VA-11 Hall-A adds remastered Prologue chapters

Cyberpunk bartending game VA-11 Hall-A [official site], which Sin Vega quite liked, has launched a free update adding new story chapters. Well, old chapters. Renovated old chapters. With lots of dogs. The three-day prologue, released two years before the full game but kept separate from it, sees the run-down bar hosting a private party for adorable intelligent corgis with cute names and digital voiceboxes. Let me tell you, those woofy lads cannot handle their drink.

Developers Sukeban Games explain that the revamped prologue “sports the shiny new visuals from the current engine, new story bits, extra room skins and new music from Garoad, plus awesome remixed songs from Sage​W and Senza​Fine.”

If you fancy a crack, look for the blue button in the top-left corner of the main menu.

Reflecting on the 2014 Prologue, Sukeban say:

“…the Prologue episode was a small three-chapter release meant to be a test to gauge interest, get some money to fund development, and a bonus for pre-ordering all at the same time. We got tons of feedback that shaped the final product and it was key to our survival.”

Looking back at the Prologue’s initial release myself, dang, I’d forgotten how unhelpful that version’s interface was. I’m glad they listened to feedback on that.

The ‘Special’ demo chapter which introduced mysterious glitchgirl Anna Graem is also now in the main game, which is handy. You can access it the same way as the prologue. I think that’s all of the game finally now, y’know, in the game?

To celebrate this launch, VA-11 Hall-A (still a terrible name, yet somehow better than ‘Valhalla’ would be) has a 15% discount on Steam, GOG, and Itch.

[Disclosure: Our former Bargain Bucket filler Cassandra Khaw works for VA-11 Hall-A’s publisher, Ysbryd Games.]

1. Pich says:

I have already played this game twice over in a row and still i get the urge to replay it every week, like a really good book (which i guess it kinda is).

2. nattydee says:

I have to be honest – I played through the first 6-7 days of this and found it more or less irredeemably sexist. I also bought this because of the RPS review and was excited for a slice-of-life dystopian future bartending story, but the onslaught of (yep I’ll say it) misogynistic male characters and female characters who largely came across as thinly veiled sexual fantasies was really disappointing.

Though I do seem to be basically the only person with this opinion :)

• Rae says:

WRiting is very meh but I did like the OST.

• bad says:

Agreed. The game’s atmosphere via soundtrack was good, but I don’t understand the hype the story gets. The characters are sexist cardboard cutouts. I guess I should have known given the original name for the game was “waifu bartending” :/

alison says:

Thank you so much for this. This game went on my wishlist the first time RPS mentioned it because I love neon-drenched 80s cyberpunky stuff, and I also spend a lot of free time sitting around in bars. I had an idea in my head that the game would be some kind of whimsical “drunken haze” storytelling medium, like that part of Kentucky Route Zero where you pick up the band. It’s disappointing to hear it’s not that ambitious. Plus – ugh – sexism in a 2016 indie game? Le fucking sigh. I have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

3. Ushao says:

This is pretty awesome! I’m in the middle of my second play through, so once I finish that I’ll probably check out the new chapters. I never played the prologue demo so haven’t gotten to see that part of the story yet.

sicanshu says:

I don’t think I’ve ever liked a concept more and its execution less than VA-11 Hall-A. As someone who’s spent a disproportionate amount of his adult life in bars (dive or otherwise), the idea of a cyberpunk bartend-em-up where you mix weird drinks for weird people and learn their weird stories had me genuinely excited. But it plays like the designers’ knowledge of bars is based entirely on third person descriptions (by someone trying really hard to be cool) and bad TV. You ever been to a bar where no one knows what drink they want, but it doesn’t matter because the bartender has unlimited time to figure out something “frothy” and “sweet”, after which the customers launch into extended monologues about how edgy they are (to which the bartender can devote her undivided attention because no one else ever shows up wanting a drink before the story’s over)? Seriously, go to a bar and try it out. Walk in, belly up, look the bartender right in the eye and say: “I want something bubbly and spicy and also I have a sexual attraction to prostitutes who resemble my dead daughter.” Let me know how that pans out for you. . . I did like the corgi, though.