Time for a stroll! theHunter: Call of the Wild released

Hey, The Man: I intend to use theHunter: Call of the Wild [official site] for nonviolent video game tourism and you can’t stop me. Well, maybe you can; for all I know, players are locked into a tutorial where they need to shot a moose through each individual organ before being allowed to take a single step. Probably not though? I’ll soon see, as Call of the Wild is now out. It’s a first-person hunting sim, obviously, and a jolly pretty one – built in the Apex engine of Just Cause 3 devs Avalanche.

Call of the Wild packs 50 square miles of reserves, scattered across the world in different biomes. Grab your gun, your honking whistle, and go stalk some wildlife. Or don’t. Or do, if you want. It also supports multiplayer for up to eight folks, with both competitive and cooperative play.

Here, check out this recent dev livestream going on an hour-long walk around around Layton Lake District, an area inspired by the Pacific Northwest:

If Ultimate Pâté is a walking simulator, perhaps this can be too.

Oh, and do read Brendan’s ridealong with a real hunter in Call of the Wild’s free-to-play predecessor. The closest I’ve come to hunting is fishing on French holidays as a kid, and that was mostly an excuse to sit for hours on a rock in a river with the current pushing past me, so it’s an alien culture to me but ah, good ridealong.

theHunter: Call of the Wild is out on Steam for £29.99/29,99€/$29.99 (has the pound fallen that far?). Yup, this one isn’t free-to-play and doesn’t have built-in microtransactions, though developers Expansive Worlds do say they’re planning both free and paid DLC packs. It’s published by Avalanche Studios, the folks who make Just Cause and that pretty engine.

Early responses from players do seem to complain a bit about bugginess. Hmm!

1. JoeD2nd says:

Who would trust these people after that lame dinosaur game?

2. Ethaor says:

The complains are as much about the buggy state of the game as it is about the fact that there’s no hunt ot have in the game.

Whether it is by choice or by an unblanaced gameplay yet, the fact is that there are animals spawns everywhere, that hardly gets spooked even if you shoot their friend right next to them from 50m away and which very regularly call out their position to the player should you not see them yet.

Hopefully it’s a lack of balance and not a choice to dumb down/casualize theHunter.

Henke says:

Oh man, that’s a disappointment. I enjoyed my time with theHunter exactly for the hardcore challenge it presented, and the trailer for this looks promising. But if the AI is really that messed up. Bleh. Best to wait for bug fixes and a price drop.

MajorLag says:

Maybe it’s supposed to be a statement about hunting in general? Something about Man having the advantage by a rather wide margin and only participating in the act for fun, so the animals of the game have decided to deny him that. “No human, I will not run. Kill me if you must but I will not give you the satisfaction of the chase!”.

If so, it’s pretty bold considering such a message would at best be lost on your target audience and at worst get you a special singling out for boycott on AM radio.

Shame though, if that was the intent then I could respect it, even if the message does lack nuance. Instead I think they probably just thought they’d get away with releasing an unfinished product, and they’re probably right.

• DeusVult says:

stop spreading fake news

3. fish99 says:

Hunter was/is great, but I could never support the business model as a casual player. A buy-once play-forever version sounds great, just a shame it seems to be so buggy. I was watching a streamer playing it earlier, almost every animal was bugging out – getting stuck, not running, not seeing the player from 20 foot etc.

If they fix it, and it’s as challenging as the original The Hunter, I’ll buy it for sure.

4. Lupefiasco says:

Please, the game might be buggy, but the graphic, and gameplay is still epic, and its no one talking about the paywall in the comment? that shit is gone, and the experience system and point system to unlock things are epic, i used over 20 minutes to stalk a moose that was bleeding lightly….. the only bugs i’ve noticed is the game crashing, and that happend after i games 3 hours. People are nagging about shit that dont matter, it will get fixed and the game is enjoyable. At least it aint fucking Early access where the devs will abandon the game after the paycheck. Freaking stop whining…..