Dawn of War 3 trailer battles over mythical pointy stick

A dramatic new trailer for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3 [official site] is here, which means lots of Space Marines and Eldar wanking on about prophecies, some wandering world, the Spear of Khaine, lords, betrayal, and other gubbins until Orks roll up looking for “da pointy stikk.” Bless your murderous hearts, Orks. This cinematic-o-gameclip video introduces the broad story in Relic’s RTS and yes, it does basically boil down to finding a pointy stick. But what better item to fight over? If you can win a fight without a pointy stick, just imagine how powerful you’ll be once you get one!

I’m obviously a big fan of Orks in 40K, those fun-loving fungoid cockneys, but I do realise they need contrast. Without this Eldar warpwaffle and Space Marine duty bollocks, Orks would just be kooky. I want that spear too, I do. I hope it gives some wild stat bonuses. I would murder forty thousand people for a big damage bonus or stun.

Anyway, here’s that prophecy from Farseer Taldeer:

Fiery skies shall light the way
Blood shall spill over the wandering world
The spear of Khaine shall call the wayfarers
And the storm prince shall unite them.

I dream of a future where the cyber becomes so fractured and divorced from context that this is seen as an actual prophecy. Some will see it as evidence of how quaint we were but others will treat it as actual prophecy from Olden Times when everyone was just so much more in tune with the universe. But which event will the futurefolk think this prophesies? Keep an eye on the news as the future unfolds, gang!

In the short-term future, Dawn of War 3 is due later this year.

From this site

1. Metalfish says:

Prophesies really are a rubbish plot device aren’t they?

• Jinoru says:

Frank Herbert did it right

• Xocrates says:

They’re a tool in box of tools. Now whether they’re a bad tool or if people are just trying to use a spork as a hammer that’s harder to tell.

Frankly, within the over the top, self-aggrandizing, silliness played straight context of warhammer 40k I’m fine with prophecies about pointy sticks, but I do know I’ve rolled my eyes plenty of times when the word “prophecy” comes up in other stuff.

• sneetch says:

Is it the God-Emperor’s Holy Spork? That actually can be used as a battle-hammer.

According to the prophecy, that is.

• Snowskeeper says:

The Eldar live and die by their prophecies. It’d be strange if there wasn’t one involved.

• Xocrates says:

That reminds me of Dow2: Retribution where in the Eldar campaign they fight each other essentially because it was prophesied that they would.

• Nauallis says:

It reminds me more of people pre-ordering a game knowing they won’t like it, and then being surprised when they don’t like it.

• DanMan says:

Indoctrination at its finest.

• Snowskeeper says:

I wouldn’t call it indoctrination, exactly. They really do see the future. I haven’t played the Eldar campaign, but given how highly they prize their own lives, I doubt the reason was a simple as “because the prophecy said to.”

• subedii says:

@ Snowskeeper: Yeah it is a bit more complicated than that.

I think a rough way of putting it is that there were two separate prophecies focused on two different goals, and I think one was more ‘long term’ than the other.

It’s also one more thing that pretty heavily implies the big bad and likely 4th faction of DoW3, which if anyone hasn’t figured it out by now, I’m not going spoil.

• Snowskeeper says:

Of course we’ve figured it out.

It’s obviously the squats.

• Xocrates says:

@ Snowskeeper: I tried to look it up the best I could just now since I was fuzzy on the details, but the gist of it is that one side prophesied the other would screw them over… which they do largely because they were shot on sight instead of talked to.

• subedii says:

*SPOILERS*

The Eldar from Biel-tan were working from a prophecy that they had to stop the initial exterminatus of Typhon, in order to prevent the destruction of the Craftworld buried on it so they could salvage its soulstones. This also meant that they had to stop Autarch Kayleth.

Kayleth and crew (the main characters of the Eldar Campaign) were working from another prophecy that said they had to work with the scion of the emperor (Inquisitor Adrastia) in order to prevent the destruction of a still living craftworld.

It was only after the exterminatus of Typhon that they came to fully understand the prophecy, which was that they needed to act to (in the long term) prevent the re-emergence of the Necrons, and this tied back to Farseer Taldeer (from all the way back Dark Crusade) and her soulstone, which Kyras had.

In the shorter term, it’s also arguable that the destruction of Typhon was necessary to actually reveal the buried craftworld, and so that they could get hold of the avatar in order to help stop Kyras.

Basicaally, they needed to get Taldeer’s soulstone back, because it may not have been possible to stop the looming Necron threat without it. But that may not have been possible without the destruction of Typhon. However the Biel-tan Eldar wanted to save Typhon because there was a buried craftworld there that was prophesised to be destroyed, and that they wanted to prevent that.

