What are we all playing this weekend?

As we say in the industry: “games on!” The Game Developers Conference is next week, and always brings a few good surprises, retrospectives, and just plain interesting looks at the craft of making games. We’ve sent Pip and Adam out to chase developers down corridors, snapping them with unflattering flashes, and yelling invasive questions. I normally go myself, with The Wild Rumpus rather than RPS (look for the Mild Rumpus if you’re going!), but this year am stuck here with your rabble. We may as well try to get on. Tell me: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: No PC games for me this weekend. I’m flying to San Francisco on Saturday for GDC and wandering the city on Sunday. I’ll be wishing I could play Football Manager on the flight, or that the new edition of Out of the Park Baseball were already out. But no – I’ll be reading and listening to podcasts. Thanks to people who recommended podcasts last weekend, including The Lost Cat, which awaits my attention!
Alec: It’s my birthday on sunday, a fact I am going to avoid by sneaking out the house before anyone else wakes up and catching the first train to anywhere with lots of trees. I will then play the Sitting On A Bench And Sighing game for eight hours.
Alice: I’d like to get my Isaac daily runs in, play Night in the Woods, maybe check out the Ghost Recon Wildlands open beta, and sleep for 56 hours straight. Something’s got to give. Handily, I recently signed up for Shudder (Netflix for horror movies) and, while Cara is away, I keep watching scary things late at night in the dark of this old, cold flat of ours. So long, sleep!
Brendan: I’ll be berserking my way to the nearest spike pit in For Honor, most likely. Then quitting the game in frustration after the tenth random disconnect. Night in the Woods might be a good remedy for all the warring I’ve been doing lately in this broken headstomper. However, it’s currently roasting in my part of the earth and it’s possible I’ll just be lying next to the open fridge all weekend swallowing ice cubes like cod liver oil tablets.
Graham: I’ve been playing Death Road to Canada and being quietly shocked that we haven’t written a proper feature before about it before now. It’s an Oregon Trail-style road trip disaster in which you fight zombies with guns, frying pans and other found objects while searching for food, fuel and bullets, and then clamber in your car to drive on to the next town. Along the way your team’s morale will dip, they’ll fall out, and they’ll betray one another; yesterday a genetically modified traveller stole our car and made off with most of our supplies after I tried to rob a shopkeeper and he blew himself up, injuring us all. Good times.
John: Oh gosh, after a week where I’ve had to take most of the days off, my pile of unplayed games is threateningly high. My son’s sick, I think I’m likely getting it too, and goodness me, I just want to sit and play some games.

Fortunately I’m having the good sense to have my gall bladder removed in a couple of weeks, and then I’m forced to sit still for ages. GAMES, I WILL COME FOR YOU.

Philippa: This weekend I will be playing the game of getting to GDC in one piece and accompanied by as much of my luggage as possible. Videogames are very much next week’s consideration, although I might sneak in a bit of Picross on my phone or go for a round of some kind of limb-Tetris as I attempt to get comfy in my seat…

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. caff says:

Wuppo! It’s brilliant and will make you happy, so you should all play it too.

2. Lars Westergren says:

The hard mid-March deadline on my current project is coming towards me like a runaway freight train, so it looks like another working weekend. A few Darkest Dungeon runs to unwind is probably all I will have time for.

And when you play a roguelike with permadeath to get less stressed, is when you know things are bad.

3. aepervius says:

Planning to finally complete temple of elemental evil with the circle of 8 mods. I like this game but only completed it once without mods, and somehow never picked it up again. I saw this week the circle of eight mods, and I have installed it.

4. Shinard says:

Not much – there’s a couple of deadlines looming, so I’ll probably be working for most of the weekend. That said, I’ve been hooked on Renowned Explorers: International Society lately (picked it up in a sale last weekend), so I might do an expedition or two in that.

• ButteringSundays says:

One of my favourite games! So much charm and it’s quite addictive. I’m looking forward to the new DLC myself.

• Shinard says:

Hadn’t heard anything about it apart from a Have You Played, but I’m so glad I picked it up! Finally beat Shangri-La on Adventure mode, and now the DLC is calling me… but I’ll try and hold off, at least until a sale.

5. AngoraFish says:

Night in the Woods.

It’s utterly charming. The characters are really genuine and just the right mix of cynical and giggle out loud relatable. The world building is exceptional with every wry detail exactly spot on. Great music and a fantastically evocative graphical style.

