Night in the Woods delayedis out now!?!?!?

In a shocking turn of events, the colourful homecoming adventure Night in the Woods [official site] did not get delayed this week, causing it to become available on your PC mere hours ago. This is bad news for me. We’ve had our ‘Night in the Woods has been delayed again’ article ready to go for weeks, based on all the other times it’s been postponed, and now we’ve been totally blind-sided. That’s why this news piece is so late. I’ve had to re-write the whole thing from scratch.

If you’ve been absent for the past nine hundred years, it’s a platform-y adventure about a cat called Mae Borowski returning to her hometown and trying to reconnect with her old pals. But everyone is different. It’s set up as an exploration of that old Wolfeism – you can’t go home again – but with cartoon animals. Oh, and I guess there’s some spooky thing happening in the forest on the outskirts of town too.

Anyway, it’s finally on Steam for twenty United States dollar signs (£14.99 in Queen money) and also on Itch.io for the same price. But stop rushing! John is going to have a review ready for you soon, asking all the right questions: is it adorable and heartfelt story-telling? Or is it try-hard hipster gubbins? You’ll have to come back here to find out.

That’s what we call a hook, loser!

From this site

Lars Westergren says:

Just played 2 hours of it, great so far. Very charming art and music, good writing (examine everything, like in adventure games). Gameplay elements are light, I imagine there are some choice & consequences but don’t know how much yet. Might be linear, might be some different endings. Reminds me a bit of Oxenfree.

• dreadguacamole says:

Oxenfree was also my point of reference, except I actually like the characters in this game.
      The first couple of hours are ridiculously linear – you get a few choices which may end up being important, but they have little impact on the short term. There’s a lot of reactivity (dialog changes according to the stuff you’ve done and seen) but I didn’t notice anything like Oxenfree’s tree-like structure. I’ve just got to the point where you get your first branching choice, and also a chance to explore a bit (found a really neat vignette, complete with a very light puzzle, a fair ways off the beaten path.) So here’s hoping things open up a little.
      Linearity aside, it’s a ridiculously lovely, very well observed bittersweet tale. Can’ wait to get back to it.

2. VN1X says:

I’ve been incredibly hyped for it but put off a bit by the price. €20 is a bit high… well depending on the game’s length that is. Can’t find any reviews though so that’s a bit worrying as well.

Does anyone know how long the game takes to finish?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Apparently about 700 years.

• demicanadian says:

After six hours I’m not near the end. I think that worst case scenario I’m in 2/3 of the game.

• Disgruntled Goat says:

It’s cheaper than tickets for two people to see a movie, lasts at least three times longer, and is better written than just about anything else out there.

I’m about 3 hours in and loving it.

Lars Westergren says:

Between 6-12 according to the creator on Twitter, depending on how much side content you do.

• demicanadian says:

For example there’s a game on Mae’s laptop, that’s a full fledged action flash-game, and takes ~1 hour to finish.

3. Pheeze says:

Finally! I’m loving it so far, the music and dialog are excellent. Glad to have backed it on Kickstarter.

4. caff says:

I think John will love it. I hope so too, because if he loves it, I will too.

5. Roughbuddha says:

preordered christmas eve of 2014. i’m having a good time with it so far. hardest part was finding a good stopping point for the night.

6. Snschl says:

BWUH?!?! How can it just sneak up on me like that?! I’ve been following it since 1943! I guess I forgot the release date, but it sure did release with very little fanfare.

Seeing as I’m apparently senile, I’m going to buy it now. Sorry John. Still looking forward to the review.

7. Monggerel says:

Spec Ops: The Line didn’t faze me for one second but I get a cold sweat just thinking about this game.
    Might have to postpone for a decade or so.

8. Aristotlol says:

Oxenfree’s feelings-y walkathon meets Persona 4’s choose-which-friend-to-hang-out-with-today (plus feelings) in what feels like a beautiful graphic novel turned platformer. The writing is very good, and overall I would say this is an excellent, interesting, and creative game. You should buy it, for the sake of the medium.

Some might gripe that what quasi-puzzles there are seem to be left for trying to get achievements – I don’t think this is a problem, insofar as this “game” is really more of an interactive narrative than a game, and luckily one that’s pretty and charming enough for you to really want to interact with it.

The only real complaint I have is that the denouement is quite a let down. However, I’m left with a strong feeling that there are things left I haven’t seen, and that these could contribute to a fuller appreciation of the ending, which on the my first playthrough seems a little rushed and underdeveloped. So ultimately I’m left wanting to replay it, which isn’t a bad thing at all – whether or not, or to what extent, replays are worthwhile, I am not yet in a position to comment on.

9. BlockHeadGaming says:

We just started this game and from what I can see it’s amazing. The art is very well done and the story is very relatable to people in their mid to late 20’s. The “game” itself is more puzzle and story driven but overall it is a good time. You can watch our gameplay walkthrough below (With voice acting) if you want to watch some gameplay before you buy it.

10. Sugarcat says:

This is gonna be a fun playthrough for sure, love these weird and wacky games! The art style is incredible as well, it really draws you in.

11. Marclev says:

Trying to work out what genre this actually is before buying, it’s not very clear and the reviews on steam / this article don’t help much.

When you say “platform-y adventure”, does that mean there are puzzles to solve to advance between the platforms and enemies on those platforms to jump on the heads of / shoot / knock out / whatever?

Or is it more a “walking and talking simulator” game without any action and puzzles? Or more of a visual novel where you don’t really do anything at all apart from pressing buttons to progress the story?

tl;dr what sort of gameplay does this game have?