Motorsport Manager revving up Gran Turismo DLC

I love Motorsport Manager [official site] even though I don’t know an exhaust flange from a dipstick. It’s easy to learn, doesn’t demand I bring a load of technical knowledge to the pits and it’s about human characters as much as cars and cash. News that DLC adding a GT series, with two divisions, is coming next Wednesday is exciting then, not because I know what a GT car is, but because more Motorsport Manager is welcome whatever shape it takes. There’ll also be a free update that allows you to make your own team rather than taking over a pre-built one. VROOM.

What’s a GT car then? It’s Gran Turismo, like that one PlayStation game that everyone played even if they hated roads and wheels. Wikipedia says this:

“A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed and long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

“The term derives from the Italian phrase gran turismo, a tribute to the tradition of the grand tour, used to represent automobiles regarded as grand tourers, able to make long-distance, high-speed journeys in both comfort and style.

“The grand touring concept is eurocentric; the definition implies material differences in performance at speed, comfort, and amenities between elite automobiles and those of ordinary motorists. In post-war United States, the Interstate Highway System and wide availability of powerful Straight-six and V8 engines rendered the original meaning obsolete. European GT’s did find success penetrating the American personal luxury car market, notably the Mercedes-Benz SL-Class.”

When I saw the term “post-war United States” my brain immediately jumped to a Mad Max type scenario, thinking the reference was to some future war. That’s what happens when you spend all day reading press releases from game publishers. I cannot lie that my excitement about new Motorsport Manager bits and pieces has been overshadowed by my desire for a Mad Max management game – imagine me, the Bullet Farmer, leading an assault on Gas Town. Imagine the Geoscape and the car customisation options.

The GT DLC is out on the 22nd of this month, as is the free team creation DLC.

From this site

Grizzly says:

Any word of them implementing support for the gruelling 12 or 24 hour endurance races? The 24 hours of Spa last year made me appreciate the difficulties of being a team manager and how important that role is.

And as a Mad Max fan myself, I could appreciate the Renault Clio “Short Tail” that finished the Dubai 24h this year: link to pbs.twimg.com
    link to pbs.twimg.com

2. daver4470 says:

In the US, non-pro GT racing pretty much equals the people who get together to competitively race their Porsche 911s. (I’m guessing there may be groups that get together to race M-class Beemers and AMG Mercs, too. I just haven’t encountered any.) I think it’s a lot more sophisticated and widespread in Europe, though. Many more track days, and more of an amateur and semi-pro racing tradition.

There are a couple of still-hanging-on professional GT racing series in the US — the Grand Am series and American Le Mans series being the most prominent — but again, it isn’t as big as it is/has been in Europe. (Probably due to the success and power of NASCAR.)

I’m interested to see how this works into MM. I’m guessing they’ll just shoehorn new closed-wheel cars into the 4-category tuning paradigm… which, I guess, is okay. The problem I see is that to do GT right, you really need to bring the manufacturer dimension into play, something that’s not in MM at all right now. (Yes, you “develop” your chassis between seasons, but it’s effectively as if everyone is using a common chassis and just tweaking. There’s no Lola vs. Cosworth kind of dimension there.)

• Kosmo says:

The ‘challenger’ series will probably just be a smaller category, maybe similar to GTE-AM in WEC or GT3 where there are a lot of ‘gentlemen drivers’. Or it might resemble a national GT championship. Either way, I very much doubt it will be random people getting together to race their personal cars.

BTW, it’s been a few years since Grand Am (officially the Rolex Sports Car Series) and ALMS merged into the TUDOR (now WeatherTech) SportsCar Championship. This championship also features multiple car classes and non-pro drivers.

Personally, while the DLC does sound interesting in and of itself, I mainly hope this paves the way for multi-class and/or endurance racing down the road.

• dharris says:

The Pirelli World Challenge is huge in the US, probably one of the bigger GT series out there. Good racing.

• daver4470 says:

GAH. I forgot about the Pirelli series. You’re absolutely right — that’s a well-supported and competitive GT series. Mea culpa!

3. Gunsmith says:

not a fan of F1 personally but if GT racing has certainly raised an eyebrow. I shall keep an eye on this.

4. c-Row says:

More MM content is always welcome in my book. VROOM, I say!

5. ButteringSundays says:

Whereas I’d personally appreciate a version for people that do know the difference between an exhaust flange (manifold?) and a dipstick.

This game, but in the context of scrappy banger racing with a splash of car mechanic simulator would rock my world.

6. JPott99 says:

So this isn’t a Jeremy Clarkson DLC…

Comment on this story