I’m not at all a point and click adventure type person but somehow managed to kick cash into this during my Kickstarter binge days… I put off playing it as a result but eventually booted it up to at least watch the intro to this weird beast I managed to randomly back a few years ago and it won me over completely over within the first two minutes.

Already could be in contention for my game of the year, very highly recommended indeed.

6. Ghostwise says:

I’ve been working on late 1990s RPGs lately… now that Fallout 2‘s done, it’s time for Baldur’s Gate 1.

The Big World recommended mods suite and installer is fairly good. Yeah, some bits are amateur-ish, but generally it makes the game better and more interesting.

• floogles says:

Me too! I finished it once before when it came out, so I’m playing vanilla with only the original fixpack for nostalgia. Really enjoying it, just finished the brutal Iron Throne battle where 50℅ is fighting the damn stairs. Lovely atmosphere in this game and so much freedom to do what you want.

7. Pich says:

New Vegas! the RPS review is bollocks, the game is great. Also i just did the Volare! quest and now i know why people hate Cazadores so much.

zinzan says:

It’s a great RPG – I might even finish it one day (Very rare for me to finish any game nowadays – boredom or distraction normally kill it.

• Torgen says:

One of the few games I *have* finished, including all the DLC. Rather enjoyed playing the sniper, so much so that I couldn’t really get into another playthrough as a more brutish sort, or a pure egghead.

• Ejia says:

NV is superior to 3 in every way except for the world itself. Thanks to Tale of Two Wastelands I can have both (and more importantly the jury rigging perk with alien weapons).

8. TheAngriestHobo says:

Inspired by Fraser Brown’s recent article, I decided to load up the Star Trek: New Horizons mod for Stellaris and try my hand at playing as the Cardassians.

I’m tempted to launch into a full AAR, but instead I’ll just briefly say that the Federation are a bunch of hypocritical jerks in Stellaris. They’re currently at war with a one-planet system that’s fighting for its independence from them. A world they stole from me (after I conquered and enslaved it, admittedly, but my point stands). Infinite diversity in infinite combinations, my ass.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Stellaris was my first ever 4X game purchase entirely because of that article. In 2 daya I have spent 15 hours playing it (admittedly doing a lot of losing, but boy is this the Trek game every fan needs).

Help.

9. Agnosticus says:

R6:Siege: Our team is getting acclimated to the gold ranks, which is great!
    The game has many connection issues still, I dearly hope, that they make good on their promise to install actual servers for this game!

And occasionally some Rocket League

Maybe I’ll find the time to play with some friends then it’s Gurgamoth time! (on sale for 1€ atm)

10. yogibbear says:

Moar Dishonored 2 and painting minis.

11. JonWood says:

I’ll probably play a bit of Hitman, I picked up the first episode in last weekend’s sale to see if its worth getting the rest. So far I’m loving the execution of building something that feels like a living environment to play with, but I’m once again reminded how terrible I am at stealthy puzzle games.

I might also try and get in a few rounds of Rocket League as I’ve seen it mentioned a few times this week and its given me the urge to jump back in.

12. particlese says:

Alec: Enjoy your congratulation-avoidance day! My favorite variant is when people start finding out days later that it passed without them.

Philippa: That is the best version of In-Flight Tetris, I swear. It really ramps up at mealtime on those trans-Atlantic flights.

As for me, I’ll be joining John in figuring out if I’m sick this weekend. No organ removal anticipated, though, so it’ll just be mere evenings of Devil Daggers and ESO for the foreseeable future.

13. Horg says:

A little Path of Exile to help decide which build to main in the new league start on the 3rd. It’s quite a good time to come back to the game, the new legacy league involves a compilation of all previous leagues, so I can experience everything i’ve missed before patch 3.0 changes everything.

14. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Mysterium and Neuroshima Hex!, with two different groups.

Mysterium has been hugely successful among my non gamer friends: tonight we’ll be trying it out with a larger group. I for one am bored out of my skull of the game (it’s great, but after 10 or so playthroughs I feel it gave me everything I could get out of it), but I’m curious to see how it plays with more people and there’s always the satisfaction of actually being asked to play a game rather than the other way around.

N-hex is my darling. I’ll play it with wargamers / miniature gamers. N-hex, Blood Rage and Level 7: Omega Protocol might be just what I need to fulfill my dream: going a full week without somebody bitching and whining on Whatsapp about Games Workshop.

