What are we all playing this weekend?

Big wheel keep on turning. Proud Mary keep on burning. Rolling, rolling, rolling on the cyberriver. But be warned: Love Day is coming and it is merciless. Anyway! What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: This weekend I’m going to play more Darkest Dungeon, to see if I can actually finish the bloody thing now that there’s a shorter less grindy mode, and I’m dipping back into some roguelikes: Golden Krone Hotel, Cogmind and Tales of Maj’Eyal are all looking mighty tempting. As is Caves of Qud, which I’ve never managed to get into. I fear that once I do, I’ll be sunk for days.
Alec: It’s Torment: Tides of Bananaman for me right now, with a review to follow later in the month. I haven’t tried any of the alphas or betas so I’m going in pretty blind. Is it the Planescape successor it needs to be? And can Planescape-style existential crises still have the same effect upon me that they did in my very early twenties anyway? Maybe this will have grown older too. I look forwards to a quest chain about choosing loft insulation.
Alice: I intend to watch Wild (which recently hit Netflix), play the Isaac daily runs, and sleep. Though if this snow keeps up, I may hit the hills and attempt to become permafrost with the awesome power of my icy heart.
Brendan: I’ll be dancing around as a brutal viking schlemiel in the For Honor beta, probably getting sliced to pieces like a ripe watermelon by some samurai schmuck and his beautiful sword. I’ve been playing a bit of the Wild Eight too, which is a game that also likes to kill me. So I might go and catch hypothermia some more in that. Nothing like the sweet embrace of death to kick off the weekend.
Graham: I’ve been playing Splashers, a 2D platformer in which the gimmick is Portal 2-style coloured paints, to which you can stick or bounce off and so on. It’s fun so far, as is the other hand I’m playing, which is PixelJunk Shooter. In that you control a ship in 2D and advance through an environment by playing with the fluid physics of water and lava. It’s superb, and every waterfall impresses me even years after release.
John: Today we’re going to the zoo! A good zoo where all the animals are rescues and being bred for release. I shall play the game of looking into their eyes and wondering.

I also will be playing a lot of Voyageur on my electronic pocket telephone, because it’s interesting-although-not-quite-great, and I’m trying to work out if I need to dig deeper for the greatness.

Philippa: This weekend I’ll be… I don’t actually know. I want to play board games, I think. Other than that I have a day to myself so I might crack open the watercolours again. It’s been a while and an afternoon painting in the sunlight might be the exact right thing to spend my time with!

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

This weekend I am playing ‘Buying the right board game’, which is a totally new thing for me but I’ve totally caught the BG bug after a few sessions with friends and am now looking for something new to bring to the party. Am loving Dead of Winter and Betrayal at House on the Hill. Ideally looking for something like those, that could be played 1-2 player with missus, but also scales up to 5 or 6 for fun times. Also not astronomically expensive, and the real kicker – a game that is actually available to buy at the moment. What is it with board games, do they make them to order or something?!? They’re all sold out!

• Kitsunin says:

Having a collection of ~30~ games myself, that’s almost a painful set of desires to hear, satisfied by a single game. I guess Eldritch Horror would work (and is the only possibility I can remotely think of).

That said I’d recommend springing the extra $20 to get a purely 2-player game on the side. There are loads of Euros which happily scale 2-4, but 6 is party game territory and doesn’t play nice with the 2-3 range. If a game says it works for 2 and 6 players it’s definitely horrifyingly bad at either 2 or 6.

If your group already has those games, I might recommend going a little outside of that “Ameritrash” comfort zone. Codenames is loved by about everyone and super cheap, for one.

• gunny1993 says:

If you’re looking for good cheap avaliable games of that nature I wholeheartedly recommend microgames like coup and love letters, usually cost a 10er or less, takes 5 mins to play a round and very addictive

• yogibbear says:

Check out Blood Rage (2-5 player [Ideally 3-5]), Roll for the Galaxy (2-5 player [can also solo]), Ghost Stories (1-4 player), Mission Red Planet (2-6 player [Ideally 3-5]), Mysterium (2-5 player), Cosmic Encounter (3-8 player [ideally 4-6]), etc.

