The Humble Freedom Bundle is a ridiculous bargain

Humble today launched perhaps their best bundle yet. The Humble Freedom Bundle will cost you a minimum of $30 but that price gets you cracking games like Stardew Valley, The Witness, Invisible Inc, Mini Metro, Subnautica, Super Meat Boy, and over thirty (!) more, along with some digital books and… this is a goodun all right. It’s for a good cause too, with all money going to Doctors Without Borders, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the International Rescue Committee.

I really did mean that whole ‘more than thirty games’ thing. The Humble Freedom Bundle packs:

• 7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat
  • The Witness
  • Thirty Flights of Loving
  • Tower of Guns
  • VVVVVV
  • Waking Mars
  • World of Goo

And maybe some more later. And some eBooks and audiobooks and… strewth! What a bargain. All come on Steam for Windows, some have DRM-free versions, and some come on Mac and/or Linux too.

All money will go to the ACLU, IRC, and MSF, divided between them as you see fit. Humble say they’ll match up to $300,000 too, flinging their own pennies at the charities.

“We humbly remember that the United States is a nation of immigrants, and we proudly stand with developers, authors, and charities that champion liberty and justice for all,” Humble say. “We chose these three organizations because of the inspiring work they do in providing humanitarian assistance to refugees and displaced people as well as in defense of justice, human rights, and civil rights.”

You’ve got a week to grab this bundle.

From this site

Drib says:

Sigh. The problem with so many steam sales is that I own like… half? of these already.

I can’t justify buying the rest at $30. I dunno.

Ugh!

Edit- Still a fantastic value for people who don’t compulsively buy games and not play them. Hell, Subnautica and Stardew Valley alone are worth the cost. Stanley Parable too if you like your deconstructionist weird games.

• geldonyetich says:

I’m in the same boat. Most of the games there simply aren’t my cup of tea. Of the ones that remain, I own most of them, but there’s still two or three I’d like.

Not a bad deal for $30 under the circumstances, but an even greater hindrance to my purchase is when would I have time to play them all?

Geldon, you insensitive clod, give us $30 because this is going to charity.

STOP BLACKMAILING ME WITH ETHICS.

• raptir says:

I mean, it’s intended to be a charitable donation with the incentive being “you get some free stuff in return.”

duns4t says:

This.

There are a lot of titles that have been part of past bundles and have sort of… left the bundle circuit at this point. They’re back for a good cause and as an extra incentive in case anyone missed them the first times around. I’m certain it’s by design that most people who see the bundle will already have a lot of the titles.

I already owned far more of these than I am gaining, but was still happy to pick this up and contribute!

• Landiss says:

To be honest, personally I’m not a fan of that. It’s not easy to explain, as humble bundle may seem like a great idea, getting games while also helping others. I hope I won’t be seen as a big jerk here.

My problem is that as far as I know humble bundle is a business, not a non-profit organisation. And while yes, it is great that part of that money went to charities, it’s still a business and I don’t feel good with that. My worries are two-fold: 1) people who buy games in humble bundles might not give money to charities directly (anymore, or lower amounts than what they would otherwise), 2) the business is using charity as marketing, which I just don’t find nice in general (and, judging by how AAA companies started to take part in this, that marketing is working extremely good for them).

Of course, on the other hand, the money still goes to charity, so it’s not all that bad. But personally, I’m just ignoring that part when making decisions whether to use the store or not. I simply pay for charities directly, as something completely separated from my gaming, and I buy in humble bundles purely when it simply is a deal for me.

• Wulfram says:

This particular bundle the money goes 100% to charity, so its not really the same as some of the other ones.

• frightlever says:

“This particular bundle the money goes 100% to charity”

And in addition Humble are putting up $300,000.00 of their own.

• aerozol says:

A nice way to look at it is that (up to a point) 200% is going to charity :)

• AngoraFish says:

At this point, with 6 hours and 15 hours remaining on the bundle, they’ve already received more than $1,500,000 in revenue, making their contribution 20%, not 200%, and it’s only going down further.

