FTL devs announce tactical kaiju battler Into The Breach

The creators of FTL have announced their next game, Into the Breach [official site], and it looks a bit like the isometric, tactical version of EDF I’ve always wanted. Tasked with defending the last remnants of humanity from giant monsters, you’ll protect cities and fight monsters in randomly generated turn-based scenarios. It looks gorgeous, as you can see in the trailer below, and will have a new soundtrack by Ben Prunty, FTL’s composer, as well as writing and world-building from the keyboard of Chris Avellone.

I’d quite like to be playing this immediately but I can wait until…well, there’s no release date yet. Here’s everything we know:

Defend the Cities: Civilian buildings power your mechs. Defend them from the Vek and watch your fire!
Perfect Your Strategy: All enemy attacks are telegraphed in minimalistic, turn-based combat. Analyze your opponent’s attack and come up with the perfect counter every turn.
Build the Ultimate Mech: Find powerful new weapons and unique pilots as you battle the Vek infestation across Corporate-Nation islands.
Another Chance: Failure is not an option. When you are defeated, send help back through time to save another timeline!

I want it I want it I want it I want it.

1. gwop_the_derailer says:

This looks so charming… it’s like a Husky puppy of a video game.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

Instantly onboard with this, that last line about sending reinforcements to alternate timelines could be one very interesting mechanic.

• mattevansc3 says:

…or it could just be a bit of fluff to explain why you can restart a level/use game saves.

• Askis says:

The screenshot up top has a list of bonus objectives.
        One of them is “Protect the Time Pod” so it’s quite likely more than just saving/loading.
        I’d assume some way to go back to the beginning or earlier missions with some of your upgraded units.
        Maybe it’ll have some rogue-ish elements, where you’re unlikely to win later on, unless you upgrade your units over multiple runs.

• tranchera says:

It could also just be the story objective.

• golochuk says:

There’s nothing “rogue-ish” about persistent upgrades. They’re entirely antithetical to a roguelike.

• njury says:

I’d guess it’s the way you progress in what could be a rogue-like-ish game?
        Sounds a lot better than “you did this or that, Mech-XX is now unlocked for future playthroughs”.

DantronLesotho says:

After the thoughtfulness of design in FTL they have sold me on all of their games into perpetuity.

• OmNomNom says:

Yep. Couldn’t give a shit about Kaiju or most other Japanese inspired stuff (although i do like giant robots) but FTL was so damn good this is an instant buy from me anyway.

MajorLag says:

I don’t know about that, but FTL’s ridiculously solid design has certainly sold me on paying due attention to anything else they release.

4. geldonyetich says:

Part of me wants to say that, given the success of FTL, this developer is in an enviable position to be able to throw this concept up on Kickstarter and instantly make bank.

The rest of me just wants to see more games made by this developer.

• TechnicalBen says:

Yeah, but even if they did, the trailer looks like a playable and complete game right there (assuming it’s not all hand drawn animation).

That’s massively more work before release/tease than a 99% on KS. :P

Oh, and this looks very much like the King Of Tokyo PC game fix I was looking for after trying out that board game. :D

5. Isendur says:

So, finally someone played SRW and thought “Wow this is pretty cool why there aren’t any of these games in the West?” I’m all in for it.

• mattevansc3 says:

To make sure I don’t fangasm inappropriately are you referring to what’s called Super Robot Taisen in the West?

• Isendur says:

Fangasm away, friend.

• mattevansc3 says:

For anybody who’s interested in Breach and you cant read Japanese you need to get a GBA emulator and get a copy of Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 & 2.

Not only is it a fantastic example of how screwed up licensing and trademark laws are but its the pure distillation of all that is good and bad in Saturday morning cartoons and Toonami era anime all wrapped up in a fantastic Turn Based Strategy game with RPG elements…and it has the cutest chibi-knock off Gundams.

The game should be called Super Robot Wars as it is in Japan but due to a similarity to a certain TV show it had to change its name. The game is made by Bandai so should contain the Megazord, Voltron, Mazinkaiser Z, Giant Robo, every Gundam under the sun and a plethora of well known and obscure mecha like they do in Japan… but Bandai would not only have to pay royalties to the companies they licensed the shows to for their Western releases back in the 70’s and 80’s but they can’t remember which Western companies they licensed the shows to or they’ve lost track of who has what rights due to companies getting liquidated, merged or the rights for the TV going to a different company than the one the licenses for the merchandise went to.

