What are we all playing this weekend?

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Here’s what we’re playing
How about you?

Adam: I’m hoping to lose myself in seafaring adventure Soul Searching, and to find everyone else in Hidden Folks. I’m also preparing for GDC by downloading a million podcasts to listen to on the flight. If you have recommendations – horror and humour preferably – drop them in the comments below. Thanks in advance!
Alec: Updated my journal. What can change the nature of a man’s evenings? I have played many games across many lifetimes. I go now to a place of an unreleased one. You cannot come with me.
Alice: I’m stuck in a weekend routine lately: do my Binding of Isaac daily runs; try to sleep a lot. Until I manage that second part, it’s the same bleary-eyed stumbling. My daily scores are suffering, which just isn’t on. GO TO SLEEP, ALICE.
Brendan: I may try to better myself in For Honor after watching some helpful videos last night, which explained some things that the the brawler itself never does. I can’t seem to interrupt a grab correctly, for example, partly because the window to do so lasts about 0.00000000001 seconds. But I see people doing it all the time, so there must be some knack to it. If I lose my temper at being impaled by a Samurai sword fifteen times in one match, I’ll just quit and playfight with the cat. I always win those battles.
Graham: [Graham is on holiday, which is corporate talk for fired. Graham is fired.]
John: Do you know, I’ve no idea. I keep having these grand plans, but then entirely failing to find time to actually sit at my PC. Last weekend I played Lifeline on the telephone at long last, and completely loved it, so perhaps Lifeline 2? Or any of the other Lifelines. Or maybe I’ll just stare at Paw Patrol and wonder at how this all happened.
Philippa: I’ll mostly be playing catching up with beloved friends I haven’t seen in far to long, but there’s also now a spot of time blocked off for Cosmic Express. It’s a charming logic puzzler by the team who made A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build and I have a preview build which is drawing me in!

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Dorga says:

finishing my year long run of Planescape Torment in preparation for Numenera.

2. Mud says:

I bought the Manager bundle this week on Steam and gonna play Football and Motorsport Manager this weekend.
    Had them long time on my wishlist and was the right time to buy since I pass both For Honor and Sniper Elite 4.

• Ben B says:

I enjoyed MS manger at the outset and put 60 hours into it, but it just became a predictable grind in the end and when I got to top tier. It’s a nice game, but not as deep as it looks once you get into it.

3. Kitsunin says:

Playing lots of For Honor. It feels like a very wonderfully team-based and casualized fighting game. Tough and at times very frustrating (I’m looking at you bundles of 3-4 people who refuse to ever ever ever separate), but incredibly satisfying to succeed at, and just fun.

Technical problems are definitely there, but it’s working better than I recall R6 Siege being on launch, so I expect great things.

• LennyLeonardo says:

If there’s a more satisfying sword combat system I’d like to know. It’s so clangy!

• jonahcutter says:

Exanima/Sui Generis

I wouldn’t say it’s more satisfying. But on it’s own, it is.

It’s a fundamentally different melee combat system from For Honor. You actually move your mouse to swing. There are physics involved in the swing and in the momentum and positioning of your body. When you time your swing with your body movement is vital to success or stumbling around like a drunk. It’s about the best representation I’ve seen of melee footwork in a video game.

It’s very quirky and difficult to come to grips with. But once it starts clicking, it is so extremely satisfying. When you time your swing right with your movement and bash someone’s head to the side with a mace and see them react to the physics and crumple to the floor, there’s nothing else like it in video games.

For Honor is great. I’m loving it. But it’s a fighting video game. Canned animations and moves bound to key presses. Specific combos and button presses on specific timing. Exanima/Sui Generis is a representation of free-form melee combat in a video game. Physics. Body positioning. Fluidity. Footwork. And it’s great at it.

And there’s lots of clangs, thunks, grunts, and blood.