None of which is intended to take away from their generosity in agreeing to donate $300k in the first place.

• aerozol says:

hence “up to a point”

• Viral Frog says:

Humble being a business rather than a non-profit is actually probably better than not. Non-profit organizations in America tend to rake in millions (or more!) dollars that charities will never see a dime of. As a business, they would be far more regulated. If they were to be audited, and it was found that they were not distributing funds as directed (by the people purchasing the bundle or the 10% from all store purchases that they donate), they would be fined heavily and possibly face other penalties. Non-profits aren’t anywhere near as regulated and thrive on ripping people off. Non-profits tend to give paltry sums towards the actual charitable work they claim to do, while the people in charge rake in fortunes of untaxed money.

• Landiss says:

I don’t know much about how things work in US, but it seems to be a very twisted way of looking at it. After all, the money is directed to non-profit organisations here, so if you really think what you wrote, you should not take part in this event.

To my knowledge, the scandals we heard about non-profit organisations is precisely because they are regulated and have to be very open about their finances (at least in Europe). It might be similar phenomenon to the one about rape statistics in Nordic countries (was it Sweden? I’m not sure what’s the current status of that, but at least some time ago the stats were high, but not because there were more rapes there and there was bad law about that, but precisely the other way around, because the law is good, much more rapes are reported).

For example, I found some detailed financial reports on the International Rescue Committee website here:

link to rescue.org

Everyone can check themselves what the money is going for.

Anyway, as I said, I don’t know much about the law in US about that.

And I never accused Humble of stealing the money or not forwarding it where they promise they would. That’s not the point.

• causticnl says:

ah yes lets inject this discussion with more fake news.

• aerozol says:

Everyone I know who says this kind of shit doesn’t donate money to anyone, through a non-profit or otherwise.
            Whatever makes you feel comfortable I guess.

subdog says:

This is complete nonsense. Charitable organizations in the United States are audited all of the time, especially those that do any business with the government or have a foundation managed by a bank. It’s literally an annual process for most charities. As a 501c3, you are more likely to face an audit than an LLC by orders of magnitude.

On top of that, their financial statements are a matter of public record by law. And there are multiple watchdog organizations that use that public info to hold charities accountable and rank them based on waste and administrative overhead.

• GDorn says:

Don’t confuse non-profit with charity. They are different entities, with different auditing and disclosure requirements. For example, most large charities file public disclosures of how they spend their funds, down to the project level.

You can see this, in great detail or in a comparative summary, via Charity Navigator, which compiles these disclosures into a ranking system. It also fixes a particular annoyance I’ve had with charities in the past – that they sell your contact information to other charities, which results in unwanted dead-tree mail.

So yeah. Charities are a whole lot more transparent than a lot of private, non-IPO businesses. They have to be, because donations come from people who care that their money is being put to good use.

• cardboardcity says:

True for the US anyway. One of the great scams here is to wear the halo of being a non-profit and then fleecing suckers.

That’s not a comment on this particular product, however.

• MisterFurious says:

He’s right, jerkies. Most of the non-profit organizations in the US rake in millions and most of it goes into the pockets of the people that run the organizations and they pay little to no taxes. Some organizations like PETA invest in things like real estate with that money so they can make more money. What does real estate have to do with saving animals? Nothing. They make a lot of money doing it, though. Religious organizations are the same. There are mega churches that make tens of millions of dollars every year and don’t pay a single cent in taxes. Most of it goes right into the pockets of the preachers. They live in giant mansions and have personal jets and say they need it because Jesus said so. This is the country that gave the world Scientology, for fuck’s sake. A religion created by a terrible science fiction writer solely for the the purpose of making money and it worked. Maybe in Europe you have regulations to prevent this kind of corruption from happening but in America, the laws are written by the rich to help the rich. If you donate a dollar to most American charities, maybe a penny will go to the cause you want to help. The rest goes into the pocket of the people running that charity.