In both cases, they were trying to save Eldar lives, but one was a longer term goal.

Or at least that’s my understanding of it. Who knows, maybe it’s just a stretch of plot they had to make to excuse the Eldar v Eldar in the campaign.

In either case, I’m still calling Necrons for DoW3.

• Snowskeeper says:

Oh God. On the one hand, I really want Necrons in DoWIII. On the other, I really don’t want Newcrons in DoWIII.

2. NetharSpinos says:

There is a relic in the current Ork codex called Da Lucky Stikk…maybe it’s a (tenuous) reference to that?

3. kud13 says:

Gorgutz ‘eadHunter is one of the greatest RTS commander characters of all time.

I look forward to his further adventures.

4. SaintAn says:

This game is looking a lot better. Hope they announce the release date soon so so I can plan accordingly. Need to replay the first game and get through the second to get ready.

5. buzzmong says:

The battle bits looked a lot more like DOW 1, just bigger.
    I like.

Captain Narol says:

On a side note, “Warhammer 40000 : Space Wolf” got launched in EA on steam today by the company that made “King of Dragon Pass”.

It’s a turn-based tactical game with cards and a mobile port, but I’m tempted anyway…

7. Duke Flipside says:

Dawn of War III: Early Afternoon of War?

8. Von Uber says:

Why are the Orks cockney. I keep imagining Sid James.

• NetharSpinos says:

Because they are based, in part, on football hooligans.

• Dogshevik says:

The way they speak is what always kills it for me.

The Orc concept in 40K is actually -well maybe not innovative- but at least noteworthy. A fungoid species reproducing via spores, able to survive in extremely hostile enviroments, thriving on constant conflict, whose technology (and social model) is basically working due to subconscious mass psychocinetics…doesn´t sound too dull, eh? And no less silly than anything else in the 40K universe.

And then this is reduced to the comic relief. It gets old fast.
      I know this how they were always treated. But before the advent of 40K video games they seemed much more bearable. The absence of voice acting made it easier to ignore this particular, um, “stylistic device”.

• FFabian says:

May I suggest the (relatively) new book series “The Beast arises” by Black Library. It shows a very different side of the WH40K Orks. I think it’ll be more in line with your preferences.

• horus_lupercal says:

I see what you’re saying and can sympathise however I love that aspect of the Orks as it adds a bit of silliness to a universe that takes itself way too seriously. That and they’re so much fun to play as a GM in a 40k rpg, my players both love and fear the nutters.

• Snowskeeper says:

Agreed. The fiction works because it knows how ridiculous is and knows when to play that for laughs. It takes itself seriously most of the time, but then one of the most dangerous species in the galaxy uses Mad Max tech, has a low-level psychic field that makes red vehicles go faster, blue objects more lucky, purple objects more sneaky and yellow objects more explodey, and speaks with a Cockney accent.

• jpfeiffer says:

Actually in the the rising of the beast the more orks you gather together the more advanced they become. And they will hit a point in which their technology will work without orks believing it will work. From the mechanus the orks of the beast where barley hitting that level…..So it is possible for the orks to one day achieve a level of technology that will sustain itself and all races not just the orks can use….Its just the waagh energy does another level of slowly allowing the orks to unlock all the technology encode into the mek boyz and why you see pig doks and certian ork oddboyz in tribes without technology then without technology.

• Snowskeeper says:

Most Ork tech always works, to an extent. Shootahs–the most rudimentary form of Ork gear that isn’t just a bit of sharpened metal–will still typically fire, even out of Ork hands, but they have a tendency to jam or break, or, in particularly bad cases, blow up. They usually don’t do that when used by Orks, but they’ll still function out of them. Stuff like vehicles, Cybork armour, power klaws, etc. typically doesn’t start to appear until the Oddboys (Meks, Doks, Weirdboyz, etc.) start becoming more common. The sophistication of Ork tech is traceable directly to the population of Oddboys. Until then, most Ork tech is either looted from the settlements of other races, or extremely rudimentary.

It’s worth keeping in mind that while Orks can technically make things work through belief, they aren’t stupid. They need to believe that a thing works in the first place to believe that it works well. This is why they can believe that red things go faster and black things are tougher, but not that red things can spontaneously burst into flames and sprout blades or something. Orks aren’t as stupid as the other races believe. They just have a tendency to be extremely reckless, and they care very little about their own lives so long as they get to go down fighting.

(If you need proof that Cybork armour would work even out of an Orks’ hands, look at Yorrick. He uses an Ork powerklaw stolen from the Nob who took his real hand. It functions perfectly.)