4. gabrielonuris says:

Conan – The Dark Axe. The old game made by Cauldron, published by TDK in 2004. In a time when games actually had high adventures, instead of simply punching trees and rocks and calling it a day.

It’s a mixture of Dark Souls and Tomb Raider with a marvelous soundtrack, totally recommend it.

• magogjack says:

I remember that game, solid fun, played it on console iirc.

5. Chorltonwheelie says:

Might take a stroll around the Landmark Dear Esther island, have a little cry for humanity then go and get shitfaced with Ms Wheelie. A plan!

6. AutonomyLost says:

Nioh on PS4 and Sniper Elite 4 on PC. Loving both of them dearly.

7. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Dark Souls 3eeeeee! Because I was just taking a break and now I’m back in and I beat that bastard boss I was stuck on (the one in the Disneyland church with two lightsabres) and now NOTHING CAN STOP ME

• AutonomyLost says:

Pontiff? He was a right bastard if I remember correctly. Congrats on the win! Be honest though – did you summon or did you beat his ass one-on-one?

I re-downloaded DS III last night to start a new character. Last time I tried I ran into an obstinate bug every time I progressed beyond the first Gundyr bonfire, and was forced to uninstall. I’ll be jumping back in and hoping for the best soon.

• Vandelay says:

Ah, the Pontiff. That was the first really tough DS3 battle and proved a turning point for the games difficulty. I was initially trying to defeat all bosses with out summons, but that changed by that point. Unfortunately, as soon as I summoned I realised how easy the boss was with someone else, as are the subsequent bosses.

Only played DS3 once. Planning to do a replay when the last DLC is released.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Pontiff, indeed. I’m ashamed to say I summoned not one but two soulbros (1 NPC and one Hooman) and yeah it was easy then. As above I’ve done every other boss so far 1 on 1 but I (think) have explored every other route to their conclusion so rather than try a 20th time, yeah, i caved and asked for help

• Snowskeeper says:

If it makes you feel better, bosses get more health and (I thimk) do more damage for every Phantom you summom.

• Gryz says:

I played DS1 last spring. And DS3 last summer. I skipped DS2 SotFS, because everybody says it’s the worst game in the series. I tried it once, but the keybinds are borked, the first 10 minutes are ugly as hell. You can’t install extra textures and other eyecandy.

Last weekend I decided to give DS2 SotFS another try. I’m quite enjoying it !

• malkav11 says:

Worst game in the series doesn’t equate to bad game, in a series that good.

• Vandelay says:

It feels a bit like a tribute act to a great band; the songs are the same and still great, but something is missing. It is an enjoyable game and does have some very good moments, but it just doesn’t gel as well as either DS1 or 3. I also think that the rather lukewarm reception DS3 received (from myself included,) wouldn’t of happened if it was not for DS2. 3 is so much a sequel to the first game and the middle game only served to make the series’s trademarks become more visible and stale (not to say I didn’t still love DS3, but it was certainly not as exciting a discovery as the first, nor as engrossing as Bloodborne.)

• malkav11 says:

Exactly. It’s still fun but it doesn’t have the spark that the others do.

• fish99 says:

It’s a fine game, and the DLCs are especially good.

8. Horg says:

Path of Exile. Currently recovering from the migraine brought on by reading the change log from the last time I played. It’s like they put another game in their game : | The best change by far has to be moving the game over to DX11 x64, which finally fixed the incurable frame stutter I used to get.

• Horg says:

I take it all back, the best update was adding drop bears.

• Parrilla says:

Haven’t played it since it first properly released. Used to get really bad rubberbanding, if they’ve fixed that it’s probably worth me getting back in to.

• Horg says:

I haven’t had any packet loss or desyncs over the weekend, even at peak time. Looks like GGG polished the net code.