• Pogs says:

Highly recommend Elder Sign with the Gates of Arkham expansion. Also Red November is great fun – gnomes in a submarine! Wizwars we play alot of as well. And Ninja Dice for fun dice rolling (good for bored waiting around moments pref in a pub!). All scale well I think but always fun with more.

• malkav11 says:

I would highly recommend Arkham or Eldritch Horror over Elder Sign, which is barely thematic, highly random (some people claim the same of the Horror games but it’s not nearly as bad as in Elder Sign), prone to failure spiral and just really not all that interesting. It’s an okay solitaire game as Elder Sign: Omens on Steam or mobile, but there are much better uses of one’s boardgame dollars.

• Pogs says:

Yeah both are better but take ages to set up and years to play :p Slight exaggeration but tyg :) That’s why i added the Gates expansion to the base Elder Sign – makes it more interesting. Not played the other expansion yet.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, they’re not light time investments. On the other hand, I don’t think Elder Sign is worth even the lower amount of time it involves. -shrug-

• Vandelay says:

I have the beginnings of a small board game collection myself, although it is mainly card games (Doomtown and the recent addition of A Game of Thrones: Second Edition.) Not sure if those would be of interest to you. They are ideal 2 player games though and the 2 I own allow for more players, unlike the big name Netrunner.

Doomtown is set in a fantasy Wild West, featuring weird circus demon freaks and mad technology. The big mechanic that immediately stand out is every card having a suit and number, like traditional playing cards. When shootouts occur you draw from the deck a number of cards depending on the bullets in your posse. You then have to make the best poker hand you can from those cards. This adds a really juicy puzzle to your deck building, trying to balance a good shooting deck with utility. The actual game plays out more like chess though, with placing of deeds and the positioning of your dudes being vital.

A Game of Thrones is perhaps a little closer to something like Magic. You have characters that each have a different type of challenge they can perform (military, intrigue and power) and every round you can perform one of each of these. Player your eligible characters to attack and your opponent plays their eligible characters to send. Combined strength wins. Each challenge had its own outcome; military lets you kill a character, intrigue lets you discard a card from your opponent’s hand and power allows you to take a power token. First 15 power wins. It is pretty straightforward, but with all these games it is the way cards interact that really makes the game interesting. You also have a second deck containing your plot cards, which determine things like money and hand size for that round. They also normally come with some kind of action you can perform, such as making characters cheaper, searching your deck for specific type of card or clearing all bar three characters from each player. Plus, anyone that is interested in AGOT will love just playing with these characters and the art work. They have captured the theme brilliantly.

For more traditional board gaming, I got Pandemic for Christmas. Played it with my usual gaming chum and separately with my brothers and sister-in-law, non-board gamers. Went down really well with both. Being co-op allows lots of people to really get involved and theme isn’t going to put people off as much as the usual fantasy or sci-fi. You have to move around the board (a world map,) clearing up diseases, whilst trying to create a cure. Each player is a different character with their own ability, so everyone has a use in the game. Every time someone completes their turn, the disease spreads, plus there is a possibility of pulling an epidemic card, making the disease spread more and putting the city cards for already infected cities on top of the deck. Things can get really intense!

Also have Dark Souls board game arriving in a couple of months. Can’t wait!

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

There’s a Dark Souls board game!?! (reaches for Google). OH MY GOD! Look at that thing! So jealous. How did I miss/why did I ignore it when it Kickstartered because I thought I didn’t like board games. Damn. Looks like the base game is still pre-orderable, but without all those amazing extras pledgers get.

There’s an Artorias model! Jesus. I need to look away, my wallet is wimpering.

• Scurra says:

Over on the more thinky end of the spectrum, I can recommend Keyflower, which scales wonderfully from 2 all the way up to 6. (Yes, really. It runs a little long at 6 but what doesn’t?)
      Disclosure: I helped playtest it a fair amount!

• Kitsunin says:

I like Keyflower but…a friend brought it and we played it 6-player once. It was supposed to be a games night, but it ended up being a game night. So. Long. From 1.5 hours at 3-4 to over 4 hours with 6 people. But far from the epic and interactive 4 hours (or less) you’d get from something like Eclipse. I guess it worked perfectly, but there are so many things out it’s this mess of choices which are horribly overwhelming and you wait so long to do anything. I won by a landslide too, but ugh, not fun.

