Steep adds Alaska in free update today

I have written a topical joke:

A: Which region is Ianthe Ubisoft adding to Steep [official site] in a free update today?
B: I’ll ask her.
A: Don’t worry, Alaska myself.

While B did not know, the answer is: Alaska. The open-world snowsports ’em up today adds a chunk of virtual Alaska which Ubisoft say is about the size of its Alps region – doubling the snowspace. Nice. Have a look in this trailer:

Goodness me, some of those mountains look brutal.

Here’s what Ubisoft say to expect:

“Travel from the Alps to the other side of the world where you’ll experience an array of environments, from glistening seas and plunging cliffs to lumberyards and seaside towns.

“With as many kilometers/miles to explore and ride as the Alps, the Steep Alaska update includes 21 new Challenges, 2 Invitationals and 1 Mountain Story that immerses you in the lore of the highest peak in North America, Mount Denali.”

Today’s update also raises the level cap from 25 to 30, adds American cosmetic clobber, pops in new challenges, fixes bugs, and more. Check the patch notes for the lot.

That all sounds and looks nice but Wot Brendan Thought is that Steep’s real problem was controls, not content. If you’ve been snowing yourself, what have you made of it?

1. caff says:

5 stars for the joke, bought a big grin for me.

• Stugle says:

I was initially wondering why ‘Ian’ was misspelled, but now I realize my ignorance. Excellent work.

2. davebo says:

The beta really didn’t impress me, but after snowboarding trips to Vermont and Colorado and zero fresh powder, I might cave if it goes on sale.

• Sketchkov says:

I feel much the same. Love snowboarding in the real life, but found the beta a bit lacking. If it goes down to about $20 or so I’d have a punt.

• PancakeWizard says:

My brother is into snowboarding and loves this game. He enjoys the free-form nature of it and finding his own runs.

3. Untitled says:

One steep fan was reported as saying they’re “looking forward to picking and choosing between various sports on the new mountains, A-las-carte.”

4. Rainshine says:

While I’m glad to see they used a variation of the local name for it, it’s just straight Denali. We don’t put a Mount before or Mountain after. I did just learn that it apparently appeared that way in official government documents/mapping stuff, so that’s probably where the devs got it.

• TraquilloGato says:

This is definitely an “Alaska’s Greatest Hits” what with some kind of inhabited Kennicott-like village on the side of the Alaska Range which somehow sits above Prince William Sound. I like to think that this mythical place can just be called Mount Denali.

5. derExperte says:

My favorite commercial failure of 2016. And if you had problems with the controls, they patched them up, much easier to do tricks now and the support in general has been fantastic so far.

6. grimdanfango says:

Hmm, could’ve used a slightly less insipidly nasal cover of Teardrop.