Raising the states: Realpolitiks is out now

Realpolitiks is the practice of pragmatic diplomacy based on circumstance. Real politics is arguing with your mum’s friend Derek on Facebook about unisex bathrooms. And Realpolitiks [official site] is a strategy game set in the contemporary world with all its international crises and dilemmas. The first two have been around for a while, but the last one just came out today.

We’ve shown you what it looks like in a previous gameplay trailer but basically it’s a big map with decisions to make, menus to click, countries to bully, diplomats to charm and so on. For a more rounded description of what’s going on, let’s ask this paragraph from today’s press release. Paragraph?

Based on three main political systems (democracy, authoritarianism, totalitarianism), Realpolitiks allows you to extend the influence of your country through various means, all in order to win the race for global domination. Use your diplomatic skills, economic advantages, military power and the full freedom of moral and ethical decision-making to become a world superpower and ensure the well-being of your citizens.

Thanks, paragraph. In short it promises financial crises, nuclear jitters, interventionism, natural disasters, terrorism, falling outs, making ups, and some sneaky espionage to boot. There’s a demo for anyone willing to give it a pop before splurdging the £14.24/$18.74 on Steam.

From this site

Drib says:

Speaking of real politics, that advertisement about skin tags is gross and I wish it would go away.

This game looks neat though.

2. Shazbut says:

What use are moral and ethical dilemmas if my goal is global domination? That’s not a goal my morals are going to have

• EvilMonkeyPL says:

Then there will be a nation that wants global domination and, well would you look at that you’re there to stop them.
      That aside I kinda want to know if this is any good, it sorta has a feel of low-budget, dodgy EUIV knock-off to it. I don’t know, I guess I will wait for a review.

3. ansionnach says:

Shouldn’t that first one be “realpolitik”?

• Rinox says:

It should. But more importantly, I find the weird sort of German-English bastard plural ‘Realpolitiks’ that the game uses extremely cringe. I guess they wanted to make sure that the English-speaking crowd understands that this is a game about politics, but still. I wish they’d just called it ‘realpolitik’, or used an English title. This just feels off.

• Sin Vega says:

I kept thinking the same when I saw this popping up on other sites. Something irrationally irritating about it.

• eldoran89 says:

Fun fact in german the plural would be “Realpolitiken”

• Sin Vega says:

There’s your sequel name then, eh. Maybe set it in South America, call it “Los realpolitikas”.

• eldoran89 says:

Not bad. I like Realpolitiken as a sequel. Does it sound as stupid to an english speaker as Realpolitiks does, cause if not then its not good enough.
            Realpolitikos sounds great as a localised name. Maybe realpolitikois for greece or what about realpolitikus for a wizard version or….or…or…ok ok i stop it.

Dios says:

Fuck, the terribad comment system made me reply to the post, this was meant to go here:

That’s misleading, since people speak of “politics” in english but “Politik” in german…pluralizing it is extremely weird. So “Realpolitiks” should be…”Realpolitik”.

• Sin Vega says:

Don’t be silly. They would just say “realpolitik” twice, or more times depending on how many realpolitiks they were talking about.

• carewolf says:

You can’t have plural of mass nouns. Pluralising politic is like pluralising literature.

Just waiting for the game Literatures.

• ansionnach says:

I don’t really mind the game’s name as it makes it stand out from “realpolitik” a little. Just thought that the first sentence seemed to be trying to distinguish between “realpolitik”, “real politics” and “realpolitiks”.

• phlebas says:

Yes, it should be singular the way maths isn’t.

4. automatic says:

Games like these are not about politics. In these games characters usually react reasonably based on an algorithm that measures some attribute points. In the real world there seems to be no reasoning behind politics. You may be as diplomatic as a human can be and still be disliked because of some weird accent, or because your nose looks funny.

Dios says:

6. Anaster says:

realpolitik is the Bismarkian veiw of international diplomacy as practiced by the Prussian state during the unification of Germany. That is what the games name is a reference too. They are not just sounding german to look cool. It is one word with a specific coherent meaning (basically pragmatic amoral national self interest) not two words missing a space.

I expect the devs thought the intended audience would get the reference.

• Sin Vega says:

Yes but the word is “realpolitik”, not “realpolitiks”. It reads more like the developers thought people might not get the reference so felt the need to stick the English plural form on to make it understandable.

Which probably isn’t the case at all, but it’s the impression it gives some people. Or at least, it just strikes some as needlessly awkward or incorrect.

Not that it’s a significant factor in whether I’ll play it, mind.

• Rinox says:

Exactly. Like you, I’m not sure why this annoys me so much, but I can only say it does. :-D

Not that it’ll stop me from playing it either if there’s a good game under the hood. I mean, it’s not like I haven’t played and enjoyed games with questionable titles before. Divine Divinity comes to mind.

• Anaster says:

im just gonna guess that trademarking is easier if you do not use a one word title thats a real word. as people might challenge your right to sole ownership of a pre-existing word. Alter it a bit and that gets a lot easier…… but yeah it now reads like a garbled mess. Might have been better just to mispell it or randomly add umlauts.

7. Universal Quitter says:

I almost wish they’d have spelled it “RealpolitikZ.” Pedantic little heads would’ve exploded.

Oh, I almost forgot. I came here to be helpful.

If you can stand watching other people play games on YouTube, and you want to know more about the game than what Steam Reviews may offer, “Many a True Nerd” has a playthrough up.

Most importantly, he doesn’t sound like a shrieking harpy.

8. SamD says:

Just to say I brought this on a whim and am actually really enjoying it, certainly worth a try. The countries due all seem quite bland and similar at first but the game is packed full of events that completely change the world and lead to all sorts of fun what if scenarios.

In one game a unified Western Yugoslavia formed and then an Eastern Yugoslavia also formed and they began a low level war that dragged lots of people in. China finally purged itself of the ROC and began a huge island building campaign changing the scope of globe itself. I led a successful Brittianio-Scandanavian bloc until a sex scandal rocked my government and it fell to pieces. Imagine there’s loads more to discover as different countries too.

There’s also a scenario set in 2055 after a WW3 and that has loads of scripted events too leading to a completely different flavour.

A bit rough around the edges in some respects but I’ve found it forgiveable so far an all quite fun in a flavourful if not deep way.

Comment on this story