Project Cars 2 trailer spares no thought for cold, wet cars

I worry about the cars in this new Project Cars 2 [official site] trailer. They’re out in snow, ice, and torrential rain without so much as a scarf, mac, or mittens – dressed in the same liveries as on a sunny afternoon! I appreciate that weather systems with complex consequences are a big feature in the sequel to Slightly Mad’s crowdfunded vroom ’em up but it seems irresponsible to make cars suffer just to prove a point in marketing. Look at this shameful display:

Shocking! Here are some of the features they’re trying to prove points about:

“Barometric pressure, ambient & track temperature, height above sea level, weather, wind, and time of day all have a direct influence over engine performance, aerodynamics, cooling from the radiator, brakes, and tire behaviour.

“The addition of fluid dynamics means that rainfall will now saturate the surfaces on which it falls; and if the surface type can’t absorb the rate of falling water, it will pool up and begin to run downhill where, eventually, it will find a low spot and form a puddle.

“Along with a dynamic drying line, and the ability to spread loose material from outfield areas onto the track, drivers are going to be closer to the environment of motor-racing than ever before.”

Project Cars 2 is coming in “late 2017”, published by Bandai Namco. Slightly Mad announced the sequel in 2015, only six weeks after launching the first game – which was still a bit wonky at the time. They’ve released a great many patches since then, mind, along with add-ons aplenty.

If you fancy some serious driving now, hey, the first Project Cars is on sale on Steam right now. It’s £7.95/10,19€/$10.19 for the base game and £13.57 to get it with all the DLC too. Individual DLC packs are on sale too.

1. Landiss says:

Anyone can tell me if there is any point getting this game if I can only play it with keyboard?

distantlurker says:

Little point I’m afraid. problem with keyboard and driving is you’re either turning left or you’re not, there’s no in between.

With a pad, there are degrees of ‘left’, brake, go faster and what have you. Easier still with a wheel.

It’d be a nightmare with keys.

• ramirezfm says:

I play Assetto Corsa with keyboard and I have a lot of fun. Also shitty results, but mostly fun. Basically kb < pad < wheel.

2. davebo says:

The first game was supposed to be this ever-expanding racing sim that over time would include so many tracks and cars. After the initial launch they immediately announced a sequel. Well, what happened to expanding the original to include everything? Now we have to just buy a new one and re-buy the cars and tracks from the first, assuming they even get added to this new one? All because they added in better rain?

goodpoints says:

You should look into rFactor 2, it uses a similar kind of modular sim engine concept as DCS World, except most of the content is free with a good mix of user-made and official stuff.

I picked up PCARS+DLC in recent Humble sales for less than $20 so I don’t have that much stake in the developer. I’m enjoy it overall, but the career mode is one of the best I’ve played in a racing game. I was surprised though at the lack of user-made content compared to AC. Not sure if this is because of the engine, dev policy, etc.—but it does seem like the reliance on official content doesn’t match up with how PCARS was marketed.

3. Banks says:

The logo has like 5 different diagonal directions. Someone does not give a single fuck.