Ni No Kuni 2 trailer shows lovely friends and ugly murder

Everyone in a short new Ni No Kuni 2 [official site] gameplay trailer looks absolutely lovely, from your Pikmin-like spiritpals to the big furry fella you meet in the mountai- oh no. They’re fighting. Why are they fighting? Such lovely things shouldn’t- it’s dead. They killed it. Oh god, they killed it. This isn’t right. This isn’t right at all.

Here’s what publishers Bandai Namco will tell you is happening there:

“In this new gameplay video, you will follow Evan and his loyal companions Roland, Tani and the tiny Higgledies in their adventure. Fight powerful monsters, face perilous dungeons and help Evan become a King!”

Here’s what I will tell you:

“They are murderers. Beautiful, adorable murderers. It may be morally wrong to play this game and subject such fine creatures to such brutal violence. This isn’t right at all. If you see a copy of Ni No Kuni 2, destroy it to spare the digital monsters inside. Better they die as bits of plastic and bytes of lost data than inside a digiworld where they have such nice faces.”

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom is due later this year and yup, it is coming to PC even though the first game hasn’t. Though the anime wizards at Studio Ghibli helped on the first, they’re not involved with the sequel. Developers Level-5 have drafted former Ghibli animator Yoshiyuki Momose and frequent Ghibli movie composer Joe Hisaishi, though.

1. DUFFKING says:

Looks lovely and great to hear the amazing score from the first one is back from the sounds of it.

On the other hand, not sure about those overworld character models…

• noodlecake says:

I was literally about to comment about what a lovely nod to psone JRPGs the chibi overworld models were. Clearly not everyone approves. :D

• skullivan says:

Agreed, it looks absolutely gorgeous but the chibi overworld characters are jarring. I hope there’s an option to switch to the regular designs. The first game’s overworld was perfect, not sure why they’d change it.

I do like that the battle system looks to be a big improvement over the original. Can’t wait to see how it plays.

Don Reba says:

Fun fact: Ni No Kuni is an anagram for Union Ink.

• Turkey says:

Fun fact: Anime characters are actually closer related to wasps than human beings.

Don Reba says:

This motivated me to check if anyone has made an anime character taxonomy and, to my surprise, I couldn’t find one! Someone could defend a master’s thesis on this, if not a PhD!

3. Viroso says:

I recall that on the first game, you didn’t actually kill any of the little monsters you fought. There was some explanation for why they puffed into smoke and disappeared when defeated, but the game made sure to say you didn’t kill them.

4. draglikepull says:

There’s a lot I liked about the first Ni No Kuni, but I really hope they improve the companion AI this time around. It felt like the companions either used all their MP at once, or none of it at all, and it was something like half-way through the game before you got the ability to tell them to defend, which made some early boss fights painful. I also hope they make the pokemonster catching part of the game less random. But everything else about the Ni No Kuni was a blast, so I’m really looking forward to this.

• Hanban says:

I think my main concern was the monster levelling. When you “evolved” them, they went back to level 1 and were basically useless until you caught them up with the rest of the party. I remember feeling it got a bit grindy, and it halted my progression through the game every time I wanted my monsters to look cooler.

5. Baines says:

So, both lovely like Pikmin and violent like Pikmin.

6. Beefenstein says:

Didn’t finish the first one, felt like it lacked spirit. But this looks much nicer… maybe the battles seem more involved?

7. Swanny says:

I’m a bit confused. Is this coming out for pc, or is it Playstation 4 exclusive?

Edit, I missed the last sentence. Looks lovely, thanks for the.preview.

8. JackMultiple says:

No Ni Nu Kuni for you tonight, mister!

9. geldonyetich says:

If I were them, I’d drop the 2 from the title. It sort of underscores how these platforms didn’t have the prior game.

That said, Level-5 makes gold. Studio Ghibli makes gold. Surprisingly, their previous collaborations have not been platinum, but I do not think anyone was too disappointed.

10. headless97 says:

How are we not talking about how remarkable it is to see a gameplay trailer featuring actual gameplay?

11. Kelvin says:

Look at you soppish lot! Going into conniptions at the sight of a few rogues deadifying an (admittedly cuddly) menace to humanity!

Imagine, if you and your bleeding hearts were in charge of the world all a would-be dictator would need to establish his dominion would be a few dozen emogee masks and a well-trained rabbit.

I tell you, evil is evil; it may be cute but it is no less deadly. So spare not the monsters my friends, for when all is well and done it could be you on whom’s adorably-rendered bones they nibble!