Greedfall is Spiders’ colonial fantasy RPG

Spiders, the team behind Mars: War Logs, Bound by Flame and The Technomancer, are working on a new RPG that goes by the name Greedfall [official site]. The title may be a callback of sorts to Silverfall, an action-RPG that many of the studio’s initial developers worked on at Monte Cristo shortly before forming their new studio. Like that earlier title, Greedfall has a technology vs nature vibe, depicting an island paradise that has been discovered by colonial forces from several distinct nations. You play as a neutral, able to ally yourself with either the nature-loving natives, or any of the nations seeking to exploit the island’s resources. It’s all make-believe, with magic and monsters and a fictional map, but the art style and military tech is 17th century European in style.

With only a teaser trailer and a broadly Biowaresque take on RPGs to go on, it’s impossible to say how Greedfall will turn out. I’ve never played more than a couple of hours of all the Spiders games combined, mainly because big RPGs aren’t my favourite things in the world, so if I’m going to spend time with one or two annually, I’m going to pick the ones that come the most highly recommended.

Spiders games have never come highly recommended enough to put them at the top of my list. That said, I’d love Greedfall to be the first one that does. I don’t enjoy the Bioware or Bethesda fashion in playing of roles, and much as I’d love to sink my teeth and my time into something a bit more retro, like Torment or another Pillars, I’m fairly sure Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the only one that I want this year. It’d be good to have something surprising and perhaps a fantastical colonial power struggle will be that thing. I’m doubtful, but open to the possibility.

Greedfall is set in a completely new world, and the many quests can be completed using “combat, diplomacy, deception or stealth”. There are companions to collect, mysteries to discover and multiple endings, all based on your actions during the game. Side with the religious zealots and you might help to convert the entire island nation to whatever faith they’re importing, or go with the science types and you might find a way to harness all of that raw nature energy. Of course, if you’re not a bastard you’ll probably be figuring out how to channel the raw nature energy so you can fire it back at all of the invaders and send them packing, and then you’ll probably get to live in a tree forever.

Whatever else, if the concept art reflects the final look of the game, I’ll be tempted to play it just for the pleasure of walking through a beautifully painted world.

Even though the game is set entirely on the island, as far as Spiders are willing to tell at the moment, there will be established settlements for each of the colonial powers. If that means we get to wander around streets like the ones you can see above, bring it on.

From this site

1. Phantom_Renegade says:

First off, your log in system is broken and annoying.

Secondly, Spider has been in the business of creating RPG’s with interesting stories and broken gameplay. I’m hoping they’ll make more improvements on the second part, while the first part again sounds like a game I’d wanna play, much like Mars and Technomancer, but which I didn’t actually like playing.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Both Cyanide and Spiders (which I came to think about while reading the HYP of Styx: Master of Shadows) often produce games that seem interesting, but turn out less than they could have been. I have too much of a backlog to even consider playing any of their games, but they’re on my “might be worth playing after all”-list.

2. BadManiac says:

I like Spiders games. Bound by Flame was borken but fun and an interesting story. The Technomancer was one of my favorite games last year. It outstayed it’s welcome towards the end with all the backtracking and repetitive combat encounters. But overall I liked it, the NPC’s had really interesting stories, and the combat system was pretty good.

If the level of quality of their games keeps going up at the same pace, their next game might turn out to be a surprise hit. Here’s hoping! :)

3. kud13 says:

Spiders’ back catalogue (starting with “of orcs and men”) is sitting in my Steam “to play” pile, waiting for the days when I have the time for them.

It’s possible I’ll finally start this pile this year, since there’s nothing really major RPG-wise (except Torment) on my horizon so far (never played ME, so not at all hyped for Andromeda)

I do like that Spiders continue to try new settings. It’s this kind of variety that attracts me to the idea of their games, at the least.

• Sonntam says:

You are absolutely right about that. Thinking back to big RPGs of the last years, I can only hesitantly name only a few truly new RPGs. Shadowrun was one, but it was part of a very old franchise.

While Spiders keeps creating new worlds that are often left unexplored, have shoddy characters and a rushed plot. But somehow I still get really emotional about their games. I care about the characters and get really wrapped up in the storylines. Especially Mars: War Logs and Of Orcs and Men had a very unique atmosphere to them. It felt as if someone really poured their soul out to create those worlds… while unfortunately lacking the skill and the money to make a good game out of those settings.

I also have to recommend Fairy: Legends of Avalon. It’s a very old game of Spiders (even before Of Orcs and Men), but it’s one of their games which has surprisingly good English translation and some of the most unique locations I had seen in fantasy. Especially visiting last two worlds had been a joy. Unfortunately, the game ended on a quite abrupt cliffhanger and will likely not get a sequel, but if you don’t care to see the ending, you may still want to check it out.

4. RedViv says:

I’m going to assume I will be utterly fascinated by the contrast between enticing world, wobbly mechanics, and shonky tech as usual.

teije says:

Good on them for putting this in an interesting setting. Let’s see how it turns out.