Trap remix: Wonder Boy shows off new-old switching

One game I’ve overlooked in the eternal crusade to remake or remaster every game released prior to 2014 is Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap [official site], a remake of a Sega Master System platformer from 1989. It’s a game fondly remembered, I’m told, though I wouldn’t know as my Master System experiences were five minutes round a friend’s house getting bored playing After Burner. Anyway! The Dragon’s Trap comes to my attention now through a trailer showing off switching on the fly between its original art and the hand-drawn new style. Observe:

The Dragon’s Trap, then, is an action-platformer starring a lad who can shapeshift into animals with different powers. This remake brings a hand-drawn art style and new soundtrack but, if you don’t dig either of those facets, you can switch to the older version and mix ‘n’ match. That’s what that trailer was about. The one I mentioned. Just ↑ up there.

Oh and yes, password codes from the original release will work in this. If you still have old notebooks with codes and maps and things from the ’80s, I am horrified by your hoarding.

Wonder Boy III is a bit of a Metroidvania, as I understand it, with a non-linear world that opens up as you gain more abilities. Not a Metroidvania as we know ’em in their modern crystalised form but, y’know, it has some familiar elements.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap is due to hit consoles in spring then PC, er, “later”. That could also be spring, I suppose. It’s made by Lizardcube and published by DotEmu.

From this site

1. Heliocentric says:

Wonderful, my time with this game was probably a full year of my life added together, I loved the sequence breaking you could pull off if you had enough understanding.

The end game was so stressful as a child on 3 lives, I had no concept of reusing saves, I think I believed they were only good for one use.

2. Spacewalk says:

Man it’s hard to enjoy those old PCM tunes after you’ve heard the FM renditions.

• Skydancer says:

On the contrary, those PCMs are a highlight of the game and I cannot really stand the new music, I feel it’s too grand and Zelda-y for the game.

3. Tycow says:

My favourite Master System game… Gets me right in the Nostalgia Gland! 😄

4. Tony M says:

Wonder Boy is a blonde caveman who rides a skateboard, not this impostor. And its an arcade game, not sega. I think I can still play the first couple of levels in my head.

• Zazzaro says:

That arcade version already has an HD remake on steam released october 2016

• MickMick says:

Nah this is wonder boy 3 on master system. I have all 3 in my Master System collection. 2 and 3 were leaps ahead of the first.

5. Uberwolfe says:

I remember as a kid borrowing my mate’s Master System (I was a NES man) and playing the sh** out of this game.

Thanks for the memories :)

Qazinsky says:

Are you me?!

Seriously though, that’s my experience as well, borrowed the system and maybe a handful of games, but this one is the only one I remember, it’s such a great game.

6. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

I never played any Wonder Boy games until the Genesis/MegaDrive Wonder Boy in Monster World, but that started a love affair with the entire series. I’ve played all of them in multiple forms/platforms, and I absolutely CANNOT WAIT for this remake and the other Wonder Boy type game coming out!

7. Crocobutt says:

Boy, do I miss entering long passwords for games. /sarcasm

Game looks cute tho, might check it out!

daktaklakpak says:

Holy crap, thats Dragon’s Curse from the Turbo Graphx 16! Sweet, sweet memories of summer days long past…