The 11 bestest best apartments in gaming

1 of 12

Rather than marvel at digital houses we couldn’t even dream of owning an armoire to put in IRL, let alone the whole building, we’ve turned our attention to the world of videogame apartments. These chunks of partitioned living are often just modular, nondescript spaces designed to house clues or bolster the sense of people living in a city, but occasionally there are apartments which offer up a real sense of their owner’s character or palatial penthouses which ooze nouveau riche luxury.

We’ve handpicked a selection which stuck with us as beautiful, effective, weird, crass or some combination of all of those as we amble through the property pages of gaming. Use the arrows to navigate or the left and right cursor keys on your keyboard. Don’t forget to wipe your feet as you come in!

From this site

1. crazyd says:

I really like Jensen’s apartment in Mankind Divided. All wood and exposed brickwork with a pitched ceiling. AND smugglers hatches. It looks great, and functional, I’d love to live in a place like that. Human Revolution had a nice pad as well.

2. Stevostin says:

Pretty disappointing top. What, no Mass Effect 3 ? Or, in a different approach, Minecraft ? Nothing here for no one.

• Ryos says:

Ah yes, the famous minecraft apartment. i remember it like the back of my hand. oh wait.

• Levarien says:

Well, they may not consider Shepard’s quarters on the Normandy to be an Apartment, and the Citadel apartment wasn’t part of the game at release. But yeah, both were pretty awesome. RIP space fishes.

3. Rinox says:

My vote goes to Jensen’s apartment in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Loved the neoclassical style.

4. The Sombrero Kid says:

Soma should be in there. Both Jensen’s appartments should be in there too, where they realised ‘lived in’ doesn’t mean messy.

A fraction of a percent of people who played Bioshock 2 must’ve actually bothered with the multiplayer, I’ve never heard of it having an appartment.

Didn’t like Sunset’s either, it was so empty and sterile. Blade Runner really did feel like going home. Portal 2’s was a bit rubbish.

• Caiman says:

Agreed about Soma. That place worked, I mean basically everything worked (due to Frictional’s amazing UI), every item could be interacted with, it felt like a real place. It also had the best interactive toilet, and hence ticks another of gaming’s hallowed boxes.

Kushiel says:

I was one of those people who played the Bioshock 2 multiplayer. I thought it was great, and never figured out why it was so unpopular.

Anyway, the apartment was just a (lovely) space in which you could do character progression stuff, like set up your loadouts, change your avatar skin, and suchlike. It didn’t change at all as you leveled up, though there were various television messages that were viewable there at various tiers of progression.

cpt_freakout says:

The game might not be flawless, but Sunset’s apartment is not only gorgeous, it reflects so well the owner’s personality (was his name Gabriel? I forget) and your indirect interactions with him as it slightly changes every day. I disagree with Sombrero Kid above – you might’ve thought it was empty and sterile because that’s just the modernist style, and you gotta remember the guy’s a contemporary art curator and historian. When the coup’s underway and the owner starts to fill it with boxes of classical art the place feels weird, its style completely under the strain of history, all those things it attempts to leave behind but that is ultimately burdened with.

Also, Californium had some very memorable places, even if they were actually quite basic, like that strange bar beneath the museum in Mars.

Anyway, great list!

6. ReverendTed says:

Konrad’s apartment at the end of Spec Ops: The Line felt very memorable to me (for a number of reasons) and from its contents to its location had several elements that revealed a lot about the character.

caff says:

I’d like to nominate the apartment in the Blackwell series of games. Throughout the series of games, it developed in a most natural way and truly felt like a safe base for Rosangela.

link to imgur.com

• Sonntam says:

You are absolutely right! Often I only noticed how much she and her life has changed by the items in her apartment (and her comments about them). It was very insightful and made it really feel like documented well the passage of time.

alison says:

I came here just to post that. The apartment in the Blackwell series is one of the best parts of the game. It felt more like home than probably any other game apartment I can recall.

And to avoid commenting twice with a “me too”, I also agree with the other commenters who mentioned the apartments in the Dreamfall trilogy. Especially Zoë’s bedroom in the second game, with the teddybear robot, felt like a real place to me.