The company that owns the rights to pretty much every mecha ever created had to create a game made up of bootleg versions of those mechas so they didn’t have to pay royalties.

The game has everything you can ask for, generic robots to blow up, super robots, robots that transform, robots that combine, robots that team up to unleash spectacular combo attacks, a pair of super robots who’s combo attack has one transform into a horse so the other can ride him and combine into a mounted robotic knight that unleashes a cavalry charge. There’s iffy racial stereotypes, there’s fan service, there’s older gentlemen making questionable remarks to females of a questionable age. There’s mumbo jumbo philosophying of war. There’s weird hair, impractical robots, your stoic barely speaking tough guys and peppy school kids with psychic powers. Every cliche is present and accounted for.

Combat is quite Xcom like but without the verticality. Every unit has a mixture of built in weapons and a customised load out (except for Super Robots, built in weapons only). Pilots can be changed, pilots and robots upgraded and each robot has one to four augment slots.

Every unit can make one move and one action. It’s then a question of managing energy reserves, ammo levels, support actions (attack or defend) special moves, etc. Every action is then represented in chibi-art mecha cut scenes.

It’s a really enjoyable game series for those that want turn based action with a cartoon robot flavour.

• syndrome says:

Exactly like my childhood

• Isendur says:

Loved that intro. Ramrod rocks. Stardew Valley filled the Harves Moon void in PC market and got paid pretty nice. Why hasn’t anyone yet made something similiar boggles me.

6. Rizlar says:

I love the attacks like sending a giant monster smashing into a mountain or hurling a boulder the size of a towerblock. It would be easy to make everything some sort of high tech weapon but that physicality is much more satisfyingly monster-movie.

7. Themadcow says:

*checks Steam list*

*FTL still has most hours played*

Sold.

8. Chuckaluphagus says:

I believe I’ve put more hours (hundreds, at this point) into FTL than any other single game in my life. I am very pleased that Subset has announced a new game, and I look forward to playing it.

9. noilly says:

nintendo won’t make a new advance wars so this looks great

10. onegear says:

There is an isometric, tactical version of EDF called Global Defence Force Tactics but it was only released on PS2. I only remember this because it was in an episode of consolevania – link to youtu.be

• KDR_11k says:

I recall that having a pretty bad reputation. The EDF4 setting might be more suitable for a tactics game since it has more unit diversity and specialization for both sides than 1/2, the EDF is portrayed more as a complete army with a lot of vehicles (and infantry types) with many variants and Ravager units like the Hectors have more distinct roles than the all-in-one walkers of the first two games.

Though I expect the tactics game did invent a whole lot more units to make the EDF side more interesting to play? Only having Rangers, Pale Wings and one tank and helicopter each would be too little for that, right?

11. Jekadu says:

Chris Avellone Writes Everything

12. keefybabe says:

YESSSSSSSSS

13. Rituro says:

You had me at “FTL devs”.

• BlueTemplar says:

Indeed. I already pictured the “shut up and take my money” gif after merely reading the title!

14. April March says:

Ah, so someone finally decided to make the KAIJU game from that Double Fine Amnesia that wasn’t selected to be developed. Possibly for the best?

• BlueTemplar says:

Kaiju-a-GoGo seems closer to Double Fine’s pitch :
      link to youtube.com
      (specifically in controlling ONE kaiju, destroying cities, and fighting armies coming to the defense of these cities)

• Jalan says:

Into the Breach was initially titled Kaiju, as if that didn’t potentially add to confusion.

That the whole thing coalesces neatly into a Pacific Rim reference is kinda swell.

15. Viral Frog says:

Great devs. I’m excited to see how this turns out.

16. Scandalon says:

Anything that gets more Ben Prunty making more vidjagame music for me to listen to is a good thing. :P

• theslap says:

His music is awesome. The beginning of the song in this trailer reminds me a lot a part of a song from Spacechem.

17. Frank says:

Not only my favorite devs, but also my favorite genre (TBT) and setting (post-apocalyptic)? Consider me sold. Also really liking the music.

18. Cronstintein says:

I’m down to check this out, I love these devs. But I wonder why the sudden media blitz if they aren’t ready for at least a tentative release date? Glancing at google I see a handful of posts about this on various game sites and I wonder if that media wouldn’t be better served when it could immediately translate hype into dollars.

• Jalan says:

They were actually supposed to show the game at last year’s Gamescom but didn’t. It’s not really “sudden” so much as it is a bit late in terms of their initial time table.