15. NetharSpinos says:

Deathworld, Rimwing, making a start on getting models painted for ‘tourney.

16. ButteringSundays says:

I’m in a space freelancing mood at the moment, and have somehow only recently discovered X3 (Albion Prelude to be exact). It’s good! It’s a game that does need an hour or two of guides to get started with – but the interface isn’t anywhere near as complex as some suggested (some people are just spoilt) and for such an old game it looks great. I’d gotten back into Elite recently and was finding the trading experience pretty hollow – X3 is better in that regard.

Also Rebel Galaxy – a distilled more arcadey elite, if you will, but fun and it keeps drawing me back.

I suspect I’ll be bored of space trading again by next weekend – or will escalate – I’m already getting a hankering for fseconomy and xplane.

• shocked says:

The larger your fleet gets in X3, the more you’ll hate the interface. It’s evil shite.

• ButteringSundays says:

Well I didn’t say it was good, just not as bad as I expected :D

But I don’t hate DF and played Eve for years – I am one with interface.

17. Chorltonwheelie says:

I’m going to pretend I’m Doom Guy whilst taking a chainsaw to next doors the eucalyptus tree felled by Doris.
    And try to get ’round to finally finishing Dishonoured 2. It hasn’t grabbed me like the first at all. Not worked out why yet.

18. aircool says:

Apathy. Operations in BF1 has become stale. Either the attacking team take only one sector for each battalion, or they just stomp right to the end with more than half their tickets still remaining.

So I’ll just stare at my monitor, looking for a new game and complaining that I’ve seen it all before…

Neurotic says:

I like when Adam and Pip go on travels together, the Twitter banter is always entertaining. :D

For myself, I shall be diving back into Subnautica, thanks to Fraser’s recent bit on it, plus millions of hours more of Fallout 4.

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m in a little bit of a limbo right now. Part of me wants to start something new, but I’d feel better if I tied up some loose ends first. I could finish-up the Evil Within, dabble in Sleeping Dogs or Hitman, crowbar my way out of Ravenholm in an on-going Half-Life 2 reunion, or curl up in a corner with Fire Emblem: Fates on 3DS. It will likely be some combination of the above.

21. dogwaddle says:

Finishing up my empire campaign in total war Warhammer while wondering why didn’t CA release their free LC on Friday. Other than that I may start new game plus for Witcher 3 or get back into Endless Legends.

22. TZQ92 says:

Just started up Civ6. Had it on the shelf for a while now, but couldn’t muster any strength to give it a proper try. Pretty fun, so far. Don’t have a strong opinnion yet but I’m digging the whole “you don’t have to build roads” and “a worker disappears after 3 builds” mechanics. Music is gorgeous and I love the art direction. I’m quite confused on social policies, the new happiness mechanic (amenities) and how to grow a civ to be a force to be reckoned with, but I’ll get there. :D

23. Tartrazine says:

Another weekend of overtime (you won’t hear me moan when it’s payday) but when I do get some time in the evening H&D1 now it’s on GOG.
    Loaded it up last night and had a wonderful trip down memory lane scratching my head trying to work out the bloody controls again. Oh, and finding out that Jerry is still waiting round the side of the hut after all these years.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

This made me smile. Loved that game, but I was so bad at it I replayed those first few missions 10s of times, I don’t think I’d do anything but run out the room screaming if I saw them again.

24. RaymondQSmuckles says:

Working on games from the Freedom Bundle. The Witness and QUBE are taking the bulk of my game time now.

25. LordsAvatar says:

I’ll continue working on my playthrough of all Mass Effect games even though i dont like the shooter-style direction the games more and more take. Space and RPG would be my perfect combination, yet i find it hard to continue playing the ME games. Everything just to have all the background for ME:A, which is also gonna be very shooter-ish. :/

• floogles says:

Totally agree. If someone could just pull off Star Trek as a space rpg without shooter filler that’d be great.

26. Singular says:

I’m playing Homeworld (remastered). Somehow, inexplicably, I managed to miss this first time around. I mean, I played Dune 2 when it first came out, I love space, I love RTS?

I can see already, that this is a thing of rare beauty.

• Rainshine says:

I envy you, that’s an amazing game to just be starting!

zinzan says:

Been p-laying the game of follow orders from better half – results:
    1. Destroyed garden pond.
    2. Skip on Way.
    3. Destruction of bank account.
    4. No time to game today.