• Michael Anson says:

The thing to remember with Humble Bundle is how the money is distributed. Namely, you decide how the money is distributed. When you pay the recommended distribution, both the charity and the developers share most of the money, and HB get a small amount. But, you can customize the payout, so that all the money you pay goes to charity, or all to the developers, or all to HB, or any distribution you prefer. So while HB is a company, it’s a company that is very upfront about where the money goes and puts that control in your hands.

And, clearly, it’s worked well for them, given that they continue to be the most successful bundler out there.

• Dynamique says:

I own like a dozen of them (some of which I haven’t even played yet), still tempting… plus charity… *sigh*

• ButteringSundays says:

I own most of the titles I’m interested in, there’s JUST enough there, that at full price I’m at least ticking a few items off the wishlist.

If it weren’t all going to charity I don’t think I’d have bothered, but sod it. Few interesting books too which is a plus.

MajorLag says:

Man, I feel you. Most of the stuff on here that I would consider the best I already own, and am not much interested in the rest.

Except for The Witness. I’ve been wanting to play it day one, honestly, but I’ve resisted because if I didn’t resist buying games I thought I wanted my Steam Library would only be useful as decoration, like my college degree.

2. stuw23 says:

Thank you for posting about this; this is an incredible bundle, and for some great causes. I have some of these already, but that just means some friends will be getting more unexpected gifts from me :)

3. caff says:

Awesome bundle of games, you would literally be a big stupidface not to buy this if you don’t own them.

4. Sandepande says:

Sold.

5. harmen says:

When I was very little I sometimes got a CD full with (pirated) games. It was so hard to choose which one to play first, they all looked so good!

This feels more or less the same. Great job, all involved.

6. KillahMate says:

My God, it’s full of stars…

Jiblet says:

Just watching Last Week Tonight and thinking “I should donate to the ACLU” and weighing up if I really should given I’m not American…. and this comes along. Well there you go ACLU, spend your 10 bucks wisely.

• Vanderdecken says:

Anyone can donate to the ACLU, from anywhere. Sure they only operate in one country, but they do good work and we’re all humans.

• thedosbox says:

The key difference here is that Humble will match a portion of the contribution (i.e. the first $300,000).

Grizzly says:

The ACLU’s own website does only appear to allow people to donate via credit card, so these bundles can work for people who don’t have them.

8. JaminBob says:

Pay day is 2 days away…

Thanks for the heads up!

rootfs.ext2.gz says:

Oh my word, the Humble Bundle gang *really* have got a good bundle here…

10. fish99 says:

That’s got to be one of HBs best bundles ever, but I have all the big value titles already.

11. meepmeep says:

R in a nutshell

I assume this is the latest game from Zachtronics?

johannsebastianbach says:

Had most of them already – but now my friends have the opportunity to see me as a very generous game-gifting person. Perfect!

Thumbs up to Humble Bundle!

13. Suits says:

If you never bought their bundles it is a great deal indeed

14. Banks says:

Humble is killing it lately.

DantronLesotho says:

I got this bundle right away. Even if I already have 2/3 of the games on there, this is a great deal come holiday 2017.

16. Koozer says:

I’m donating to International Rescue. They’ve been using the same vehicles for 20-odd years, they clearly need the cash.

17. oWn4g3 says:

I own quite a few of those games already but The Witness and Subnautica are luckily not among them and have been high on my wishlist for a while. Great bundle for a good cause with three very reputable organizations.

18. n0m0n says:

So, not to help any big publishers out with their marketing or anything, but don’t you see this as a great opportunity for some of the big guys to get some brownie points by tossing in a couple of games (“More content coming soon! “) and offering to match some further donations…?

19. somnolentsurfer says:

This is ridiculous. I already own at least 18 of the games in it and there’s probably already enough in there that the remainder would make it worth while.

20. E_FD says:

I don’t know if it was intentional, but putting this promotion right next to Paul’s fantastic Stardew Valley article is a really inspired decision.

21. drezworthy says:

If I didn’t just donate 50 bucks to the ACLU I would get the bundle. But honestly I’m not interested in most of the titles, it’s just clutter titles. Except for a couple. Which I already own.