• Scurra says:

Fair enough. Each player you add to a game like that makes the exponential curve accelerate, but the point was that the game still actually works with 6, which vanishingly few other titles can manage…

• buschap says:

I’d like to suggest Roborally. At 2-3 players, it’s a pretty methodical and strategic game. At 6-8, it’s utter chaos.

The base game is in print and relatively available (one copy at Amazon right now). The expansions, sadly, were never reprinted. You can find print-and-play additional boards, but the first expansion had additional cards and tokens.

Aerothorn says:

Do note: Hasbro has released a second edition of Robo Rally with some significant rules changes, but in their infinite wisdom, don’t call it a second edition and use an identical-looking box, and you an only tell by reading some tiny text about the number of cards and inferring it.

Both are supposed to be good, so it’s not exactly a buyer beware, but know there are two versions out there.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Powergrid, it’s like Monopoly only not shit.

Catan, Carcossone or Agricola. Pick one.

Legendary Encounters, deck building game based on the Alien franchise. Was RPS’s boardgame of the year a couple years back.

Somebody else mentioned Cosmic Encounter. I second that. It’s basically a game of being different alien races and being a dick to your friends. Role-playing encouraged.

• malkav11 says:

For a similar but much more immersive and interesting approach to the “exploring a haunted house with very different horrors from one scenario to the next” concept of Betrayal, I would recommend Mansions of Madness. It’s definitely pricier but it’s way more fun, IMO.

Whenever they finally reprint the Arkham Horror LCG, that might also be a worthwhile thing to investigate – I’m hearing very good things – but since it’s not available except through scalpers right now I haven’t tried it for myself.

Other coop games worth investigating include Pandemic Legacy (personally I don’t like baseline Pandemic, but the Legacy version invests it with so much more personality and keeps you on your toes with regular twists and turns; it’s a one off campaign, though); Sentinels of the Multiverse (massively expandable, hugely thematic, plays up to five and is hugely replayable); and Space Alert (very funny, real-time, with a ton of variety and challenge, and I believe it scales to six – problem being it’s a bit lame under 4).

Wanting something that works with 1-2 but scales well up to 6 is kind of a problem, though. The thing about boardgames is that there’s usually a sweet spot for number of players, and if that’s 5-6 it’s usually not going to be that great with 2 and vice versa. Honestly, the best 2 player games are usually 2 player specific, and most other games tend to be best at 3-4 (more 4 than 3). Games that are really great with 5-6 players are a rarity. There’s stuff like Fief or Twilight Imperium or Dune (reskinned as Rex by Fantasy Flight), but they tend to be really long and heavyweight and aren’t fun for 2.

• floogles says:

Another vote for Eldritch Horror, 2 people does just about work. Better is controlling 2 characters each, one as yourself and the other with the personality of your favourite soft toy. Makes for some ridiculously funny gameplay.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Wow, this is why I love RPS. Thanks for all the tips guys. So, Eldritch Horror sounds like the one most fitting what I was after but brilliantly I mentioned this to gaming mates and someone has that, and someone else has Mansions of Madness so we’ll be totally checking those out shortly. Think I’ll start things off with a nice cheap Coup, and go from there. Two shouts for Agricola, hmm, noted. As a group we’ve already got Codenames and both Pandemics, but yes excellent shouts.

Oh, and just, damn everyone to hell for not convincing me to look at the Dark Souls boardgame when it was KSing. I don’t even care how bad it is, just what a thing to have in your house. Hmm. This could become an expensive hobby, I fear.

Cheers RPS commentators!

2. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

In terms of proper games, I’ll be cracking on with Shadow Tactics. It is really rather good.

However the game I’ll boot up (as it were) most often this weekend is Fallen London. Recently became a POSI, and goodness me there’s a lot to do.

3. Chaoslord AJ says:

I’ll start making a “dwarven fortress” in Tolkiencraft 2 (MC mod pack) and those sessions already kll many hours.
    The rest goes to Skyward Sword where I will rage against the motion controls. This and pen and paper tabletop with pals.

