Procedural cop RPG No Truce with the Furies sounds so very odd and exciting

If No Truce with the Furies [official site] is a “police procedural RPG”, as developers ZA/UM Studio say, then I want to see its world’s CSI series. It stars a disgraced detective in an anotherworldly seaside town, and sounds to be full of interesting ideas. The devs talk about an inventory for thoughts, about walking around the inside of your own head to talk to your senses and memories, about strengths coming with weaknesses, about Planescape: Torment and Kentucky Route Zero as big influences, about disco pants… I don’t know what this game is but I want to. If you’re interested too, hey, peep this trailer:

I mentioned No Furies briefly after Humble announced it’s part of their initial publishing lineup, but goodness me it warrants a post of its own. After that post, I rummaged in the dev blog and — goodness me! — it fizzes with ideas.

Dialogue happens through a weird tape computer which is itself part of an in-world mystery. They want a feel of Dungeons & Dragons – but the focus of “heavy-duty story-oriented D&D” rather than just tactical combat. Passive skills interject to inform you of things. Dialogue is combat and combat is dialogue, and digging in your thought inventory (or drug bag) can be vital:

“You can prop up your side by rummaging through your Thought Cabinet and changing stuff around: maybe it would pay to be a radical feminist at this juncture? Or wait, no! Better to think really, really hardcore racist thoughts. That’ll do the trick, dazzle them with your advanced race theory! But would your character do that? Do you want to take your character in that direction?”

And even if you do fail, you might be glad to:

“Failure puts you in the skin of your character. You can be embarrassing. Weak. Ridiculous. Full of yourself. Just plain wrong. Paranoid. Idiotic. Every director knows that actors build characters out of failures and fears, not heroics. We’ve noticed players instinctively feel the same way. They begin to search for red checks to fail at. Especially the right ones – the ones that fit their character. They do this for character building, but also because they’re curious of the outcome. It feels like playing with fire.”

Or this, read this about character attributes and how even your strengths can worth against you:

“A high Intellect makes you overly confident – a cocksure intellectual. You’re vulnerable to flattery, and easily lose yourself in details. (The game becomes longer). While having a low Intellect makes you dim and superficial, prone to superstition and being plain wrong.”

All of this sounds great. Reading through their ideas and explanations has me jolly excited for a game where you’re always flawed but you struggle to overcome, and interesting things happen even when it does go wrong. As an expert fuck-up often undone by my own ‘strengths’ but enjoying the oddities that can cause and rolling ever onwards, I’m delighted to see No Truce reaching towards this. I couldn’t tell you how this all comes together, or whether the writing can carry it, or… but the ideas are very exciting.

Screenshots and videos are quite pretty too, and apparently they’ve got music from that there British Sea Power who are always on the radio.

No Truce with the Furies is due around the end of 2017. Only another 300 or so sleeps!

From this site

1. Elusiv3Pastry says:

For some reason I read the headline as “No Truce with the Furries”, which I think would make for an excellent game and also still fit the theme for this one.

2. KillahMate says:

Happy to see RPS finally take an interest in this game. I’m surprised it’s taken this long, seeing as it looks custom-made to get everyone around these parts salivating.

3. jellydonut says:

This speaks to me and the headlining art grabbed me immediately.

I hope this is good!

Drib says:

I read “Procedural” and thought “procedural generation” and was trying to work that one out.

Guess this works too though.

5. Seafoam says:

I read the title as “No truce with the furries” and though the game was about internet discourse.

6. Lieutenant_Scrotes says:

Very interesting, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Being made aware of games like this that I would otherwise never hear of are a big part of the reason I frequent RPS.

7. apocraphyn says:

Am…am I the only one who kept misreading that as “procedural co-op RPG”? Is there co-op? I would like to play a co-op cop RPG. (And this does look beautiful!)

8. LapsedPacifist says:

I was going to write something cogent here or try to, at least, but, I’m sorry, all I have is: WANT! WANT WANT WANT WANT! WAAAAAAAAANT!

Well done developers, you’ve mentally regressed me to being, what, three?

9. Stevostin says:

I am not very fond of that kind of top down RPG but this one certainly does look fascinating, and I also include its actual look.

10. Esin12 says:

Yeah, super pumped about this game. Been following it for a while. Glad to see the quick update (though I feel like I first read about it on here… Am I crazy?)

11. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Good grief, it sounds like they’ve been digging in MY thought inventory and pulling all the levers marked “I likes”, even down to BSP on soundtrack duties. Consider me very interested.

12. CartonofMilk says:

the title of the article got me to click it.

then i realised my mistake.

Procedural. Cop Rpg.

Police Procedural. Rpg.

The game is the latter, not the former. Shame.

(no even post NMS the term procedural hasn’t made games that are seem potentially terrible to me)

• Josh W says:

Yep, I also made the fury/furry mistake, so what I was expecting was pretty amorphous, although I would love someone to make it now. It could even form a weird kind of meerkat/market cross promotion too.

cpt_freakout says:

This looks very, very interesting. Thanks for the heads-up!

14. Deviija says:

This sounds very interesting for the dialogue as combat and combat as dialogue aspects alone.

15. Amake says:

Every word of this game sounds fascinating, but I love the title most of all. The conflict of interest between a by-the-book cop and the elder gods of revenging could fuel a thousand stories. Weird that no one’s thought of it before.

16. haldolium says:

this sounds very interesting and promising.

17. Georgi Trenev says:

WOW. Really hooked on this one, even though I still have no idea how it’ll play out gameplay-wise.

Comment on this story