For Honor released, but where’s the love?

Wow! Talk about shameless cash-ins! Today is Love Day, the most heartfelt of our treasured corporate holidays, but how are Ubisoft choosing to celebrate this? By releasing For Honor [official site], a game whose ONLY connection to Love Day is that it lets you stab people in their love organs (the heart and the bits)! Wow! If that’s love, please leave me off your Love Day card list! Love Day is a time for Valentines, Yann Ubisoft, not Vikings! The only samurai action you should see is harikissi. And the only ‘knight’ should be a long night of passionate handholding. I guess all Ubisoft love is money! Shameless!

So Vikings and Knights and Samurai are trapped in eternal war because reasons, see, a bit like a tedious moralising episode of Star Trek but without the peaceful resolution based on mutual respect and understanding. Instead, they stab each other forever, and we get to play as them!

It does have a singleplayer campaign but the focus is multiplayer. Alec quite liked the multiplayer alpha and, after the recent betas, at least two people I know are ditching Love Day to play For Honor. Wow! Thanks Ubisoft! NOT!

Ubisoft have announced plans for a year of post-launch content updates for multiplayer, adding new maps, character classes, modes, weapons, and so on. Like Rainbow Six Siege, everything will be available free but folks who don’t buy the season pass will need to unlock new characters with the virtuacash earned by playing.

For Honor is £39.99/59,99€/$59.99 on Steam and from Ubisoft.

From this site

Top comments

1. Horg says:

I am team red,
    You are team blue,
    I stab your guts,
    sword is red too.
  1. syndrome says:

Yann Ubisoft
    Is Yann, erm, like Ian from France or is it more like Urist from Dwarf Fortress?

2. Pogs says:

Say it with swords…

3. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Oh, don’t go all sentimental on us Alice.

4. BTAxis says:

Love! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

5. Christo4 says:

You kinda hug people while bashing them with different shields and weapons… Does that count? I mean they are over second base already. or was it third?

6. Fnord73 says:

Tough love we call it here in Viking-land.

7. Jabberslops says:

I doubt I’ll be getting For Honor. I played the Beta and just kept thinking to myself that “I don’t have time to learn how to play this game effectively or to have the fun I’m looking for.” Something I found extremely annoying is how sluggish everything feels, from changing stance, to defending yourself or movement on the “Battlefield”. The game just isn’t for me,

I have no time For Honor.

• mechavolt says:

I’m in the exact same boat, but on the opposite end of it. For me, the beta was friggin’ awesome, and I love how bulky and heavy your character feels. But just like you, I don’t have the time to get good, which destroys any possibility I might enjoy the multiplayer aspect.

• jonahcutter says:

You can play all the multiplayer modes against bots AI. Depending on their level, they can be easy to quite formidable. And you still engage in the gear progression and contribute to the overall factional war. It makes the game easier to learn, and spares you some of the potentially more obnoxious aspects of human opponents.

Though on higher levels the bots are still quite adept at throwing you off cliffs.

8. ocrooh says:

I started wondering, and Wikipedia helped me find out, that ‘hara’ in ‘harakiri’ is stomach, while ‘kiri’ is the act of cutting. ‘Harakissi’ wins with the night of passionate handholding, then.
    On the other hand, ‘commiting harakissi’ sounds like a criminal charge, so I dunno, jury is still out on this one. Gives good insight into Alice’s mind, at least.

Comment on this story