8. rcolin says:

No love for the Bequest Globe from Drowned God? Okay, that probably doesn’t count as an apartment, as such…

9. another1johndoe says:

For me, Zoe’s apartment from Dreamfall: The Longest Journey looks very comfortable. And April’s apartment from the first game too.

• Canadave says:

April’s place came to mind for me too when I was reading through this list. There was something about how it was tucked away on a quiet sidestreet in that massive city that I just found really appealing. I also liked the fact that you could just go and chat with your landladies about stuff, which made them feel a bit more real than your typical adventure game NPCs.

10. LuckyDenver says:

Is it wrong my first thought was the lookout tower from Firewatch? I actually wish we could have added some personal touches but I absolutely loved it.

Harlander says:

I’ll see your Blade Runner apartment and raise you the apartment in Rise of the Dragon

• elvirais says:

+1 that was a great apartment. I’d love a remake of the game except for the fact that most remakes are so bad… (not frustrated *at all* about how gabriel knight turned out ;) )

Kushiel says:

Came here to post just that! The way that the hanging light in the bedroom shook when the helicopter passed by blew my mind.

12. Veles says:

I remember playing Starship Titanic with a friend and you unlocking a berth that had beds that came out of the walls and stuff

• JimboDeany says:

Indeed it was excellent, it was also the economy class room but I preffered it to the higher class rooms purely because it was so cool!

13. brucethemoose says:

Test Drive Unlimited, anyone?

Acquiring a fancy Oahu apartment was one of the game’s goals, and it had some surprisingly nice designs… A surprising amount, especially since those apartments were basically parking slots for your cars and nothing else.

14. xvre says:

What about Paul Denton’s apartment in the original Deus Ex?

15. RuySan says:

The first one that occurred to me was the apartment from vampire: bloodlines, but I agree with john’s choice of the dream machine. Amazing game, amazing apartment.

When will the last episode be released?

• McCool says:

Vampire bloodlines indeed! That is a legendary flat, also commented on and remembered fondly as one if the game’s greatest successes. Being able to use your laptop to check emails, put on the telly, abs most if relax to Deb Of The Night on the radio really gave it a special feeling.

• poliovaccine says:

YES. Vampire Bloodlines was my first thought as well. I especually liked how the neighbors’ apartments were also enterable eventually, which is something that always bugs me in games (“welp, this must be where I’m going, since this is the only door where the doorknob’s not painted on”).

Was glad to see some love for Thief 2 in the comments as well, though I actually like Thief 3’s apt even better, just because I loved actually going out into the city and visiting your various dealers and fences – I always wished the intermission loadout screen of the original would be expanded into that – I was tickled brown when Thief 3 delivered.

Also, I know it’s not really an apartment, but Jimmy’s dorm in Bully was the only “safehouse/trophy room” that ever appealed to me in a more arcadey/Rockstar game like that. Maybe it’s just because my own school experiences were similar, but I really dug the various trophies, and the dorm itself felt authentic enough that I’m confident either a dev or three had a parallel prep school education, or else they damn well hired on a consultant. Mostly in the chaos of the students running around in their underwear pranking each other before class.

Also, Californium cannot get enough love or representation – ever.

Gnarl says:

Aha, but which one of the four options of Bloodlines would you choose? I’d probably go for the Tremere one, just because I managed to miss it on my first playthrough.

And the other ways it wonderfully integrated your choices was the amazing part. You’d get the news, Malkavian craziness would happen, your ghoul could have locked someone in the bathroom.

subdog says:

Tex Murphy’s apartment is best apartment.

17. Dugular says:

I loved the apartment at the start of The Journeyman Project 2. The slightly Myst-like time travelling adventure game.

It was super futuristic but clean and bright, with an amazing interactive television if I recall correctly!

• gebrps says:

Great! I was going to comment about the one in Journeyman Project Turbo! It blew my mind when I was a kid. I think it’s still one of the most ahead of its time apartment, very calm and futuristic. A little “cold” too without pets or plants, but I think it is one of the best apartments in the history of gaming! ;)

18. charmed23 says:

Awesome article, this is why I love RPS!

BUT cmmon, no mention of Henry’s lookout tower in the Shoshone National Forest (Firewatch) ?! It has the best BEST view ever. EVER.

