Induction is a time-travel puzzle game that’s out now

What’s your favourite thing about spacetime? Mine is… that it goes… wobbly. Excuse me, the weirdest feeling just came over me. Never mind. Induction [official site], a new time-travel puzzle game from Bryan Gale is out today, which “aims to rewire how you think about cause and effect.” I won’t pretend to understand what’s happening in the cube and colour-filled video below, but it might be very clever.

So, what’s happening here? Just looks like a bunch of abstract shapes coming in and out of existence to me, and sometimes jumping on each other. But what do I know about being caught in time loops? I’ll let the blurb do the talking for Induction.

Across more than 50 meticulously designed puzzles, you must explore the counter-intuitive possibilities time travel permits. You will learn to choreograph your actions across multiple timelines, and to construct seemingly impossible solutions, such as paradoxical time loops, where the future depends on the past and the past depends on the future.

Induction does not pander, but gives you the satisfaction of mastering an imaginary yet honest set of physical laws.

The music seems very pleasing too. It’s by Tim Shiel, an Australian radio host and record label partner of Gotye, a man who is also suspected of being from the future.

The game is a dollar-tenner on Steam and itch.io, and is being released twenty-nine years from now, but also yesterday.

1. Legion1183 says:

a dollar-tenner on Steam and itch.io

Oh, was quite excited as thought it was going to be a mobile game but alas… Maybe they’ll release a mobile version at some point, it looks like it would be a good time waster.

• Bronxsta says:

Why do you think it’s a time waster?

From what I’ve played and the reviews I’ve read, it’s a very cleverly-designed and challenging puzzle game

• Treners says:

I believe they meant “time waster” in the affectionate sense of “a fun and engaging use of time which is not necessarily constructive or advancing of any goal” rather than an actual “waste of time”.

2. Rumpelstiltskin says:

Talos Principle had a very similar mechanic I think? (and tbh I hated the levels that used it) Although here they add more twists to it apparently.

3. Marclev says:

Or £6.99, in case anybody’s wondering.

And why is it that after signing in to comment I always get booted back to the homepage? (grumble)

4. ersetzen says:

After sinking a couple hours into it I can safely say that it is really quite lovely and entirely brain melting. Definitiely one of my favorite puzzle games in quite a while!

I have to agree with the desciption about solutions that seem impossible, though. Several times I half doubted whether the level was possible at all only to realize how simple the solution was, after thinking around half a dozen corners.

5. Marclev says:

It starts off simple, but after a while of playing my mind’s starting to hurt with the lateral thinking required to work out the solution to a level. I love it!

Very much recommended for anybody that likes a decent puzzle game.