9. DaceX says:

After doing the Isaac dailies (Yeesh I botched the one today) pretty much always back to Darkest Dungeon. The Radiant-update finally got me into the game, recently started a regular run, because I kinda enjoy the grind and the more strategic use of your guys, the slower pace doesnt bother me. Its actually more of a learning experience this way, trying out more comps in a more stressfree enviroment. Dunno if I´ll keep that outlook once I reach endgame, but so far, its a nice distraction from real life.

10. Captain Narol says:

When the World Stopped Making Sense !

A great Mod for CKII that starts in 476 with the barbarian invasions and adds some pagan religions (druidism, hellenism,etc…).

Will I try to save the remnants of the Western Roman Empire, build an unified celtic kingdom kicking the saxons out of britain or unleash the hunnic hordes all over the map, I haven’t decided yet…

11. Cruxion says:

With the lull in new game releases, I’m clearing out my old Steam backlog. Recently finished Dishonored 2, Talos Principle, Assassin Creed Syndicate, and a few smaller indie games.

Next up is finally finishing up GTA V and then the full Hitman.

12. lglethal says:

Playing entertaining the In Laws for the weekend. The difficulty level is pretty extreme, but the rewards (in Brownie Points from the missus) are well worth it! :P

And when they finally leave, probably some Total Warhammer… :)

13. NathanH says:

Probably going to explore some of the Freedom Bundle games a bit this weekend. Got a multiplayer session of Baldur’s Gate planned for this afternoon. Possibly some Sanctus Reach.

In board games, Eldritch Horror and One Deck Dungeon, maybe with a solo game of LOTR LCG if I can squeeze it in.

14. Vandelay says:

So, I’m trying to go over my Steam games and actually play all ~360 of them. Alphabetical seemed the logical order. Last weekend I played the lovely Abzu. Next up is the oldie Age of Empires 2: HD Edition.

I actually have never played AOE2 and had only put about an hour into this re-release before. I have played a fair bit of Age of Mythology though and quite a lot of the AoE/Civ mash up Rise of Nations. It will be interesting to go back to this classic interpretation of that style, which I assume will have a much narrower focus.

15. KinichAjaw says:

Finally have a copy of Endless Legend. I know I’m really late to that, but it’s such a deep game and I already adore it.
    Perhaps Dead Island Definitive with some friends.
    Failing that I’ve gone back to XCOM Enemy Within to prepare for a Long War game.

Also, a long session of a difficult game called “working with my son on projects”, which is turn based strategy and only slightly less difficult than the aforementioned.

• vahnn says:

EL is so very, very good. Did you manage to pick up any expansions? They really flesh out the game and add quite a bit to do! If you had to pick only one, I’d say Shifters is best. The Altar of Auriga allows you to alter the effects of winter which is especially nice in longer games, since winter eventually becomes infinite. Roaming and gathering the pearls used to fuel the Altar provides a nice distraction during the times when there’s not much else to do.

Guardians is right behind it. The humongous Guardian units are a sight to behold, and a badass force on the battlefield.

• Rainshine says:

Is the EL diplomacy any good? I’ve tried a couple starts to the game — the first one just kindof learning the system, finding that some other faction was getting 90% of the age goals, so I restarted. Second time around, feeling better, but both games I ‘met’ another faction the first turn — got a message that I met them, but never saw or encountered them. Second game we signed a peace/friendship treaty for a little while, then all of a sudden they declare war, and show up with size six armies with each unit having 250+ hp, which would easily beat my standing veteran forces, even if they were near. I’m at a bit of a loss as to how I should protect myself next game, as I anticipate my couple cities being demolished quickly. I never found any other civs in all my wanderings, and while I had a couple units in each city as garrisons, I don’t know how much is appropriate for EL either.

• magogjack says:

You need to go to the screen where it shows all the factions you have contact with. If you scroll over it will show you all the things effecting your relationship. You may have been allied with them but if you were close by them, for example, That could convince them to attack you regardless of standing.