Zoe’s bedroom in Casablanca (Dreamfall: The Longest Journey) holds a special place in my heart.
    Shepard’s apartment on Citadel (Mass Effect 3) is quite luxury too haha.

19. starclaws says:

-1 internets for not mentioning either of Garrett’s Apartments in Thief 2.

Aitrus says:

Agh, Dream Machine… Where the heck is that Chapter 6? It’s been years!

21. Troika says:

Also, the Void

22. gunrodent says:

You young whipper snappers don’t know anything! Zak McKrackens (of Zak McKracken and The Alien Mindbenders) minimalist 2 room bachelor’s pad in San Francisco was the bestest game flat ever seen back in ’87.
    Double bed, hidden credit card, ansaphone, gold fish in a bowl, massive TV, stale bread and garbage disposal unit in the sink.

Thirith says:

Yes, yes, yes! Zak McKracken is generally the great forgotten Lucasfilm Games adventure, and that apartment was perfect. That goldfish and that cat clock… I never really got into Maniac Mansion, but I loved Zak McKracken. It’s the best time I’ve ever had accidentally killing a two-headed squirrel with a stale baguette.

caff says:

Yes, I loved Zak’s apartment too. Here’s hoping Thimbleweed Park has a similar homely feel.

• David Fox says:

Thanks all! Zak’s bedroom/apartment was intended to be kind of a tutorial area… someplace where you could do lots of stuff and get oriented before going out into the dangerous world.

23. West44 says:

I don’t know how the Deus Ex apartments didn’t make the list, especially since RPS has done multiple articles about the awesome level design in those games.

Firewatch I thought would be an interesting choice as well but Deus Ex was a complete snub.

24. Spuzzell says:

I was so certain that the apartment from Alpha Protocol would be in here that I got to the end and kept clicking.

25. KwisatzHaderach says:

Mhhhh… Disappointed. I think a second round of the best of the top computer game apartments is in order.

Where is DX:HR?! Where is that dwelling from Jedi Knight on Sulon (level 4, where you get the light saber). Although the place was in a shambles, it looked very atmospheric and incredibly star warsy. And the witcher’s blood and wine estate should have made the list as well!

26. ikillvampires says:

The apartment in The Darkness where you could watch To Kill a Mockingbird in its entirety.

27. log1932 says:

The bunker in the first Vietcong game. I just loved to have a quiet place to return to after another bloody patrol in the jungle, with a prayer book on my bedside table and a collection of medals and weapons on my desk, and that wonderful radio.

• ToomuchFluffy says:

Yes. I couldn’t replay it on Vista, but 1-2 years ago I retried it on Win 8 and the crashes during the campaign were gone. It was pretty well done and was such a good way to add more substance to the setting. I don’t think I remember another game with a similar approach. Linear and mission-based, but with a meaningful connection in between. I really liked the pacing because of that. That the missions themselves were pretty varied in length and in how they played out, did help as well.

28. Chorltonwheelie says:

I like to spend some time in Wolfenstein The New Order’s hideaway.

29. Shazbut says:

My vote goes for the hideous metal crate that the protagonist lives in in Chaos;Head.

30. meepmeep says:

I like the one at the beginning of SOMA, with the added hyper-real aspect that the item you need to find before you can leave is always in the last place you look.

31. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Glad to see Sunset get its due.
    If only that part of the game had more… or any.. systems in place… The apartment was absolutely sick, but it didn’t feel like you were a real maid, more like a visitor in a modern art exhibition, where you’re only occasionally allowed to touch things. Cleaning up wasn’t the point, of course, but still, what opportunity for a proper maid simulator has been missed due to low budgets.

32. Poor People says:

What about Max Payne’s gritty New York apartments and the contrasting (and sometimes decadent) high-end apartments in Max Payne 2 and 3?

33. poliovaccine says:

Maybe what we really want is an article on player homes in general, since a lot of our well adored spaces reminisced about here in the comments are not actually apartments.. It gets easy to veer off into that territory anyway, so why not an have an article..? Itd be a lil redundant, sure, but clearly nobody would mind. Or at least a Vol. 2 of this article, like someone else suggested.

Comment on this story