Princess Maker 1 revamp coming this month

After Princess Maker 2 Refine arrived last year, fancying-up and officially translating the fantasy parent simulator RPG, our Graham hoped that the never-fully-translated Princess Maker 5 might follow. Nope! Next up is Princess Maker Refine, an update of the 1991 original. Like PM2 Refine, it’s updated with new full-colour art, voiceovers (in Japanese), new sound, and those sweet Steam chee-chees. Have a peek in this announcement trailer:

So there you are, an aging hero, adopting a daughter to raise her into a beautiful princess. You dictate her activities and the subjects she studies, getting her jobs, training her to become a warrior, or whatever sort of futureprincess you might have in mind. As weeks pass and she grows, she gains (and loses) stats, unlocks new opportunities in the story, and so on. “Life simulator”, they call the genre. Depending on how her life goes, your daughter can grow up to become things like the Queen, a general, a poet, and a bandit chief.

If you’ve not played Princess Maker, you might recognise parts of it in games like Long Live the Queen. Princess Maker does also let you wander a world and scrap in RPG-y ways. And is a bit creepier.

Publishers CFK say that Princess Maker Refine will arrive “mid-February”, which is quite vague for a period so close. It’ll cost $9.99. I believe this is an updated version of the Princess Maker Refine released in 2004, coming with an official translation (not 100% on that, mind). While many games in the series have fan translations, I’m glad we’re getting proper updated re-releases.

Way back when, some cyberchums and I got really into a fan-translated Princess Maker 2 for a few weeks. I never did manage to marry that dragon prince.

CFK have also announced on Facebook that “there are some additional contents coming to PM2 Refine as well.”

1. Da5e says:

I coincidentally got Princess Maker Collection on Dreamcast at the weekend. It’s not translated, so I’ve got no idea what to do – this’ll do nicely!

2. Gulagger says:

Now when you say creepier is that in a spooky way or a pervy way?

• RutigerP says:

Pervy. Incestuous endings, breast enhancement pills, lots of suggestive comments by the various adult men the princess interacts with.

• Sin Vega says:

tbf she is adopted, so it’s not outright incestuous. But moreover, the strange thing about PM2 is that the creepy parts are somehow less offputting than they are in other games, partly because they’re largely optional. Also, having random arseholes perv at a teenaged girl while she’s minding her own business in a shop or whatever is hardly removed from reality.

Buuut yeah, it can’t really be denied that there are some “oof” moments in there. I suppose its obscure, sort of underground status in the West inured it somewhat against really suffering for it.

• Seafoam says:

Yeah. It’s very japanese in that regard, the bad kind of japanese.

Harlander says:

Whenever stuff like this comes up, my long-contemplated idea to make a life simulator set in a cyberpunk dystopia flutters back into my head.

It never takes too long for me to re-realise how terrible an idea that would be, though.

• Sin Vega says:

That’s sort of what Vallhalla was, and that was pretty good.

Harlander says:

Much as I enjoyed VA-11 Hall-A, it’s really more of a visual novel with a sprinkling of ludic elements than your full-blown life sim.

Then again I’m pretty much using ‘life sim’ to mean ‘games like Princess Maker’, so it might not be the most useful term.

• Darloth says:

Still don’t think it would be a terrible idea. I’d play that.

4. Shazbut says:

This is welcome news but surely any other one in the series would be better to have translated. PM2 is so good and I’d imagine the first game is just an inferior predecessor. Or am I wrong?

5. Someoldguy says:

I really enjoyed the Dos version years ago. Juggling the different lessons and adventuring to try and see how many different endings I could get was a lot more fun than it ought to be. To be honest the endings I found most disturbing were the ones where you turned her into a submissive little housewife who only wanted to cook and clean. Far more so than the ones where she was at least somewhat sexually aware and knew how to have a good time.

I’m not that impressed with the sound of the PM2 Refine version unless they’re going to fix the bugs. In partucular either translate the end-of-game letter or have it written out as it was in the Dos version so we can understand it. Spending all those hours developing the story only to have a ‘game over – married/unmarried’ popup and nothing else just reminds me of the shit versions of Civ that didn’t bother either.

If they can show that they’re prepared to bugfix then I’ll absolutely be in the market for PM5 if it ever gets translated. Maybe PM1 too if it gets really good reports.