Have You Played…rymdkapsel?

Real-time strategy games – broadly a pretty stressful business. Designed to promote rapid action and an overwhelming desire to crush the opposition. rymdkapsel says otherwise.

Crucially, rymdkapsel features indirect unit control. Your guys will do the fighting for you, with your focus instead being on creating the conditions that should make said fight winnable. Enemies attack in waves, and in between you build and harvest in order to try and turn the abstract, minimal map to your advantage.

There are moments of stress, sure – usually when you’ve ballsed up your prep and end up with a wipeout – but by and large this is about thoughtfully devising your play rather than being punished if you simply can’t act fast enough.

It looks so beautiful too. Even at its most frenetic – which isn’t very frenetic at all – those flat surfaces and gentle colours encourage calm and well-being. An RTS to make you feel good while still challenging you – please treat yourself to it if you haven’t done so previously.

1. Michael Manning says:

Yes! Fantastic game with lovely sound design, works particularly well on mobile too.

2. HeavyStorm says:

People say it’s a something of a limited experience. That’s what held me from buying it for Android.

Waltorious says:

It is. The first time I played it, I lost. The second time, I won, and then realized there was no reason to play again. Still, I’m glad I played it.

Phasma Felis says:

You can finish it in a few hours, including beating the game and the three challenges (achievements), and it’s fun and engaging for the whole time. It doesn’t pretend to be more, and I’d say it’s worth the price. I might recommend getting it on mobile, since it seems to be cheaper there, and the interface works well.

3. Sakkura says:

Too limited/shallow for me.

4. Carra says:

I played it on my mobile phone and liked it. Good game but nothing special.

5. Konservenknilch says:

It’s cute, just really short and limited. Seemed more like a proof of concept at the time.

6. eljueta says:

I played it on mobile, just a pity it was too short. I found the mechanics really original.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

I like that it has a swedish word as the title (“space pod”), which is incomprehensible to the majority of gamers. Don’t know much else about it.

I also don’t know if that aspect, not knowing what the word means, has the same effect on people as the pretentious foreign language or made up names other indie games have or if such a thing is just a pet peeve of mine (probably the latter :P).