• funky_mollusk says:

You use pen?? So you re-write your charater-sheet everytime you level up?

4. Lowthor says:

I’m playing through Butal Legend and trying to decide whether its charms are enough to get past the fact it feels like someone taped three half completed games from different genres together.

I may also dip into Stronghold.

Basically I’ve embargoed myself on new purchases until Numanumana comes out.

5. lglethal says:

I said I wouldnt buy it until the price came down, and them humble monthly happened, I then said I wouldnt play it until I had some time, and then well I got sucked into it. Now I’m playing a Vampire Counts campaign in Total Warhammer, and loving it. Stupid Timesink that it is…

Also maybe trying to finish my XCOM Enemy Within campaign, so i can move onto XCOM2 (curse you humble monthly again!).

Really should make time to finally finish Deus Ex Man´kind Divided, but i just dont see that happeneing this week…

Oh and going to IKEA. Because, well sometimes life gets in the way of gaming. Stupid life… ;)

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I did the same thing with Total Warhammer. It was a decent show of restraint on my part, considering I’ve been waiting for this game for about 20 years: since I was a kid and saw Shogun 1, I thought: “You know what would be cool? This game, but in the Warhammer Fantasy world”.

Right now, I’m wrapping up a Dwarfs campaign: after kicking the Greenskins back to their holes, I’m saving Karl Franz’s ass against the never ending tide of Chaos. After that, there are a few pointy ears who have been noted in the Book and are currently holding the last Karaks I need to win. Sharpen yer axes, lads, we’re going to be lumberjacks!

• dogwaddle says:

I am waiting to see what kind of deals come out with the make war not love event before picking up Warhammer. For some reason I have a compulsion to buy all my games from steam. Nice to have all my games in one place. I am also considering getting some of the DLC culture packs for Attila.

• lglethal says:

The Humble Bundle games come with a Steam key, so you can get Warhammer at Humble Bundle and have it in your steam library (counts exactly the same as if you bought it on Steam)…

• dogwaddle says:

Wow, I really derped on this one. Should have done my research first…… For some reason I thought it was under a different service like GOG.

6. dethtoll says:

Need to get back into Dishonored 2 after a couple days’ break.

7. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

I returned to doppelganger-me-do The Swapper t’other day after my second 6 month long break from it and as before I successfully beat a puzzle I’d previously been stuck on for days, in minutes. T’is a lovely game.

8. second_hand_virgin says:

f5,f8,f5,f8,f5,f8… Shadow Tactics Blades of Shogun is hell of a game… f5, f8, f5, f8, dang! maybe I should restart this level once again.

particlese says:

Skyrim’s Dragonborn DLC. The voice acting and the naked words it conveys seem oddly stilted in this one, especially compared to (at least good memories of) Dawnguard’s, but the environments and setting more than make up for that. Here is a Eurogamer article which, combined with a couple levels of linkage within it, has gotten me reminiscing in such terms about TES in general. Including ESO.

Yesterday, just to try something new, I played the pre-tutorial part of Deus Ex: MD and am so far quite taken with the modeling and animation (albeit simultaneously bothered by the jerky aspects of the character animation). Also, the controls felt super weird after a year of little other than ESO and Devil Daggers.

10. Herzog says:

NEO Scavenger
    Had a good run where I lasted four days, but in the end died through a sickness because I did not boil the drinking water (plus maybe dirty rags on feral dog bites).
    Also using the tracking skill now every time to get the dogman coat in the beginning. Fun game and slowly getting the hang of it.

11. Agnosticus says:

Bleed 2 just came out, finished it and will give it another go. If you liked the first one, it’s a no-brainer!

For Honor ofc, I’m in love with the combat mechanics, but not so much with the p2p connection (it’s really showing this time!), the tug-of-war-but-not-really game mode and the 4v4 deathmatch

Rainbow Six: Siege because it’s always a blast! And the periodic meta shifts via new operators really keep it fresh!

12. Ejia says:

Because of the (relatively) recent HYP on it I’m going to see to finally playing Grim Fandango – well, the remastered version anyway

Edski says:

Witcher 3. This is my third attempt, and I’m gonna finish it this time! Must not get sidetracked until it all becomes too huge and confusing. Close to heading off for Skellige. Must get through to ‘Blood and Wine’ as I loved Touissant in the books, and am really hoping there are some Knights Errant (‘Pon my word!’)

