Let’s Prey: the second part of our video playthrough

Here’s the second and final part of my hour-long narrated playthrough of Bethesda and Arkane’s upcoming shooter-me-do, Prey [official site]. N.B. Contains spoilers for the opening hour of the game, but nothing beyond that.

Afraid I had a number tech issues with this one, hence both the delay in posting, the slightly more lugubrious tone and some sync issues towards the end. I’ll do better next time, boss, but didn’t want to burn more time trying to get this one super-sparkly. If you missed it, the first part’s here, the commentary-free full hour is here, and written thoughts are here.

Many things are revealed, but many mysteries yet remain. I look forwards to collapsing into a mess of paranoia once the full game’s released on May 5.

From this site

1. Merry says:

Great stuff Alec; thank you. I think you did remarkably well for a first video. You sound so nice!

I’d prefer to be able to hear the game better. It’s good that it’s fainter than your voiceover, but the volume is so low that it’s unintelligible.

I also don’t like the midstream advertisements. It’s clearly up to RPS how you monetise your publications, but the more common pattern of a single message before the main item is much easier to stomach.

Other than that, I think you have done a superb job. I think it’s just Adam who we are still to enjoy in video form?

2. NetharSpinos says:

I mean, really I’m just watching these to build up profiles on the RPS staff for the shrine in my bathroom. None of you sound anything like what I imagined!

Excellent video, though. Very relaxing commentary. I hadn’t given Prey much thought previously, but I may look into acquiring it at a later date. I look forward to any future RPS vids!

3. BlueB says:

I feel like that was a missed opportunity to use ‘preythrough’ in the title, or is that racist?

4. Jaykera says:

Has “preyview” been used at some point ? Just asking.

5. Lacessit says:

I rrrrrealy like your commenter style Alec. I know you are primarily a writer, but can we please get some more of this, you doing some relaxed playthrough? The last one before this was years ago…

6. Michael Fogg says:

So Prey shapes up to be a solid, if a bit workmanlike, development of the ideas of Half Life and System Shock 2. Definitely interesting. And Alec, speak up!

• Vandelay says:

That might be true, but I am liking the look of it the more I find out that it is just an extension of those ideas. The FPS has abandoned the influences from those games so much that returning to them is very welcome to me. Bioshock is pretty much the only game that has tried to do something similar and, judging by Dishonoured, I reckon Arkane are likely to be able to have a better stab at it.

• Einsammler says:

“Solid” is well above System Shock’s general design, so I am alright with this.

7. hairrorist says:

Yeah why so much coverage of this? It looks like Bioshock recycled… again.

heretic says:

Nice video Alec, hadn’t really followed Prey but this is intriguing :)

Comment on this story