16. TheAngriestHobo says:

Let’s see. I picked up FFX and FFX-2 on sale, and I’ve been tickling my nostalgia bone by giving those another whirl. I also have a Stellaris game on the go in which I’m desperately trying to rally a small group of materialist factions to confront some spiritualist hegemons that are dominating the galactic center. And lastly, my friend and I recently wiped our Empyrion server and started fresh, so I may join up with him at some point to work on our new base.

Sci-fi sure is great, ain’t it?

17. caff says:

I finished Resident Evil 7 this past week. I found it excellent – it rather reminded me of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and Clive Barker’s Undying. It could have done with a little more variation in the enemies but it was still brilliant fun.

Now I’m playing “Wuppo”, a delightful platformer adventure on special offer on Steam. There are no negative reviews and I can see why – it’s a wonderful world of characters, monsters, and is great fun to play. I really recommend it. I think John would love it.

Later on I have “Hidden Folks” to play which also looks great, John’s review has me excited.

• phanatic62 says:

Hidden Folks is great. I’ve been seriously enjoying it. And of course going for 100%. I see no other point in a game like this.

• Unsheep says:

I agree, the characters and level design in RE7 are really impressive, but like you say it could have needed some more variety in the enemy-types.

Iamblichos says:

Playing Stardew Valley. What a weird, weird game. It all seems so aggressively normal, and then everything goes off the rails… I am now suspecting the townsfolk of being insects in human suits. It’s basically a game about building a farm in Twin Peaks.

Swordfishtrombone says:

I wanted to play Stardew Valley anyway, but reading your comment has really clinched it for me. That’s it: downloading tonight.

19. Czrly says:

I’m playing “Build a Vulcan foundation in C++” with the view to learning Vulcan. At the moment, I am busy rewriting the first three days of work after deciding that the official C++ wrappers are pants and reinforcing my belief that C programmers should stick to C, once again. (I’ll wrap your C API myself, thank you very much, and with deterministic destruction and move-semantics and wot-not! Done properly, you idiots.)

After three days of work, I have a render surface cleared to the colour white.

I have a problems where I have to know EVERYTHING about every method I call – at least when there are no external deadlines. Sigh.

20. Marblecake says:

With Kitsunin here. I doubt I’ll be playing anything *except* For Honor for the foreseeable future. It’s just too good. Duels in particular. Wonderful game. Tons of issues, but the game itself, the actual playing of it, is sublime.

21. NetharSpinos says:

Still Rimworld, still Deathiwng, still Atlas Reactor. Sigh.

Next week I will buy something new. Or somethings.

I should really just reinstall games and play through them again, but…

• clonex10100 says:

You should look at the humble freedom bundle. May help you spice up your library.

22. Themadcow says:

Impossible Creatures with my son, because what isn’t awesome about building an unstoppable army of lobster hybrids?

23. Pharaoh Nanjulian says:

Borderlands with friends.

The creatures of Pandora strengthen.

• AutonomyLost says:

One of my fondest game memories was tackling an entire campaign of the original Borderlands with a buddy of mine. Awesome fun. Good call on that one.

24. Bobtree says:

Battleborn Day II is today: link to reddit.com

25. AndrewC says:

Horror or comedy podcasts?

I really like Point Mystic and Spines. And The Lost Cat Podcast, which, umm, I write. It is obviously the best and everyone should listen to it. Ta!

• Vandelay says:

I expect Adam has already heard these, as I heard them both from recommendations by Pip, but Limetown and The Signal are both really good horror edged podcasts. Both are rather subtle in their horror, which work well in the format. I would say their endings are perhaps a tad disappointing, but they were very enjoyable accompaniments to my daily commute.

26. scottossington says:

Saints row 4 because there is nothing better than running around a simulation at high speed and pounding villains into meat mist.

27. Ben King says:

Duskers and No Man’s Sky. I SUSPECT long bouts of NMS are killing my brain cells because when I return to Duskers I seem to be getting total robo party kills at the hands of squirmy slimes over and over before rage-quitting. Wandering around taking screen caps seems a decent balance to intense bouts of logic puzzle head scratching. Also although I am a 35 yo man I have been steadily working my way through “Ronja the Robber’s Daughter” on tv but it is clearly a show aimed at the 3-8 yo age group. But it’s adorable.

