Ama’s Lullaby is a cyberpunk adventure influenced by Westwood’s Blade Runner

Show me a game in a neon-lit futurecity and I’m interested. Toss in command line-based hacking and I’ll try to raise one eyebrow (nnnope still can’t do it). Say you’re also inspired by Westwood’s ace Blade Runner game and ah, heck, I may well post it on RPS. Hullo there, Ama’s Lullaby [Kickstarter page]! It’s an upcoming adventure game starring a teen settler on an offworld colony established by a caretaker AI, where events might be taking a funny turn. So off she goes, chatting, investigating, puzzle-solving, and hacking. It’s still early days but I live in cyberhope.

Here’s the pitch from developers Mercy Ground Creations:

“Playing the role of Ama, a high potential teenager who loves computer sciences, you will explore the colony, meet its human and non-human inhabitants, negotiate with the AI and make decisions that will impact directly the course of events. Thanks to Ama’s programming talent, you will be able to hack any network of the city, gather information, steal confidential data to use them for your own purposes, disclose them or even blackmail people. But be careful : every action will have consequences on the story, and you will become an easy prey once you identity is unveiled.”

Here, check out this sped-up prototype gameplay footage from the prologue chapter (I don’t think that’s Ama there?)

I have no idea why the video shows so much of boring and confusing shopping but then the camera swoops between areas in that Blade Runner way and ah, go on.

Also into: talk about upgrading your laptop’s software and hardware, about Ama very occasionally and reluctantly needing to shoot things (like in Blade Runner), and multiple endings and elements of randomisation in the story (also like Blade Runner!).

Ama’s Lullaby is headed to Windows, Mac, and Linux in spring 2019, assuming its current Kickstarter goes well. Blade Runner itself goes down in November 2019; still another few years for us to reach that awful neon future.

1. Faults says:

This had me at the moment they started switching between fixed perspectives by rapidly panning the camera. Also, the subtle shifts when walking about the screen. Such cool touches!

Not sold on that music for a cyberpunk affair, and I really wish devs would cool it with the neon accenting on everything, but honestly, those are minor quibbles – this looks really exciting!

Don Reba says:

Playing the role of Ama, a high potential teenager

We don’t know how old she is, but she’s high, so potentially a teenager.

I wish this game could succeed, but I don’t believe it will on account of the one-person development team with a history of over-ambition and the red flag of an overall poorly written project description.

• Farnbeak says:

My thoughts exactly. I would also prefer to see any traces of author’s works or at least interest in narrative games/IF which is core for such a game. Having experience with music and visual stuff is helpful, but only to a degree.

yhancik says:

I don’t know why it reminds me more of a (glossy) Else Heart.Break() than Westwood’s Blade Runner.

On a side note it’s funny how this cyberpunk aesthetic moved almost on the opposite of its claimed inspiration. I couldn’t describe it as well as Darran Anderson did, but the world of Blade Runner was pretty dark in all the meanings of the word. It didn’t show a future that felt shiny and new but, on the opposite, already old and worn out; elements of our presents even more in decay. Even if it was set in the future, it managed to convey a sense of nostalgia – probably strengthen by the noir inspirations.

I feel the look of this, Satellite Reign and others only kept Zohra’s chase from Blade Runner, and kinda mixed it up with Tron. Or maybe it’s closer to Akira’s own interpretation of Blade Runner?
    (and it’s not that there’s anything wrong with that of course.. i’m just rambling :p)

Harlander says:

I think there’s some space for hashing out a post-cyberpunk aesthetic in the same way that postcyberpunk exists in literature.

4. jjman says:

My problem with Kickstarter’s like this is that the quantity of the early backer tier is set so low. Those of us who work (I’m in the States) always miss out on that first tier. I’ll wait for the final release as the next tier goes over my own allowable throwaway threshold if development falters.

• phlebas says:

Yes, that’s a shame. Early bird deals that I’ve missed tend to actively discourage me from pledging even if I’d otherwise have considered the ‘regular’ one. I went for one of the other tiers though, can’t resist a soundtrack! I hope they make it…