22. satan says:

Rushed in and bought this after just looking at the first row of games, looking at the rest now… doesn’t seem to be much variety, everything is a platformer or a puzzle game.

subdog says:

You’re absolutely right. If you take away the platformers and puzzle games after the first row, all you’re left with is a paltry Nuclear Throne, Octodad, Invisible Inc., Stanley Parable, Sword & Sworcery, Thirty Flights of Loving, ROCKETSROCKETSROCKETS, Read Only Memories, 7 Grand Steps, MiniMetro, Tower of Guns, Song of the Deep, Monster Loves You, AI War, Sproggiwood, Hot Tin Roof, Secrets of Raetikon, Ellipsis, Streamline, and Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball.

KRVeale says:

Well facted, there. Well facted. *sage nod*

• satan says:

*long sigh*

MOST of the games. Feel better?

subdog says:

No? Platformers and puzzle games may be the two most represented genres in the bundle, but even if you add them both up they don’t come close to making up a majority of what you’re getting.

• satan says:

Oh for fuck’s sake… even using the most generous genre classifications I can, I still count more than half of the games that are platformers/puzzlers.

What are you even trying to achieve here? I made a throwaway comment after a throwaway purchase, the kind of thing I might have said to a friend. Let’s say I come around to your way of thinking, what exactly is the lesson for me here? That every single thing I type, say or think must be measured down to the specifics? Was I meant to sit here and triple check that every single game met the criteria? Do you not interact with people who use phrases like everything/forever? Are you living in some kind of totalitarian city-state where these phrases are not allowed in general conversation? Do you not realise these phrases aren’t meant in an absolute literal sense in every single instance they are used? Fucking hell you’re killing me.

• aerozol says:

You made a call that was a bit too big, don’t worry about it, nobody’s perfect.
            Taking it with some grace goes a long way, the only thing that will make you REALLY look like a dipshit is trying to turn the tables with some sort of “how dare you expect me to mean the words that I said whenever I say them” kind of strategy… ooohhhh, too late huh?

• satan says:

It was a straw that broke the camel’s back kind of moment for me, I’m just so sick of trying to meet people halfway (see post: *long sigh* MOST of the games. Feel better?) and still being told it’s not good enough. Seem to be the only interactions I have online any more (clarifying that a phrase I used wasn’t meant in it’s most literal sense), and after a particularly bad day, it just really got me down.

Nauallis says:

So “walk away” from the comment thread! What brings you back, misplaced pride? A need to be “right”? You want to save face? hahahaha

Notifications that somebody responded to your comment? You can disable those. There’s no karma system at work here. You don’t win points or likes or upvotes.

• aerozol says:

@satan, fair enough, at least you can pat yourself on the back for reacting pretty well to my snarky putting the boot in while you were down. Things will get better.

• Koozer says:

I feel you Satan. The internet can be very literal and unforgiving. It’s the nature of the beast.

23. InternetBatman says:

I have not been buying as many recent indies as in the past, so my backlog just got murdered. And for a good cause!

24. Deviija says:

This is AMAZING. Great bundle of games and for such great cause(s), too.

25. pepperfez says:

My exceedingly fine equine dental inspection of this bundle found that Stardew Valley isn’t DRM-free, even though it’s also on GOG. Grumblegrumble…

26. 8itmap_k1d says:

Came to this for charitable giving; came away with pure gold.

27. Ztox says:

I always see people saying that Overgrowth is too expensive, this makes that price a little easier to swallow! Reckon I’ll pick this up.

Harlander says:

I’ve got nearly half of these, but I’m sure I can justify the cost by calling it splitting the price tag between the games I fancy but don’t have.

29. futabot says:

I justified the cost as a For Honor pre-order deterrent and a cheeky way to subvert my lack of Valentine’s Day planning.

quasiotter says:

Just an update, if you haven’t picked it up already—Subnautica and Monster Loves You! are sold out (!)(?), and Super Meat Boy Steam keys are gone (DRM-free copies are still available, though).

Don’t hesitate!