay says:

Last week I mentioned that I had installed Crusader Kings 2 on a random whim, after having bounced off it a couple of times. I only managed to get a few plays of it in over the course of the week, but I think I am starting to see the light.

I was playing as William the Conqueror. I nearly crashed and burned early on with some English assaults on France, but somehow managed to scrape by and managed to recover a bit. Unfortunately, once I tried to actually invade England my army just wasn’t strong enough to maintain hold of it. Those early battles also gave a big dent to my warscore and the mountain was just too high to climb (one battle gave me a -50%!)

So, I’m looking to start again as someone else. Any recommendations?

Will also continue giving Rainbow Six Siege’s free weekend a play. I’m enjoying it, but not a fan at all of the unlock system at the moment. I’m still playing operations to try and get enough of the ingame currency to unlock the recommended 3 attackers, 3 defenders before entering a multiplayer game. At least I am enjoying the operations mode, but it does feel wrong to be playing a multiplayer game in singleplayer mode so much. I can understand some gating to make sure players understand the game concepts before dropping them in with other people, but this feels a bit excessive.

• MiniMatt says:

First important to say that losing a battle, a war, or a hundred years of progress, is not the end of a CK2 playthrough – there is huge value in taking the hits & rolling with them.

Last I played was some time ago now & patches change things, but the old advice was always to go with somewhere quieter for your first play – typically one of the Ireland counts. Concentrate on unifying Ireland first, try to keep out of the way of England, then perhaps expand one way or another into Scotland/Wales.

• Penguinho says:

Ireland used to be the place to start but I don’t think it is anymore, at least not at the earliest start date. The various pagan types pose a threat that never existed for Irish counts and dukes in older versions.

Captain Narol says:

Contrary to the usual recommandations, I would rather recommand to start as the king/emperor of a strong kingdom, Byzantine Empire or Holy Roman Empire for example, as it will make conquests easier and you will have more interesting things to do.

You will also probably have to face more revolts and hostile plots but that’s the salt of the game !

As someone said before, don’t give up if you lose a war, rebuilding your power is part of the game and you’ll learn a lot during the process.

The purpose of the game is to build a dinasty and a network of alliances, you miss a good part of it if you stop to play early and don’t see the fruits of the seeds you have planted.

12. Faldrath says:

“Big, lavish ARPG”? Tried Path of Exile yet, John? Best one out there by some margin, really.

I’ll be playing that, and the other PoE (Pillars of Eternity) while I wait for the new Torment. Oh, and Pathfinder Adventures on my phone. That’s one brilliant game, there. Brilliant.

Lars Westergren says:

Nice, someone else who has heard of Pathfinder Adventures. Yes it’s very good. Attention people who want real games on mobiles or like boardgames and cardgames: you should try Pathfinder Adventures. You *can* microtransaction it forever, but the economic choice is to try the free first adventure, and if you like it buy the complete game for about the same price as a Steam game.

Me, I’m playing RE 7. It’s good.

13. Chorltonwheelie says:

I bagged Battlefield Hardline for under four quid and I’m having a fine old time with it. Yeah, stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Whoop, whoop that’s the sound of the police!

14. jalf says:

I fell into a Sunless Sea-shaped hole again last night, so that’s my weekend gone.

And John, if it helps:

Don’t trade or fight. Trading is generally not profitable, unless you know of a few very specific routes. And combat just plain sucks. So just explore, and make your money from exploration and delivering port reports. And don’t think in videogame terms of “I’d better hug the coast and stick to the area nearest London until I’ve got a few upgrades”. Stock up on fuel and food and strike out into the unknown. You can traverse the entire map in the starting ship, so throw yourself into the unknown and see what you find.

(And personal preference: I’ve found it’s much easier to stay immersed in the game if I don’t have other music or podcasts playing, and just let the game’s own soundtrack provide the ambience during the long zee journeys)

• Stugle says:

I only really enjoyed Sunless Sea once I swallowed my pride and cheated. Simply gave myself a huge wad of cash (a few million maybe?) and that made all the difference. I still had to watch fuel and supply levels, I still feared combat with nearly anything, and I still had to traipse back and forth to get the right artifact/resource/thingamajig to push forward in the various story threads, but at least it allowed me to always buy enough coal to be able to continue sailing. I realize I’m missing out on some of the more dramatic life-or-death-or-madness options, but that’s a price I’m willing to pay to actually play the game and enjoy it. :)

• jalf says:

First of all, as long as you’re enjoying the game, that’s the main thing, pride or no. :)

But I also think that’s actually less cheating than you realize. Once you get the hang of it, you can easily make enough money to cover your costs just by sailing around and gathering port reports anyway. Shortage of money really isn’t a major part of the game IMO.

I think when people struggle for money in the game it’s often because they try to play the game in a way it doesn’t reward. For example, trying to make money by trading, or playing too cautiously and sticking close to London. If you just try to visit as many ports as possible with each trip, you’ll usually make a tidy profit.

