Tower of Guns dev announces Mothergunship

The creator of frenetic FPS Tower of Guns has announced a new procedurally-generated shoot-o-rama, Mothergunship [official site]. It’ll bring more bullet hell action against hordes of enemies and honking great bosses, and this time you’ll get to build your own guns too. Players will be able to craft megaweapons, snapping together bits from a huge selection which, I’m told, even includes a fish tank.

Here, check out this wild first-person bullet hell in the announcement trailer:

Goodness me, there are some big-looking nasties there. That looks like great fun and yup, a fair bit like Tower of Guns. That’s great, because Tower of Guns is great. As Adam said in Wot He Thought:

“For all of its speed, channelled from FPS games of the distant past, Tower of Guns encourages thoughtful play. Despite the randomisation of enemies, pick-ups and areas, every distinct element that can appear is a known quantity, and that means the risks and possibilities are always obvious. But no matter how much experience you have, if you can’t think fast enough – and, no insult intended, you probably can’t – you’ll still struggle to survive.”

That’s a solid foundation to build upon and learn from, and the crafting does sound like it could be a lark. The marketing blurb from publishers Grip Digital says:

“Want to have twelve-barrel gun that shoots homing rockets? Or do you prefer a lightning shotgun? And what gun wouldn’t look better with a fish tank affixed to the top? Go for it!”

Oh, I will!

No word yet on when Terrible Posture Games will release Mothergunship.

1. c-Row says:

As it’s not mentioned in the trailer and wasn’t a feature in Tower Of Guns, I think it’s worth pointing out that we will get multiplayer support this time around.

Join the ranks of the global resistance movement and take back Earth together with your friends. Fight together with a friend in a full CO-OP experience, or participate with the community while you work together to cut through the alien fleet and reach that ultimate goal – bringing down the MOTHERGUNSHIP.

2. Treners says:

Hmm. I actually bounced off Tower of Guns. I couldn’t tell you why (I’m certainly not averse to its genre, seeing how I love me some Devil Daggers) but it really didn’t engage me. However this looks like quite fun, and as c-Row pointed out it has multiplayer, so maybe I’ll give it a try.

• Baines says:

Tower of Guns was a nice concept, but the game itself was rather meh. It isn’t bad, just a bit too boring, repetitive, and not particularly fun. Outside of RPS staff, I’m not sure I’ve encountered many people online that would call it “great”.

• April March says:

Well, you’ve found one more right now!

Unless we’ve met before, which is quite likely now that I think about it.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Same. The one that grabbed me was Ziggurat.

3. CMaster says:

I liked ToG, but one thing that always frustrated me was the lack of choices you got to make beyond the moment to moment. Your build was basically determined by what powerups you got, which was mostly determined by if you got enough bonus jumps early on to reach them. If you can make some build decisions, and your weapon can change throughout a run, that makes the game a lot more exciting.

4. Thankmar says:

I liked both ToG and Heavy Bullets very much, so I’m looking forward to this. And thanks for the Ziggurat pointer!

5. Ghostwise says:

Gunmothership looks a bit stressful for me old nerves, but I did enjoy the few hours of Ziggurat I managed to play…

6. fray_bentos says: