Blood Bowl 2 Legendary Edition to add solo career mode, Goblins, Tame Bears and more

Blood Bowl 2

Blood Bowl 2 [official site] – the sequel to the initial digital foray for the American football/Warhammer mashup – is bringing new races, a new stadium and new game modes with the release of its Legendary Edition later in 2017. For me as a non-Warhammerer this involves the press release invocation of terms like “the Kislev Circus and their ferocious Tame Bears” and I sit there scratching my head and trying to work out whether the Hebrew calendar has a bear festival.

My partner plays Blood Bowl 2 as part of a league with friends and I occasionally hear shouts of outrage or glee coming from the other room as some pitch invasion takes place or whatnot. I could have tried to follow his match reports more closely in anticipation of writing news stories about the game, but do you have any idea how much I already accidentally know about other strands of Warhammer at this point? DO YOU? I PAINTED A BRANCHWYCH, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

Anyway, according to the announcement:

“The Blood Bowl 2 community will be pleased to learn that Focus and Cyanide will release Blood Bowl 2: Legendary Edition later this year. This is the version highly anticipated by the fans, offering ALL the official races from the Blood Bowl board game, including the sly Goblins, as well as a brand new race, the Kislev Circus and their ferocious Tame Bears! These races are coming along with their Star Players and a new Khemri stadium, located at the feet of their imposing pyramids.

“Blood Bowl 2: Legendary Edition also contains loads of new content: new races, new game modes as well as many new tools and options enriching an already deep multiplayer experience. Blood Bowl 2 Legendary Edition will be available as a stand-alone game for newcomers, and as an affordable expansion for all Blood Bowl 2 players.”

I feel like they could have phrased that differently as to me “This is the version highly anticipated by the fans” feels like, well what was the other version for? Like, why wasn’t the good, exciting, highly-anticipated version the actual game rather than a paid expansion or new souped-up version? I mean, maybe this stuff was only possible with a longer development period and this way the game is earning money to sustain that, which is fine, but the phrasing seems weirdly unpalatable. Maybe that’s just me, though, as I’ve run it past other people and they thought the exact opposite!

Blood Bowl 2

“Experience new game modes such as a brand new Solo Career mode, or the new Challenge mode, which will put your wits and skills to the test through crazy and challenging game situations. And for the first time in the history of Blood Bowl, spice-up your matches with teams made up from a combination of players from different races, or go wild and lead a team of All-Star Players! Last but not least, Cyanide is developing new features and options for multiplayer – these new options and tools, long-requested by a passionate community, will greatly expand the possibilities offered to players to communicate together, create, set up and customize their online leagues and competitions.”

So aside from the phrase I got hung up on, it sounds like Cyanide are still working on bits and bobs for the game and responding to community feedback and providing bears.

I’ve also pointed this info at Adam who does play and he has the following response:

“I’m keen to see how well the solo league mode works out. I like all my sports management games to come with massive career modes that I can play into my twilight years. My current team are Skaven, and I’m awful with them, so I’m hoping the goblins will suit my love of erratic fragility. Erratic Fragility is, of course, the name of my team.”

No info on the pricing or the exact release date. Only that the content will be offered as a purchasable version of the game as well as an expansion if you already have the base game.

1. Gothnak says:

Ah, the solo career mode, the only reason i didn’t buy BB2 up to now was because the only feature i played in BB1 was missing :p.

• Troubletcat says:

Yeah, same. I liked BB1 but no proper solo career was an instant deal-breaker. Honestly baffled me that they left it out, and also that the game was still well-received. I assumed it was the only mode that anyone cared about, but apparently that was super-wrong.

Still, glad they’re finally adding it, might pick this up when it comes out if it’s not too expensive.

• Haborym says:

I’m pretty sure there are plenty of people who primarily play bb1 for the mp aspect

• Silverchain says:

Good grief, I hadn’t even realised that was the case! I’ve been waiting for the game to get something like this Legendary Edition before buying, that would have been a nasty surprise… it’s so fundamental a thing I didn’t imagine for a second it wouldn’t be there.

• Magus42 says:

This is where I am as well. I played a ton of the original game and upgraded to Legendary, but BB2 released with fewer features and most of the races relegated to paid DLC. No thanks. This sounds a lot more like the game I actually wanted.

• Greg Wild says:

Honestly, the SP AI was so trivially easy in the solo career in BB1 that I only bought BB2 for multiplayer.

• Aetylus says:

Ditto. BB2 remains my only refunded game after the nasty experience of finding the “game” consisted of only a brief tutorial if you weren’t interested in MP.

Pip, your comment “Like, why wasn’t the good, exciting, highly-anticipated version the actual game rather than a paid expansion or new souped-up version?”, on their comment “Experience new game modes such as a brand new Solo Career mode”, is perhaps confirmed by these comments.

Though of course it won’t matter if they still have BB1 AI.

2. Pogs says:

I would honestly hope all calenders could find room for a bear festival. I have little enough reason to buy and wear a bear costume as it is and that would certainly fix this lack. I’ll leave it to others to google bear festivals.

3. Life Glug says:

Where the vampires at? I would love to give them a go.
    The 6 bonus races for this game are priced at £5 each at the moment, which I think is too expensive. So, if they are included in the Ledge expansion, hopefully it will be more reasonable.
    I’m glad the gobbos are in. Fans have been waiting for this! Pogos, chainsaws and, above all, bombs!

• Ross Turner says:

The vampires are in too! This adds 8 more races than those released so far (and the upcoming Khemri and Chaos Dorfs), nearly completing the official roster of teams (except for Chaos Pact/Renegades)

4. Fnord73 says:

Are the wood elves still nearly unbeatable?

• FLoJ says:

Wood elves are definitely a Tier 1 team, but they’re certainly not unbeatable

Some oldish stats on Race winning %s

It kinda depends on the format of the games too. Longer leagues/perpetual matchmaking really favour the bash teams survivability whilst shorter leagues favour the agility teams with their ability to level up faster with flashy completions and high scorelines

5. wyrm4701 says:

I definitely don’t think you’re getting unduly hung up on on the implications of Cyanide’s phrasing. The Blood Bowl model (heh) appears to be sponging money out of dedicated fans with minuscule bits of content released at a glacial pace. They did it clumsily with BB1, releasing ‘editions’ that expanded the team selection while ignoring major gameplay bugs.

It’s a shame – I really like Blood Bowl, but I’ve learned to not buy anything from Cyanide until they’re done working on it and it’s heavily discounted.

• Archonsod says:

Funnily enough the model this time out has been that all the race DLC’s were free if you purchased the game prior to the DLC’s release.

• wyrm4701 says:

Really? I had no idea. Though I did pay for two previous iterations of the same buggy game, so I tend toward the aggressively skeptical where Blood Bowl games are concerned.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

A Branchwych? That’s a scythe for sore eyes!

7. Jorum says:

For those wondering it sounds like kislev team is reskinned slann team. Which will be interesting.

• Rituro says:

What the… then why didn’t they just call them Slann?! C’mon, GW, stop jerking us around.

More to the point, I’m annoyed it took them this long to release all the freakin’ races. That’s kinda the whole allure of the game — seeing all the wacky teams up for grabs.

Now, if I can upgrade my existing BB2 with a small DLC purchase, I’ll begrudgingly accept this. If I have to rebuy the whole damn game as a “Legendary Edition”, forget it.

• Jorum says:

News is that will be standalone purchase but with big discount for people who own bb2. It is also cross-compatable with current bb2.

8. Viral Frog says:

What I envisioned as I read this article.
    Developers + Publisher: “Here’s a new version of the game containing everything that should have been included at launch! Throw money at us!”