So since money isn’t that hard to come by anyway, I don’t actually think you’re losing anything important by giving yourself infinite money. :)

• cardboardcity says:

Maybe RPS should do (or maybe has done) an article on the ethics and payoff of cheating in games. There are some, Football Manager comes to mind, where it’s warranted for me. If I invest a lot of time building a team (character, whatever) I’m not that thrilled to lose it all because the computer makes a 1 in a million die roll and permadeaths my butt.

15. Mi-24 says:

first I will be playing “get rid of this bloody hangover so I can play some games” followed by maybe some Hitman or dishonoured

16. DEspresso says:

To add to the other Fallout guys, I finally finished New Vegas =)

Yay! LW2 here I come

heretic says:

Get better soon Alice! There are some skullfaces to put daggers through.

18. NetharSpinos says:

I shall be playing Buggery My Leg Hurts: The Game! It mostly involves writhing in pain and listening to the horrified whimperings slippling involuntarily out of my pie-hole.

Also Atlas Reactor. Still shuffling through Total Warhammer with the Wood Elves (good, but so squishy). Received Rimworld recently, but I’m drawn towards Pit People, and only stopped by Early Access and the apparent leaning towards co-op.

19. Kitsunin says:

Of all things, Rance VI. The most disgusting series (that isn’t terrible) I can think of, but somehow, almost charmingly so (if you skim the sex scenes and don’t think too much). Sengoku Rance was one of the best Strategy RPGs of all time, and VI seems to be doing the same thing with JRPG. If it weren’t filled with rape and the like, I’d heartily recommend it…

20. Sorbicol says:

The Long War 2. Why do I punish myself so? why?!

Captain Narol says:

Because you take pleasure from it. Stop thinking and enjoy !

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

(but don’t forget the safe word! We don’t want anyone actually getting hurt, do we?)

21. Viral Frog says:

I’m going to get my boys for the weekend when I’m off of work today, so I’ll most likely be playing chef, maid, and diplomat. Also, a lot of Minecraft because my eldest son always wants me to sit and take turns with him. I’ll probably also be involved in some LEGO Marvel Superheroes with him as well. Probably nothing other than that, because I also have to do overtime work from home.

Ben King says:

I’m housesitting away from my PC so I’m drawing a battle map for my next D&D session. But if I was home I would be playing DUSKERS… Just a few hours under my belt and I’ve decided that all of this talk of duskers being the best Alien game is baloney. Alien never felt like a movie about solving puzzles to traverse dungeons, but sneaking hiding death and occasional bravery. I’m really enjoying figuring out all of the uses for tools and drone mods, but feel pretty crippled if I’m ever without a motion detector. It’s not tense or scary, but I’m loving solving the puzzles each new ship and set of mods presents. And dying a lot. My last run was a tpk with a crippled drone actually blocking the A1 doors from closing after biting the dust at the hands of… Something which was freely roaming around the drone bay while my video inputs sputtered feebly.

23. malkav11 says:

You know what’s a big lavish wonderful ARPG that you keep ignoring because it was a bit rubbish over three years ago, John? Marvel Heroes. You really, really ought to give it another go.

Meanwhile, having polished off Pillars of Eternity, both the DLC and the main game, I will be working on the Trespasser DLC for Dragon Age Inquisition, having completed the main game of that as well.

I am kind of hoping I can finish it off this weekend so that I can solidly add two big ol’ proper RPGs to the completed list with only two Shadowruns, The Witcher 3, Divinity II, Divinity Original Sin, Serpent in the Staglands, a bunch of Avernums and Geneforges and two Avadons, Age of Decadence (and its multiple playthroughs), Banner Saga 1 and 2, Dead State, Driftmoon, Skyrim, various Fallouts, FFXIII and XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, Kingdoms of Amalur, NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer (and maybe Storm of Zehir), the Risen games, Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms, the later 3 Sorcery! games, Sunless Sea, Telepath Tactics, Tyranny, Underrail, and Wasteland 2 to go… (and that’s just the RPGs and I’ve skipped some that aren’t installed!). With Torment: Tides of Numenera coming out later this month.

24. Cyrus says:

XCOM 2 after picking it up a few weeks back in the humble bundle, feels like I’m getting somewhere. And naturally, towards the end.

My plan for the future is to tackle the beast that is Witcher 3, which means I should play the prequels before it once more..

My latest savedgame for Witcher 1 is from 2010! Damn. Back when I was unemployed and played through almost all old games I had.

25. kud13 says:

I finally started Bioshock Infinite. So I’ll probably be playing more of that.

26. cvaldivia93 says:

Has anyone played Quern? I saw it on Steam a few weeks ago. Looks like it’s been out a few months. Sorta like Myst / Obduction. Having just finished The Witness, I’m in a mood for another island puzzler. I’ve not see a review of it here on RPS, so figured I’d ask y’all.

27. fish99 says:

Conan Exiles for me, single player. It’s honestly pretty good as a solo experience, in the exact way that Ark Survival Evolved was.