28. fish99 says:

I’ll be playing some more of the new Hunter Call of the Breath of the Wild. It’s got a few glitches, mainly UI stuff, and it’s grindy, but it’s the same superb environments and fun gameplay from the original The Hunter, but without the F2P drawbacks. Good stuff.

Finished reading Dragonlance Chronicles this week, for the first time in 20+ years, and by the end it was actually pretty awesome. Exciting, surprising and tense, if not exactly well written. Onto Legends now.

29. Ben King says:

I finally FINALLY started The Witcher 3 and so far the little hunting quest stories are really great. Because Geralt is usually just a passing element in a larger narrative the stories always have some odd holes in them, but the whole bit of having to choose the better of two bad options is kinda morally refreshing (oops I inadvertently helped a bunch of racists, oops, I accidentally made sure this Good Samaritan will be hung for deserting). Makes me feel less bad about taking everyone’s money, but I also haven’t figured out if I can afford to work for free sometimes given just how much folks seem to not mind Geralt just waltzing in and rifling through their things for some bread, bit of string and coin. I also want to paint minis, or rather invite my friend over and make him paint minis with my GF while I bake an apple pie for them.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, that’s the only problem with the game, I found, by half way you’ve amassed so much money why would you ever take on these menial tasks for everyone? Am only playing them because I want to see what happens, so it’s slightly jarring. Would prefer if money was the only way to get good gear or level up or something, a bit Dark Souls style, so you still have a reason to go on being a mercenary for every questionable arsehole that comes along.

30. SaintAn says:

Going to a Mardi Gras parade, watching the Count of Monte Cristo anime again since it starts off in Mardi Gras, need to find a Mardi Gras mask, and playing TW Warhammer as Dwarfs when I have time. Want to get some Dwarf play in before my mods break in the coming update and I switch to playing Vlad/Isabella Vampire Counts faction, Bretonnia and Wood Elves again once Bretonnia has their full faction.

I’ve noticed that there’s a big lack of Mardi Gras in video games. I can only think of one game I’ve ever seen with it, and it was that DoA MMO Rift. It’s such a cool, weird and creepy time to theme a game that it’s really sad no one has bothered with it. It always reminds me of the King in Yellow now (not the garbage True Detective story).

31. Cyrus says:

Nothing really, I’m not at home.
    Though I’ll be starting my Witcher 2 run next week.

32. Vurogj says:

The Motorsport Manager 1.3 patch is out, and from my quick look this week, is very very good indeed, so this weekend I’ll be diving deep back into it, and perhaps trying out the GT series DLC as well. Good game appears to have just got a lot better.

pertusaria says:

A bit of Hidden Folks on the tablet, a bit of Night in the Woods, but mostly Moving House. It’s not as good as I remember, and I remember it being an ordeal. New place has a shower and a better kitchen, though.

34. Ejia says:

I have made the possibly unfortunate decision to start playing Neverwinter. I’m going to see if the grind in it is more forgiving than in eastern MMOs like Phantasy Star Online 2 or Tree of Savior. So far I do like dashing and lasering things as a cleric.

35. csbear says:

I’m enjoying Golden Krone Hotel and Unexplored (thanks Adam!), while waiting for Battle Brothers and Tides of Numenera final releases.

36. Rainshine says:

Fearing for my life time with Tides coming. Finished up the elves in Dragon Age: Origins this week — I don’t think I’ve ever played a game where I didn’t want to punch all the elves in the face. That makes three factions, so I’m 3/4 the way to the end! Ish. Probably try to do some of the DLC content this weekend.

Sunless Sea again. I’m only on my second captain, and have had some close calls again (pulled into London this week with 99 1/2 terror, 1/15 crew, 1/2 a barrel of fuel… and 16 supplies. RNG for you. But I got the tomb-colonist tour done!) I’m circling around trying to get some more officer quests done, because they require all sorts of strange stuff. Still haven’t been to the surface yet, might try that. One thing I’m a bit annoyed about is trying to colonize some island — Aestival? — and it requires a truckload of stuff to even start, including what appears to be loot from several boss monsters, and 40 supplies, which is the entire cargo capacity of my ship, so I can’t even apparently do it without changing ships.

And probably some WoW. I finally bit the bullet and made my first new characters since… Wrath came out? Wanted to get an idea of how the monk feels outside of the initial beta, and see the effects of the Cataclysm.

37. DevilishEggs says:

Religious themed doom wad called Preacher, from the maker of Pirate Doom.

