Explore and colonise space in Genesis Alpha One

Goodness me, Genesis Alpha One [official site] is trying to do a lot. Let’s checklist this:

☑ Space exploration
☑ Building spaceships
☑ Mining
☑ Farming
☑ Gene-splicing and cloning your crew
☑ Fighting alien infestations

Off players go, across the stars, trying to survive long enough to settle new worlds as human-alien hybrids. A roguelikelike survival crafting basebuilding first-person shooter space sim. Have a peek in this trailer:

Whew! That is a lot. So, the story is that Earth is dying because we’re a shower of bastards, so off you go captaining a ‘Genesis’ spaceship into the great unknown. You get to build and expand your own huge spaceship, snapping together modules from greenhouses and workshops to hangars and guard posts. Sooner or later, you’ll discover alien life, and that gets interesting.

When your ship gets infested, grab your guns and blast ’em back. But aliens are also a resource. Their bodies are suited to different environments, see, and through clone bays we’ll get to splice bits of alien into our clonecrew, gaining new abilities and, hopefully, becoming suited to a new home out there somewhere in the stars.

All of which sounds… Dungeon Keeper in space with guns and genetics? In a procedurally generated world. The marketing blurb says:

“Every journey in Genesis Alpha One begins with a huge, randomised galaxy filled with adventure and peril. Discover new planets, encounter asteroid fields, sun storms, rogue commanders and deadly cosmic spores as you explore the vastness of space. You’ll come across the wrecks of ships that have been lost to the void, and off-ship expeditions will take you to the surface of alien planets to harvest their resources.”

I believe it’s singleplayer.

This all sounds hugely ambitious and ambition can lead to wonkiness but hey, I’ll certain welcome wild ambition.

Genesis Alpha One is made by Radiation Blue and published by Team17. No word yet on when it’ll launch.

From this site

1. One Million Monkeys says:

“Humankind’s last chance to save our species”
    Followed by guys wearing guns inside their sanctuarys greenhouse. You wonder why.

• aldo_14 says:

The SECRET TWIST is that humanity is perfectly fine and this was the best way to get rid of all the Telephone Sanitizers, Accountants and Management Consultants.

• SigmaCAT says:

Come to think of it this particular ship would be a neat setting for a point & click game… You’d be playing as a poor mechanic, stranded by accident on this ark of intellectual despair

• Blackcompany says:

But one these brave intellectual giants establish their colony, all of their lesser peers will follow. Right behind them. Sure.

They promise.

2. mitthrawnuruodo says:

[Sigh] Not another one of these space time-waste simulators. Try something new, dear developers.

Don Reba says:

Instinctively clicked some of the boxes to untick them, but alas.

4. Chem says:

Please don’t be another multiplayer survival game. I’m growing so tired of great ideas being shoved into sociopath simulators.

• karnak says:

Hear hear!

I’m still crying because of “Conan Exiles”.
      They could have made a sort of “Hyborian Mount & Blade”, with an optional multiplayer campaign.
      But no… they had to make another generic MMO Minecraft in R.E. Howard’s universe.

What a waste of intelectual property and resources :(

• Blackcompany says:

I never thought I would laugh at a game’s failure. And I will still feel sorry for the rank and file employees working on this when – not if, WHEN – it goes belly up.

But its still going to be hilarious, in a way. I mean…how could anyone, from the newest programmer or artist to the CEO, NOT see this failure coming?

johannsebastianbach says:

Sooooooo … No Man’s Sky 2? Bound to be a success!

• grimdanfango says:

Even in the somewhat rough state it appears to be in this trailer, it already looks like it has far more substance than NMS ever had.

I really was never sure why the gaming community got so hyped up about NMS… every trailer I ever saw looked devoid of purpose, bland and generic.

Still, I’ll wait and see how this turns out. It looks like it has major potential, but clearly needs some polish too.

Alpha1Dash1 says:

As I read this my inner cynic & inner child are having a massive battle – the cynic is shouting things like “remember NMS & sacred3 you idiot!” while the child is shouting back “Dungeon Keeper! Randomized Space Galaxy! Space wrecks! Monsters!”.

So far the inner child is winning…

7. nickclarkson says:

I’m getting a Silent Running vibe from that trailer. And the “pod” thing with the human inside sort of reminded me of the original Syndicate intro…or am I mistaken? /me Googles…

Edit: Ok, my bad…I’m getting old…it’s nothing liike the Leonardo Device in Syndicate: link to youtu.be

But…it is very much Silent Running: link to youtube.com

8. KayAU says:

Might be a good game, but I honestly would have been more excited if they dropped the FPS bit. For one thing, I am generally a bit worried when games try to do too many things, and secondly it just seems odd to mix management/strategy with FPS. Anyway, I’ll be looking out for this one.

9. Scelous says:

Uh huh. I’ll check it out when it comes out from Early Access six years from now with half the game features promised.

10. -Spooky- says:

What next? Holograms and Freedom? *Yep! Voyager much*

11. Drutski says:

I really thought we were past all this bloom.

12. racccoon says:

One, I love the check list..good idea for the speed readers. Two, this is looking like a real down to earth game. Three, Team 17 devs a very old school dev team whom have a great reputation to the way back days for the Amiga! This game on that merit should go to plan, as its looks as if the games pattern set on the way we are now in tech. On earth, our main problem is, we are all so badly divided, we need to use all our knowledge united together to complete just what this game shows! I think we really don’t need people as powerful a position as a man called trump, who are so dead set on a path of isolation, rather than being open with friendship. this game looks like its heading in the right direction.

syllopsium says:

Well, they’ve definitely been watching 2001 and Aliens. Liking the gun turrets. Need to see more, but it’s promising so far, and Team 17 have an excellent record