• Unsheep says:

The author who wrote the original Ronja story was an author of children’s books, so I can imagine it’s aimed at a younger age-group. Although most of Studio Ghibli’s work do so in my opinion, which I don’t mean in a negative sense.

28. malkav11 says:

Going to see if I can’t finally polish off Dragon Age Inquisition’s Trespasser DLC. I got through what looks to be all but one area of it last night but then I hit a pretty rough fight followed immediately by a dragon battle and it won’t let me save in between and although I am okay with repeating one of the two fights at a time due to difficulty I am -not- okay with having to repeat both every time. I ragequit after the second time. Then I realized “oh hey, I’m playing on hard (because it wasn’t hard, in the base game), and there’s no difficulty-based achievements for Trespasser, just the main campaign which I already beat. So there’s no reason I couldn’t turn it down to easy, at least for this badly designed bit.” So I’m going to try that and if it isn’t enough, I am just not going to finish it, I expect.

Other agenda items include checking out Telltale’s Batman series (picked up last week but not actually played after all), knocking out another Slayaway Camp movie or two (I’m getting a little tired of the aesthetic, which doesn’t actually feel all that much like a slasher flick, but it’s a solid puzzler), and working up my Vennen Ranger in Hex: Shards of Fate to have a solid dungeon farmer ready for the postponed Valentine’s-related holiday event.

Oh, and on Monday, conceivably a whole day of Gloomhaven. Can’t wait.

• welverin says:

I played through DA:I all the way through on easy and don’t recall having any issues, so if you played most of it on Hard that fight should be a cake walk for you on a lower difficulty.

• malkav11 says:

It was. Also the save thing was apparently a glitch because when I went back I managed to save just fine between the two encounters. Go figure. Probably just as well I dropped it down, though. That last boss fight would have been real rough.

It was actually more fun on easy overall, I think. Inquisition’s combat isn’t very tactical or nuanced so being able to make everything explode spectacularly in a running battle sort of way is more entertaining than having to keep your distance and mill through a few thousand extra HP. But since it wasn’t actually stopping me completing fights it wasn’t something I thought to adjust.

• Sorbicol says:

I played through the GOTY edition of DA:I last year with all the DLC. Despite horrifically overpowering myself by doing The Decent DLC early (I was about level 8 at the time), which meant I was cakewalking the base game afterwards (I killed my first dragon straight afterwards in less than 5 minutes on hard, and the Corypheus fight took less than 3) I still couldn’t finish the final battle in Tresspassers on Hard. After 4 attempts I had to dial it down to normal.

29. Yukiomo says:

Teleglitch. Always Teleglitch.

30. Snowskeeper says:

Red Haze.

31. LennyLeonardo says:

Dear Adam, I’m sure you’re already au fait with Cecil, but if not, listen to Welcome to Night Vale. Please. I also recommend The Comedy Bang Bang podcast for humour only.

32. The Bitcher III says:

As I have awful lag in Assetto Corsa, I’ll do a Project Cars race in a bit, just against the AI. Going to push it to 25 laps @ 95% AI strength, aim to finish top 4.

Then try and ‘be done’ with The Witness. Goddammit. 500 puzzles plus in. Just end. I’m honestly getting more out of reorganising my games collection and Tileiconifying the results into a wall of wierdness and wonder… picking up a bit of GIMPology along the way.

Observation: 90% of single player indie games are on the aqua -> purple axis.

Most looking forward to Broken Age……depending on how twisted I feel it’s either that or the wierd and wonderful looking Oikospiel, which has already charmed my wallet out of my pocket by offering to pay for the tickets, with a winning combination of quirkiness and grace. Either way, I think I’m smitten. Good dog! Love at first bite.