38. malkav11 says:

Having finished Inquisition last week and with the looming arrival of Andromeda next month, I’ve gone back to my second playthrough of Mass Effect 2 (which I’d paused for years but have now gotten back into), playing a Paragon this time and checking out some of the DLC that wasn’t around when I played the first time out. It’s awfully hard going back to ME2 graphically after the powerhouse that is Inquisition, and I continue to strongly dislike the combat and other mechanical changes in 2 (particularly the shared cooldowns and unnecessary addition of far too limited ammo), but I will admit it’s less of a slog as a soldier than the nerfed-into-the-ground adept I played first time around. And I do really enjoy the worldbuilding and the writing around basically everything other than the main quest (which latter breaks continuity with the first game and forces some very dubious decisions – like working with Cerberus and ignoring the main Reaper threat in favor of this weird sideline – on the player). So far, DLC wise, Lair of the Shadow Broker is fantastic – better than the main game – and Overlord is a largely pointless series of geth fights that doesn’t really do anything exciting until the last area.

Also going to farm some Hex dungeons a bit more for Ardor Day rewards, and maybe do another episode of Telltale Batman.

39. Someoldguy says:

I’m indulging in a little fully-modded PS:Torment to get in the spirit of things before Numenara releases on tuesday. Meanwhile my kid wants me to nurse his Lords Mobile position while he’s busy doing other things. I have been apt to moan at the amount of cash companies try to hoover up with endless DLC but my god, they have nothing – n o t h i n g – to compare with the insane amount of cash these mobile games demand for their stuff. Yet it seems a significant minority of people pay it. Baffling.

40. sege says:

I am bored and gameless :(
    I gave up at level 8 of Pillars of Eternity for the second time, and that is it now. It a lovely game in many ways but just dull and boring to me.
    So scouring my backlog for something that might grab me.

41. Torgen says:

I’ve fallen into the curious habit of playing Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 to de-stress after work. It’s much like a puzzle game at first, with the worn-out parts showing progressively worse rust which makes them stand out, but it’s slowly, slowly backing off on the hand-holding.

Still, there’s no worrying about gaskets, power steering fluid, brake fluid, or radiator fluid (only oil plays a part), and it gives you a chance to see how your car fits together, in a moderately abstracted sense.

For example, each engine type shares the same gearbox, exhaust plumbing, engine parts, etc. Removes what would have been certain aggravation trying to sort through a quadrillion parts. Oh, and switching from fictitious car names to the real names is simple as swapping out a text file.

I’m working my way to the point where it allows me to attend the car auctions, drag a clunker back to the shop, and rebuild it for resale or collecting. A spent a fair about of time as a younger man underneath the hood or under the chassis of various cars, keeping them running, so it’s a bit of fun doing it without the bashed knuckles and backaches.

The other recent hobby is puzzling out how to set up a Twitch stream using a single monitor. I’ve tried different things, before getting sidetracked by the discovery of an official Darkest Dungeon Twitch voice pack, and crafting custom alerts in Streamlabs (ex-Twitch Alerts).

42. Gomer_Pyle says:

I picked up the recent Civilization Humble Bundle, so I’ll probably poking around those this weekend. Besides that, I’ll be continuing on with Spelunky. Earlier this week I made it to the pyramids and now I’m excited to see what lies ahead.

43. Seyda Neen says:

I’ve almost finished my second playthrough of The Witcher 3 (new game+). The crew is in Skellige. To think I had written this game off on my first try, after 15 hours. So glad I gave it a second chance. The DLC still doesn’t interest me, though. Geralt’s story feels complete in the main game, I don’t feel justified extending it sideways. Seems artificial. That might go away if I actually tried them, though.

After Witcher I’ll start playing either OneShot or Sleeping Dogs.

44. geldonyetich says:

I am shocked, shocked, to see I’m the first to report they played the Oxygen Not Included alpha this weekend. After all, it seems to be on all the big YouTube channels right now.

Real fun game, even in its crash-prone, feature-incomplete, goalless infancy.

• Rainshine says:

ONI is in alpha? AWESOME! I try to avoid following things too close to avoid getting too excited, but…

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Oh man, I saw you say ONI and thought it was some remake of the awesome 2001 game. Dammit

45. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Still Dark Souls 3. This game never gives up, but neither will I! Have reached the Dancer of the Boreal Valley and she is awesome, can see why she was all over the promotional art. Such an atmospheric fight.