AutonomyLost says:

Do you have both the Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine DLCs? If so, I recommend saving Blood and Wine for last, as it has the right feeling of finality for the game and Touissant is worth basking in knowing it’s the last area you’ll be visiting. I can’t praise TW3 highly enough; it’s now one of my all-time favorite games, and I’m positive I’ll be revisiting it for a NG+ soon enough.

Have fun with it!!!

Edski says:

It’s a brilliant game. Probably spent a couple hundred hours on it. I almost finished the main plot the first time around, but got distracted. I’m trying to stick to the main plot and monster hunts this time around, and not get caught up with too many side quests or running about looking for crafting components (the gear it dishes out is good enough).

As for Blood and Wine, I’d understood it to be, as you say, a sort of epilogue. I won’t be starting it until I’ve finished the main story.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

This. Also, HoS is arguably the better story, despite not providing a new zone to explore. BaW is not a bad tale by any stretch of the imagination, mind you, but HoS just feels like a more coherent and original narrative.

Also, it probably has the best villain in the entire Witcher CRPG series.

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be playing Nioh probably exclusively. The game is so god damn good. I hope at some point they port it to PC, because it surely deserves the love a beastly rig could offer. Still, even on the PS4 I’m having an absolute blast!

• jdogburger says:

+1. Nioh is satisfying my Dark Souls 1 itch, DS3 and BB but they didn’t cut it although Salt and Sanctuary was good. I really enjoy the importance of items, skills and weapon styles over leveling in Nioh annd can’t wait for PVP.

• Chairman_Meow says:

I am also on the Nioh train! So good, the combat system is excellent, a mind boggling amount of skill trees, I might not come back up for air for months!

• KaiUno says:

It’s published by Sony. As Bloodborne and Demon’s Souls before it, you will never see it on any other platform.

But at least this here thing plays in 60fps without a hitch, so I’m not complaining!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Unless you are playing on a Pro the game has two options, one that retains resolution and one that plays 60fps. If you go the fps route the resolution will scale down.

• KaiUno says:

I don’t much care about that. It’s all about the fluidity for me.

Sure, I’d love to have my 1080 have a crack at it on my 21:9 with all the bells and whistles at 100fps, but since that’s never going to happen I’ll let is mangle the resolution to wherever it likes at longs as I gets my stable 60.

• Vandelay says:

I played I think the Alpha demo (or whatever the first one was.) I am a Souls veteran, having completed all the Soul games, including Bloodborne. I couldn’t get beyond the first minutes of the demo. One on one was fine, but the second I had to fight two people at once, let alone three, I just crumbled.

Was that demo just really bad at explaining how the combat worked? I felt like I was missing something, but didn’t know what else I could be doing to stand any chance whatsoever against multiple foes. I would be tempted to pick it up judging by the praise it has received, but I won’t be doing that if I can’t actually get past the opening 5 minutes!

AutonomyLost says:

Honestly, the only demo I played was the “last chance trial” they had a week or two ago. I booted it up, did the tutorial, got crushed when I actually entered the mission available to play, but decided I liked the feel, the aesthetic, the obvious depth the game offered — basically everything. That paired with the Team Ninja pedigree and Ninja Gaiden influence on the combat and systems, I knew I had to buy it regardless.

I don’t think there’s a demo available any longer, but I’d say if you were a fan of the Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 games on XBOX 360/PS3 and a veteran of DS, you’d be sorely missing out if you skipped Nioh. I’ve only ever completed DSIII, but I came to love the combat and the punishment dealt for greed or haste. Nioh is difficult for sure, but it’s just a matter of adjustment to its particular vein of Soulsiness… That, and getting used to the control scheme, which is significantly different than DS.

15. NetharSpinos says:

Rimworld! Bought for me by a sibling, wasn’t sure it was the kind of game I’d get on with. Been having an absolute blast with it so far. So many stories to regale (bore) my friends with, like the time a colonist became a savant after being shot in the head, or the time an enraged rhino helped defeat a band of raiders.