Also going to do Moire’s No Future, whatever that entails. It’s a companion piece to an album by an electronic artist I don’t really like that much but…. it’s multimedia, and I keep hearing that’s quite the ‘thing’.

And maybe some scripting/coding challenges. I think this post counts as one.

• Jac says:

I went in completely blind to broken age last year and thought it was fantastic barring one ridiculous puzzle solution in the second half that made me resort to a guide.

33. vahnn says:

I was going to play another 20 hours of For Honor, but I purchased Kathy Rain on Steam app and will install and play that a bit, too, when I get home from work travels.

34. Lars Westergren says:

I’m thoroughly hooked on Darkest Dungeon.

35. Shazbut says:

Late to the party but I’m playing Devil Daggers. Can’t quite break 200 seconds. I feel like I need to stand still to kill the first centipede and there’s only a split second where that’s possible.

particlese says:

Just in case you haven’t noticed (this advice once helped me), the centipede will burrow when you go under it. If you can keep up with the baddies up to that point, kill the spider which spawns with the centipede, run under the latter’s head as soon as you can, and then stand and shoot to your heart’s content. (Also, start shooting under its chin as you run into position since the head sometimes keeps the first crystal safe, otherwise.) If they spawn on opposing sides from each other, you can even reverse that order, though it’s riskier.

A corollary: Avoid running under the centipede until you’re ready for it so it doesn’t waste your precious time burrowing.

36. Zenicetus says:

I finally finished Witcher 3 Blood and Wine expansion this week, putting Geralt to bed for the last time. With the lovely Yennifer, as it turned out. What a tremendously good series that was.

I’m in the mood now to decompress with a strategy game, but I’m kinda burned out on Stellaris until the new big expansion hits. Maybe I’ll re-install Total War Attila, since I didn’t give it much of a chance the first time around. It’s not a period of history I especially like, but maybe I can get into it.

• dogwaddle says:

I proclaim that you have good tastes. My two most played games this past year are Total War series and Witcher 3. What about the Attila time period has you turned off? Could it be it is just not as interesting because you don’t know as much about the time period? What time period of the series is your favorite and have you tried Charlemagne?

particlese says:

This weekend is for skiing, but I’ve taken Monday off “to recover”. I told my boss Monday is actually for playing Devil Daggers, and he was well amused. I will probably be playing Devil Daggers on Monday.

38. fish99 says:

I should probably play something, but I’m going through a reading phase and no games have grabbed me recently.

Having finished LotR (for about the 8th time) last week I’ve gone back to a series I first read in the 1980s, Dragonlance Chronicles. The first hundred pages were so bad that I almost stopped, but at some point it started to get a lot better as the writers found their flow and confidence. It remains badly written, derivative and trashy, but it’s entertaining all the same.

I do want to play Twilight Princess HD before BotW hits.

• Minglefingler says:

Oddly enough something made me think about Dragonlance a few weeks ago and I came to the conclusion that I would hate the books if I tried to read them again. As for other books I read years ago, I’m still toying with the idea of giving Magician another read, though I hope I’m not disappointed if I do. Still, there’s no chance of that happening until I finish the sixth Expanse novel, and then one of the increasingly small list of Iain M. Banks books that I’ve yet to read.

• fish99 says:

Magician is definitely a cut above Dragonlance, and I believe Feist did a rewrite to improve it. If you’ve never read them the other Riftwar trilogy books are also very good.

By the end of first DL Chronicles book, I was genuinely enjoying it though and I’m going to read the other five (inc Legends). As I remember the Legends series is significantly better.

• floogles says:

Wow, yeah I’d love to read these again but am scared about the terrible writing. Skins like it’s worth it.

Horseclans and Amtrack Wars are also on the list to read from this era.

• welverin says:

“I do want to play Twilight Princess HD before BotW hits.”