I’d like to see a game that mixed that kinda survival/crafting/building experience with the NPCs/questing/story from a traditional RPG, so half ARK/Conan and half Skyrim. Or to put it another way, Skyrim with a good base building system, survival elements and some genuine danger in the environments.

28. Nucleus says:

Trying to finally finish Far Cry 2. Never played a game that hates the player so much.

• fish99 says:

I haven’t played Far Cry 2, but your comment reminds me of the story missions in Far Cry 3. It was like they found all the worst FPS levels and mechanics in history and made a game from them (in contrast to the open world rest of the game, which was fun).

They had insta-fail stealth, turret sections, timed missions, escort missions, escape from burning buildings, on-rail chase sections etc. It kinda soured an otherwise excellent game.

29. dogwaddle says:

In the late stages of my Subeians campaign for total war Attila. I have just about all the requirements for a cultural victory. I shot myself in the foot by not paying enough attention to the religion objective and now I will probably have to slog a bit past year 450 to satisfy that objective.

Don Reba says:

Finishing Deus Ex: Invisible War. Actually, it’s not a bad at all. I had fun with Human Revolution, but Invisible War is the Deus Ex sequel I wanted. I haven’t played it earlier because my graphics card was not good enough at the time it came out, and later because people (largely) undeservedly bashed it ever since.

Don Reba says:

It should be said the game is dummed down too much in one essential aspect — all of the bathrooms are unisex. :(

pertusaria says:

I played the first DLC of Monument Valley last night, which was pretty good. I’m not bowled over by the central game mechanic, which is mainly rotating rooms until you get a perspective where two bits of floor meet to form a pathway kind of puzzles, but some of the water-related levels in the DLC were neat. I’m also a huge fan of the sidekick character and how much emotional connection the devs build up through your experiences together in the game, combined with a little bit of expression on a very blocky, inexpressive-seeming character.

Other than that, if I get time tomorrow to finish Firewatch, I’ll be a happy bunny.

32. BlueB says:

Just finished Alien Isolation – amazing game! Some of the best graphics and atmosphere I’ve ever seen. Its graphics still supersede most new releases which is quite an achievement for a game 2.5 years old. I’m flabbergasted why this game didn’t have better sales and more critical praise. I know that it has it’s downsides (a bit too long, probably too many Seegson simple Joes) but its achievements in story, atmosphere, lighting, graphics, art, weapon design, AI etc. are phenomenal.

I also just bought the new Deus Ex currently 70% off on Steam but haven’t played more than the first few minutes (was testing performance and graphical settings). The game seems almost TOO responsive and fluid and the graphics and assets aren’t as top notch as I thought they’d be for 2016 but maybe this is a symptom from my post Alien Isolation come-down (ah what a great game…).

particlese says:

It’s a variety pack for me this weekend:
    -trying to one-up my new personal best in Devil Daggers (336s)
    -PVP rampage in Elder Scrolls Online (initially for variety, but having great fun despite not being very talented or practiced at it)
    -VR room escape game Abode (excellent so far)
    -Skyrim (working on Dragonborn expansion)
    -VR tourism thing Destinations (plus Blender and Hammer for content creation)
    -token non-game: doing the bookwork part of learning German, for once (ja!)

34. Dekion says:

I was playing and enjoying obduction but was annoyed by the garage number puzzle. So back to bloodborne for the second of three runs to get my first ever platinum! Still amazes me how beautiful the background objects in souls games are. Spent ten minutes admiring the relief on a gigantic half buried bell in Ashes of ariandel Especially in areas that I (and others I presume) completely missed in playthrough 1.

35. Monggerel says:

Brigador.
    The war crime/minute counter is honestly getting to me. It’s a bit like Space Pirates&Zombies in that way, where a cool retro-throwback arcadey space combat sim is backed up by gruesome slavery. It’s all supposed to fit together into a darkly humorous and decidedly shlocky fictional reality, but I honestly have to wonder why? I mean, it certainly avoids the “cognitive dissonance” (read: hypocrisy) associated with such games by simply making you a villain, but boy does it leave an aftertaste.

It’s a bit like Syndicate, which was so fucking evil that it felt wrong to play even though by that point I’ve played every GTA up until Vice City.

36. fiendling says:

I just started playing Witcher 3 and it is bloody brilliant!

I’ve just completed the Bloody Baron’s quest line and it astounded me that they managed to make me feel sympathy for such a vile human being. Astonishingly well written and well (voice)acted quests.

37. Glacious says:

Those last two sentences are just lovely Pip.

With a work roster change, weekends are actually weekends again. Huzzah! Been playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door – my last unfinished Gamecube game – and on the PC front the first act of Kentucky Route Zero as inspired by Alec’s Have You Played a while back. Going to pour a bourbon right now:)

38. DanMan says:

Titanfall 2, ofc. What else?

39. Darth Jimmi says:

I went larping for the first time in over 7 years.
    Now i’m resting my sore body by browsing social medias, chatting with friends and playing some games or another. Probably modded Fallout 4 or Conan Exiles.