Still trying to finish off WE in Total Warhammer. Might carry on for a bit with the Bloody Handz once that’s done, but only until Bretonnia is released.

16. LennyLeonardUK says:

I might finally play episode 4 of Kentucky Route Zero this weekend. I’ve played the previous 3 upon each of their release dates and have enjoyed the series immensely so far. I don’t have a lot else on my gaming palette right now so it seems like the perfect time to play it.

I might also start Far Cry Primal this weekend. I’m kind of in the mood for a new open world extravagance, and after picking it up cheap on Black Friday last year I feel it’s about time I gave it a shot.

AutonomyLost says:

Primal is quite fun, though obviously feels very different than, say, FC4, due to the lack of any firearms. I’m not sure how you approach the UI of FC games, or if indeed you’ve never played them, but particularly with Primal I think toggling nearly everything off really adds to the experience of having to hunt the animals and people, and adds a great deal of atmosphere. I kept the reticle on though, as I missed far too many arrow shots without it and that just becomes a pain in the ass.

Hope you enjoy the game.

17. SquarePeg says:

Disgaea 2, Dood!

Also, I finally received my Frag FX FragChuck in the mail this morning so I’ll fire-up some GTA 5 and Fallout 4 to see how my hybrid half controller/mouse setup works.

18. Vacuity729 says:

Card Hunter, which at this point probably counts as one of my comfort-games. I have a backlog that’s enormous, but… Card Hunter it is.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Finally giving Deus Ex Mankind Divided a go. It’s pretty good so far although I haven’t been doing any of the missions. 8 hours in and still haven’t met up with Miller (although I have been to his apartment.)

20. trooperwally says:

Darkest Dungeon. I’ve been playing intermittently around other games for ages as it’s just such a good thing to come back to. The occasional updates help too. Also, I seem to be taking a different approach to most people playing it. I haven’t seen any of it as grind because… it’s actually fun turn by turn. I’ve got 130+ hours logged and am still finding new party combinations and tactics. Even though most of my roster is level 6 I haven’t touched the darkest dungeon as I feel no rush at all and am happy playing one gentle dungeon each evening in the week and just slowly maxing out all the skills etc. (and just occasionally losing a cherished hero).

My only minor gripe with it right now is that there’s no proper way to bridge the gap between the newbies on the coach and the veterans in my roster when one of the veterans dies. I end up having to wait to lose a total of four vets, then go recruit the right four newbies and hope that they all level at the same rate so that they can stick as a party until they’re level five or so. However, that’s a minor concern. It’s still a fun game to play.

• FFabian says:

Regarding your XP/leveling problem:

1. There is a Town event where you can take lower level heroes into higher level dungeons (or vice versa). Take one or two low level character and two of your best high level ones on a joint dungeon trip

2. Play the first level of the Darkest Dungeon. A hero that returned from the Darkest Dungeon can’t be used there again BUT he can go into regular dungeons and boosts the XP gain of accompanying heroes.

• trooperwally says:

Thank you! I’ve seen that town event but it doesn’t come around too often. Point 2 however is super helpful! Thanks!

21. malkav11 says:

Hopefully going to check out a couple of houses today (my first since the purchase I was trying to complete fell through).

In the meantime, I forecast a great deal of Hex: Shards of Fate and perhaps some Telltale Batman, since it was half off.

Lars Westergren says:

I finished RE7. It was ok, but the first 25% of it was the best part.

Bit of Darkest Dungeon, wonderful art and atmosphere.

Maybe a bit of Pillars of Eternity.

23. Cyrus says:

I’m playing road to The Witcher 3. Which means going through the other games as well.
    Since a few days I’m playing Witcher 1 and on chapter 2, guess I’ll be occupied with the prequels for the next weeks or so..

But it’s refreshing to play old games for a change instead of the pile you buy on Steam that waits on you. Well, in a maner of speaking they’re also often old there, but new to me.

24. geldonyetich says:

I am finding Tales of Zestiria to be quite entertaining. I decided to try the game after seeing some streams of Tales of Berseria, but ToZ had the advantage that I could pick it up for $15 on a recent Humble Bundle. Though I had head of Tales of Symphonia for years, this is my first Tales game, and I can see why the series is so well renowned.

