Old Time Hockey brings blood to the ice next month

Of all the sports simulations, hockey is the one that makes me think, “god, remember when hockey games used to be fun?” I haven’t played one for ages, so for all I know EA’s NHL series has more excitement than you can shake a not-so-jolly stick at, but it’s the speedy, punchy games of old that my mind conjures up when I think about hockey. Games like Old Time Hockey [official site], which isn’t actually old at all. It’s so not-old in fact that it isn’t even released until March 28th. It looks great, as you can see below.

Now that we’ve established that Old Time Hockey is in fact a future game, let’s figure out where that ‘old time’ moniker comes from. It’s the style of game, isn’t it, all that Megadrive era arcade-y style sticks, pucks and punch-ups? There’s that, but the bush league antics of the teams also looks determinedly old-fashioned. No glossy sponsorships here, just aggression and winning by any means possible.

“Experience hockey the way it was meant to be played in this old school arcade style hockey game where blood on the ice is just another day at the rink. 70s afros, big moustaches, no helmets, dirty hits, bench-clearing brawls, goalie fights, stick fights, ref abuse and locker room language – that’s Old Time Hockey. Players in this league live by one simple rule – Never look at the puck, just take the body. Timely hits are crucial in this dangerous sport where getting on fire is the difference between winning and losing.”

And look at this list of teams:

Schuylkill Hinto Brews – Pottsville, PA
Fort Edward Bluenosers – Windsor, NS
Long Island Rumrunners – Commack, NY
Quebec Voyous – Beauce, QC
Charlestown Stonemasons – Charlestown, MA
Warroad Ice Anglers – Warroad, MN
Cascadia Timber Cats – Seattle, WA
Portage Lake Widowmakers – Houghton, MI
Moose Jaw Farmhands – Moose Jaw, SK
Cobalt Silvers – Cobalt, ON

I can’t decide if I want to take charge of the Warroad Ice Anglers or the Moose Jaw Farmhands. Either way, there’s a league mode as well as multiplayer, and even a story mode.

From this site

1. 3man says:

I’ll buy this, but only if I can play as Reggie Dunlop

• michael.neirinckx says:

Based on the description I read, the comic book style onomatopoeia and the net turning red have got to go. The comic flash seems out of place, especially when there’s so much room for other types of humor and nudges and winks considering the concept.

• 3man says:

Have you ever actually seen the movie?

I last saw it when I was about 16, it was funny then in a quite bleak way. Maybe not not now.

You are also aware that slapshot is a hockey term? Whether or not it belongs in a comic book it captured the spirit of the movie quite well. The strip tease at the end was a bit jarring though, I’ll give you that.

2. wodin says:

Like it

3. DonC says:

OKAY NOW THIS HERE IS HOW YA DO IT. KIDS, THIS IS REAL OLD-TIME HOCKEY, AND IF YA WANT TA DEVELOP HOCKEY VIDEO GAMES THIS IS HOW YA DO IT. YA GOTTA KNOW WHEN TO LAY ‘EM OUT AND BOY LEMME TELL YA THIS GAME SURE DOES. DO WE HAVE THE CLIP? OK, PLAY THE CLIP AND LOOK AT THIS, KIDS. THIS IS GREAT STUFF AND HOW THE GAME OUGHTA BE PLAYED. LET’S GO!

4. Flarn says:

YOU KNOW IT EH? A LITTLE CHIN MUSIC AND IT’S KATIE BAR THE DOOR!

5. DeusVult says:

This looks fun

6. Amstrad says:

The Slapshot tie-in that never was.

7. pseudoart says:

Fucking Machine took my Quarter! Looks fun, but I suspect the checking sound (“uh”) will wear thin reeeeeal soon.

Comment on this story