You’d better get started, BotW comes out next month!

particlese says:

I was going to jokingly recommend the RPS podcast/shotcast/sexcast (the link’s from this very page), but I was instead greeted by a 404 and its delightful background image. Very appropriate with the recent Hidden Folks release.

Swordfishtrombone says:

Apart from Stardew Valley as mentioned above, I will no doubt be trudging through Lothric Castle in Dark Souls 3, repeatedly getting killed by those b******s with enormous lighting-infused swords and/or the b******s with firebombs. Then I will become irritated and switch from my claymore-wielding knight to my flimsy little bandit knife-wielding thief, before getting punished a bit in the Undead Burg by those b******s with the hacksaws and/or pots. Then I will despair and switch back to my claymore-wielding knight, before attempting to attack enemies as though I was using the bandit knife and forgetting about the substantial swing delay of the claymore. I will then die. Repeatedly. And yet I will doubtless keep trying. I have honestly never encountered a series that I hate/love more than Dark Souls.

Swordfishtrombone says:

Oops, muddling my Souls. I meant the Undead Settlement of course.

• fish99 says:

Love/hate is right. Bloodborne is one my favourite games ever, but I’m willing to admit that I spent a lot of my play time swearing profusely at the game, feeling utterly miserable and wanting to hurt everyone involved in making it. Dark Souls (1) was the same, especially first playthrough.

I actually deleted my character in Dark Soul 3 twice before twice starting again and eventually finishing it. Same with Bloodborne actually.

I’ve broken 2 headsets and 2 gamepads playing these games.

41. Severian says:

Renowned Explorers and loving it. A campaign of 5 expeditions takes up just the right amount of time, and there’s a great pace and rhythm to the expedition -> shopping -> expedition routine. Now that I’ve finally grokked the “battle/emotion” system, I’m finding it easier to break the 3000 renown barrier.

• caff says:

Great little game. I never played it seriously – I played on the easiest mode, but it just felt right to me, it gave me the chance to discover.

42. Minglefingler says:

I should finish Resident Evil 7 this weekend, then I may dabble in Hitman, possibly some Tales of Berseria or Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines which I bought today in a sale. Been holding off on buying that one for a long time now as I’m afraid I won’t be able to see past the jankiness I’ve read about. I have installed the patch though.

• caff says:

The jankiness of Bloodlines isn’t that bad – go with it, play it like a proper RPG, and you’ll love it. Just keep several save games active so if something goes wrong you can rollback to a decent save.

• Minglefingler says:

Cheers, I did give it a go yesterday and I needn’t have been concerned and all, it’s fantastic. I was trying to play a relatively decent vampire but that man ranting and raving about the apocalypse near the diner in Santa Monica had to die.

43. Rainshine says:

Sunless Sea. Maybe a little Dragon Age Origins, haven’t even booted it this week. But Sunless Sea. I’m still trying to figure out my playing of it; I’m vaguely enjoying it and vaguely hating it, which is strange. I’m not sure at all what I’m even trying to do, and shortly after last week’s Playing post, where I hadn’t died, I thought I had outrun this big Mountain which promptly one-shot me anyways. I made the mistake of taking the chart for my next character, which means I get no fragments/xp, making life harder. I do feel I’m learning things though, my next captain has a child, a bigger house, and a bigger boat with a big gun. And terrible skills, because of the no exploring bonuses thing.

And multiple dances this week, including one on Peratrovich Day :)

• dogwaddle says:

I also have a love/hate relationship with Sunless Sea. I don’t particularly like the repetitive resource/trading games but for some reason Sunless Sea accessed that part of my brain and compelled me to keep playing just to get more money and better ships.

• Rainshine says:

The trading margins are terrible, and Sunless Sea as a whole is pretty opaque. Combat for me devolves into mindlessly circling behind a ship, or running frantically from the hummingbirds they call monsters.
        But I still keep playing, and mostly enjoying myself (although having four events come up in under a minute that each took 1 crew, no other options, did cause me to just quit back to the last port). The aura about it is fun, the officers amusing, and every time I pull back into London at 96 terror, no fuel, and one supply but a dozen reports and other miscellany to profit by makes me grin.