If I had to try to guess why I’m enjoying it so much, it’s probably because they have set a very good pacing. Content is exhausted at a very good pace, new locales and cutscenes being doled out generously.

Another reason is because the combat has something that resembles depth to it, with several JRPG systems interleaved expertly into real time button mashing. Dark Souls it ain’t, there’s a lot of room for error here, but if you get invested in doing well at combat then it gives you a goodly amount to think about. One of more interesting aspects (unique to Tales of Zestiria) being a system that lets you temporarily merge two characters into a more powerful one.

Aside from that, just dabbling with making my own roguelike.

25. fish99 says:

Reading LotR for about the eighth time so gaming is on the backburner.

particlese says:

Ooo, excellent.

I’d like to start round two at some point myself, and now I think I can finally do it without memories of the movies encroaching too much.

Enjoy!

• fish99 says:

Honestly, you’ll still probably see the faces and hear the voices from the films while reading it, but it doesn’t spoil the experience and the book is still vastly superior.

26. Dekion says:

Life is strange. Been sitting waiting to be played since it came out. Episode 1 OK but really picks up after that. Hella good. Then back to bloodborne for run 3 to get the platinum. Then I can sell the PS4 I bought to play bloodborne.

27. floogles says:

Catching winter trains and system shock 2 blind let’s plays. Designer Notes podcast.

Also discovered Snatcher, can’t believe I missed out on this.

28. Gomer_Pyle says:

I will be trying out the For Honour beta as well as continuing my The Long Dark game.

29. Monggerel says:

I haven’t read fiction in a long time, but all the new(ish) books I have feel very intimidating. Also I had a rough ass January and wanted to read something nice and relaxing while I get cozy under a blanket and sip hot chocolate.
    So instead I spent the whole night outside under the open sky in the freezing Mitteleuropean cold and now I’m reading Blood Meridian for the third time. Third time’s the charm they say and I sure lead a charmed life so maybe this time I’ll actually forget something important.

Oh. This column is about games, right?
    Well that’s, really, quite apropos eh?

Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents and the humiliation of defeat and the pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake because they inhere in the worth of the principals and define them. But trial of chance or trial of worth all games aspire to the condition of war for here that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god.

30. Parrilla says:

Finally got round to getting a controller for PC so getting back into GTA V and might try getting into Dark Souls for the first time.

31. Rainshine says:

Lifts/aerials practice pretty much all day. Also, installed Sunless Sea to give it a try. Tutorial leaves me pretty confused, but I haven’t died yet, so I’m doing alright.
    Dragon Age: Origins. Finished mages and dwarves, on to pointy ears in the forests.

32. fiendling says:

I am trying out the For Hono(u)r beta and it’s surprisingly fun. It has the best sword combat I’ve encountered in a game thus far.

Aside from that I’ll also continue with my Witcher 3 playthrough, I just about finished up Skellige.

• LennyLeonardo says:

The combat is fun, is it not? Very clangy and immediate. I kind of wish it were more deadly, but perhaps they’ll add a hardcore mode or something.

• fiendling says:

It is a very intuitive combat system, I have to give Ubisoft Montreal some serious kudos for coming up with something like this. It is so refreshing when an AAA game manages to surprise you in a good way.

As to the hardcore mode, that might be a great idea, I will definitely need to get a lot better before I can attempt that mode :D

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, they’ve done a great job. Also, I’ve just noticed you can set the damage level for custom games. Woo.

33. caff says:

Hitman, and jolly fun it is too. Now on Marrakech.

34. xvre says:

I’m currently reading Metro 2033. I want to play the game after I finish the book. I’m a pussy when it comes to horror games, so I’m hoping that building a connection with the characters and the world will help me push through. Loving the book so far (about 1/3 of the way).

35. dawnmane says:

For Honor and the Radiant update for Darkest Dungeon. Oh, and Conan Exiles. All games are kinda stress relief-ish in their own way, and For Honor is the first game I have played in a decade that I could get competitive in.

36. dogwaddle says:

After the discussion of Sunless Sea last weekend, I decided to give it another try. Got hooked on it. I now have uncovered the whole map and got the cargo ship.