River City Ransom: Underground kicking off this month

A new Double Dragon arrived this week, looking very much like the old one, and more throwback beatdowns are coming later this month with River City Ransom: Underground [official site]. The crowdfunded revival of ye olde side-scrolling beat ’em up will launch on February 27th, developers Conatus Creative have announced. Watching a new trailer, I am delighted by the combination of acrobatic attacks and enemies pulling goofy slack-jawed faces as they’re biffed about. Have a look:

It is pleasing to watch those mugs get mashed.

Underground the usual story: bad things are going down in River City, so you and your pals need to duff up thugs. It’s got a lineup of ten characters and River City is a bit action-RPG-y, with stat boosts and new attacks bought as you go. Neatly, its multiplayer co-op and arena deathmatch modes support both local and online play.

This is an official licensed River City Ransom game, to be clear, and was Kickstarted in 2013. Arc System Works currently own River City — and the rest of the Kunio-kun series, like Super Dodge Ball — having picked up creator Technos’ catalogue in 2015.

River City Ransom: Underground is coming to Windows and Mac on February 27th then Linux later. The game will be on Steam and Conatus do plan for it to hit GOG too.

1. Eikenberry says:

I am extremely happy this is finally coming out. I’ve been checking their long-dormant Facebook page for several years, and kind of assumed it disappeared into Kickstarter hell. But i gotta say, the trailer looks really good (and the short teaser videos they’ve posted about each character look good too).

BARF!

• Jalan says:

I started to regret having backed it for a brief moment, then I decided that I’d cross my fingers and wait it out. Now that it’s actually happening, whether it turns out to be worth all the wait or not, I find it hard not to weep ecstatically.

• davebo says:

I spent a lot of money to have my own name in the game because RCR was my favorite NES game, and though it did take longer than expected I never regretted it. First game I bothered kickstarting so I hope it turns out to be amazing.

2. ryth says:

This is the type of game that 100% needs a mobile release. See you at CrossTown H.S.!!! BARF !

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

Why are we BARFing?

4. hatlock says:

Only one female character? I guess that is an increase from the original’s zero, but you’d think they could do a little better.

• wonkavision says:

I hope the teaser videos they’ve posted about each character reveal which one of them is homosexual. /s

• Spinkick says:

If they dont have a $race and $gender, I’ll be extremely offended!

• wxid says:

I thought they already had, with Ryan + Alex in the sauna? (1:40 in the trailer on this article…)

5. Spacewalk says:

I like how it looks like a DOS game.

6. Dezmiatu says:

I can’t wait for the Wilford Brimley mod.

7. Spinkick says:

I loved all their games. remember super dodge ball with these characters?

8. chudbabies says:

Is it alright for me to agitate a little wisdom amongst the rank and file of this godforsaken post office on the edge of Nowhere? Please.

I like your game reporting. It tells me a story about how your gameplay evolved over time, and when you reviewed your comments to write the article your view benevolently expanded to benefit the pursuit of a more natural order to your world.
    I like when we can read reviews that take a few months of games which we may have missed. I started Cities: Skylines, and it’s wont to make me abandon my perfect pursuit of explaining how to understand the Sun Tsu of MOBA’s and similiar RTS-perspective (what’s the word, please for this ovehead p.o.v.?) but i do find it something wicked fun to pursue at any price point. I’ve hit a few bumps, maybe i should just write those up a bit.
    I like that you guys don’t make me pay money to have conversations with you the authors. Maybe, though, it would benefit me to pursue enrollment in the Patreon if I am so bold to assemble this thought in the comments of an article where trolls feast on the bones of your crawling body.

Harlander says:

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here, but I dig the way you said it.