44. welverin says:

Assassin’s Creed Unity, after finishing Rogue earlier in the week. It’s the last one I need to play to be caught up, I’ve been trying to ignore the fluff in order to get through them faster and without burning out again.

Also some SF5 for the weekly missions. I could also get sucked into Destiny if my brother and nephew want help with something.

45. skeletortoise says:

If you’re looking for a funny podcast, I’d go with My Brother, My Brother and Me. I can imagine it might not click with some people, but if it does, wow. It is my humor kryptonite, having gone thorough about a year’s worth in a month. I’d recommend starting with The Ballad of Tit Liquid or Who Vapes.

46. clonex10100 says:

I’m going to look through all of the games i got in the freedom humble bundle to find which ones are worth playing.

47. Cyrus says:

The Witcher, still. Chapter IV now.

48. magogjack says:

I know wrestling is popular among some of you (can not remember if you are one of them), in which case I would say check out ‘the Lapsed fan’.

Also ‘The Dollop’ for homour/tears/history.

49. Unsheep says:

Some more of Master or Orion (2016), probably my favourite strategy game from 2016. If not my favourite non-racing game from 2016.

Some more Gran Turismo 6, in anticipation of finally getting Gran Turismo Sport this year. I can’t wait to see what they have spent all these years making.

On the PC, continuing my racing careers in Automobilista, rFactor 2, MotoGP 16, WRC 6, MXGP 2, F1 2015 and Ride 2.

Now that Ecclestone’s greedy dictatorship is finaly over, I’m eager to see what Codemasters can do with the F1 license.

Thulsa Hex says:

After finally finishing the main game last night, I’m probably going to hit the Trespasser DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition. I don’t know how long it is, but I’m hoping to be done with it all this weekend.

While I have enjoyed chunks of DA:I, I almost abandoned it numerous times during the campaign. The article on RPS last month, “Why do we spend time playing games we don’t like?” (link to rockpapershotgun.com), came to mind more often than I care to admit!

It’s just so damn inconsistent and chock-full of bad (or rushed) design choices. The tactical view is back, but the combat has no real tactics to speak of (save hammering out powers as soon as cooldown timers lapse). The maps are large, but filled with boring, icon-clearing “quests”. The environments can look pretty, but feel oddly superficial and not very alive. The character models are detailed, but badly animated, causing a bizarre animatronic mannekin effect. There’s an elaborate way to import your “world state” from previous games, but most of the more interesting results and characters get little more than a name-drop. The game does try to be ambitious in its systems and story-telling, but it’s so artificially drawn out that both are severely watered-down.

As with most Bioware games, some of the best bits involve chatting to your party between missions—but even this is sloppily-implemented. There are lots of clumsy scene changes, and a very annoying tendnacy to force you to end and re-start conversations when you just want to change topic. Gah.

So yeah, perhaps I should have given up on it tens of hours ago. It’s a shame because, for all it’s flaws, Origins had a lot of heart and I grew quite fond of it. I’d hoped Inquisition could build on that solid foundation. Oh well!

• malkav11 says:

I would say Trespasser is maybe 6-7 hours (having just finished it myself). There’s some pretty cool story beats and environments but it’s surprisingly short for something intended as the final coda to the whole thing. But it’s pretty much all main quest – there’s no logged side quests at all and only a few scattered collectibles in the hub area (which give you stat boosts and can end in a fun item reward but are nonessential) and a few optional puzzles and one-fight-one-chest side areas in terms of non-flagged optional content.

Thulsa Hex says:

Sweet, that puts me about 2/3 of the way through Trespasser. I’m definitely appreciating that it’s mostly just main plot stuff. Perhaps I’ll be putting Inquisition to bed tonight, finally!