Star Trek: Bridge Crew delayed again but getting TOSsy

A long time ago in a city far, far away (E3 2016 in Los Angeles), Ubisoft announced virtual reality spaceship command ’em up Star Trek: Bridge Crew [official site] for release in autumn 2016. Well! A fair few Kessel Runs later, it’s been delayed again, this time to May 30th. Many Bothans died to bring us this information but, on the bright side, they did also bring word that it’ll have an option to fly aboard the USS Enterprise from Episode IV: The Original Series. Jump to hyperspace!

Bridge Crew, to recap, is a virtual reality game for up to four shipmates with goggs. Taking different stations on the bridge of a starship, folks try to complete missions and not get exploded. A bit like Artemis in VR, yeah?. It will also have singleplayer for Boba No-Mates, mind.

While Bridge Crew game focuses on the USS Aegis, a ship created especially for this game, the TOS Enterprise will be available an option in the ‘Ongoing Voyages’ mode. That’s an endless doodad with procedurally generated missions in the endless struggle to bring balance to the Force.

Me, I’d go for NCC-1701-D, Picard’s Enterprise. What could be more comforting than sitting on the bridge, knowing Cyberpicard has your back, and listening to the gentle hum of the ship? I suppose Kirk’s cyberbridge must have some good plingly-plongly bleepy-bloopy whirry-whorry noises, though.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew will support both Rift and Vive flavours of gogg.

From this site

1. CaptainKoloth says:

&$;&# yes! TOS bridge in VR? That’s an automatic buy for me no matter what the game itself is like…. I mean it!

2. Halk says:

It’s sad that modern day Star Trek has degraded into pure nostalgia. There is no ambition left to boldy go where no series has gone before.

The movies are reboots, even the new series will be prequel. And suddenly the argueably worst of the series, TOS, is center-stage again. DS9, by far the most unconventional of the series, is essentially forgotten.

I guess those are just the Make-X-great-again days we live in…

• Koozer says:

…the arguably worst of the series, TOS…

How dare you. I always hated the walking cliches they called the Klingons in the Next Generation, the TOS versions were a pleasant revelation at what they could’ve been. I also never liked the annoying doctor in TNG. Or her kid. Or the unprofessional psychic counsellor who clearly has the most power on the ship and shouldn’t be so chummy. Or whoever the hell the nav guys were. Oh and the holodeck being dragged out every other episode for another introspective monologue in an idealised 20th century bar/cafe. And the stupid boilersuits.

I need a lie down.

• CartonofMilk says:

TOS is the only ST i could ever get into….

• Marclev says:

Don’t forget the regular episodes where someone’s mother / sibling / son / long lost xyz comes to visit the ship and all sorts of hilarity ensues…

TNG got quite good towards the end, but boy it started out bad and I distinctly remember when I was growing up getting excited because the TV guide said “Star Trek” (either they omitted the TNG bit or my 9 year old brain simply ignored that) and then switching off when it turned out it was “The boring one” instead of the one with Kirk, etc…

These days it would have got cancelled after the first season, but I suppose things were different back then and there was enough nostalgia for people to keep watching it until it got good after a few years.

I loved TOS while growing up. These days though I struggle to sit through an episode, they’re pretty ropey, but I have a level of nostalgia for it.

Best thing to come out of Star Trek is DS-9 and the TOS movies.

• Jalan says:

I doubt I’ll ever be a Star Trek fan, but I’ll march happily to the grave admitting that I’m a DS9 fan.

I’ve seen a lot of TOS/TNG fans deride it (“Oh, you mean the soap opera” or “TNG just did everything it did but better and without any political leaning nonsense” and so on) and it’s given me a huge incentive to like it that much more.

RaveTurned says:

Yes, but you’ve missed the most important question for a Trek game: will some of your crew be Cylons?

Severn2j says:

Oh, those references..

5. YogSo says:

Delayed again? Oh dear, I pray they don’t alter the deal any further.

6. April March says:

Oh, good. I thought from the headline that they’d added ridiculously restrictive Terms Of Service. Not even joking.

7. DailyFrankPeter says:

I thought you meant ‘Terms of Service’.

goodpoints says:

Gotta love that the animations (them hands man) and environment look barely better than Bridge Commander from 15 years ago.

Bravo Ubisoft. Bravo LeVar.

kenzie.the.dog says:

‘Punch it, Chewie’ <3 Made me laugh.