New Avatar game coming from The Division studio

Any time I read that there are four more Avatar movies on the way, I involuntarily ask the air “FOUR?” You can add another video game to the list of things starring James Cameron’s spacesmurfs, as Ubisoft have announced one coming from their Massive studio – the mob behind Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment’s Tom Clancy’s The Division. Ubisoft already released a mediocre Avatar game alongside the first movie so hey, maybe they’ll make a good one this time.

All we know for certain is that Massive will build their yet-unnamed Avatar game [official site] in their own engine, Snowdrop. That’s the one they built The Division on. Beyond that, I’d broadly speculate that it involves some elements of running, jumping, shooting, and possibly flying. Call it a hunch.

To celebrate the announcement, James Cameron and Ubisoft have whipped together a video which shows clips from the movie and lots of people talking about how they want to make a pretty video game:

I like pretty video games, and I too hope this one is pretty. Pandora is a beautiful place and I’d like to virtually visit a nice version of it. Bonus points if it’s a walking simulator. Go on, Ubisoft. I dare you. Double dog dare you. Triple spacedog dare you.

No word yet on when this, whatever it is, will arrive. Ubisoft did acknowledge that their first Avatar game was harmed by rushing to meet the movie launch, so one would hope they remember that. Avatar 2, the movie, is due in December 2018, followed by sequels in 2020, 2022, and 2023.

FOUR?

FOUR OF THEM!

Fun fact: watching Avatar is how I discovered my eagle eyes aren’t fooled by this newfangled 3D trickery. While everyone around me cooed and gasped at the spectacle, I was left with a smear and — god help me! — three hours of that script and acting.

From this site

1. R. Totale says:

“I can’t wait for Avatar 5” – no one, ever

• Shazbut says:

Now that someone has FINALLY remade Pocahontas with blue skinned people and expensive computer graphics, I wonder what movies will be copied for the next four in this series.

Predictions:

2 – Casablanca
      3 – The Godfather Part 2
      4 – My Dinner With Andre
      5 – Cannibal Holocaust

• Shinard says:

I can’t imagine the sequels possibly being good, but at least they might be interesting. They’re fairly obviously banking on the visuals and the visuals alone, so I hope they make the accompanying story as insane as possible. They could remake Head, but the Monkees are actual monkeys. Do Sans Soleil without sunlight. The Lobster, except it’s animals at risk of being transformed into humans. Something. Anything.

• geerad says:

My predictions are
        2: Can’t Buy Me Love
        3: Ocean’s 11
        4: Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
        5: Casino Royale

• 3man says:

Cannibal Holocaust?

If the blue people eating other blue people are actually being psychically controlled by humans then is it still cannibalism?

Who’s to say cannibalism is even a taboo amongst the blue folk? Did the original cast any light on this issue?

I think I have a right to know, even though I couldn’t be arsed watching the original all the way through (after the first half hour I realised I wouldn’t get the next 2 1/2 hours back either).

They should put cannibalism in the game anyway just to spice things up, or combine it with the Gadfather Part 2 and eat Fredo.

• Someoldguy says:

If Peter Jackson can turn a 270 page book into three films, I can’t see why Cameron shouldn’t turn his touching love poem to Roger Dean into at least two trilogies. The story just won’t be complete without movie 6!

• Shinard says:

I just… how? I’d be stretching to think of enough plot-threads to fill one Avatar sequel. Though, to be fair, I’d also be stretching to remember the names of 2 characters from Avatar.

• Raoul Duke says:

You effectively have two whole civilizations (humans and blue-people) and their entire interaction with one another so I’m sure a competent writer could come up with plenty.

There will not, however, be a competent writer.

• Arglebargle says:

Cameron did some stellar work in the Terminator and Alien franchises, taking sequels and delivering really good riffs on them. Apparently he wrote Avatar a decade or so before, but shelved it because it couldn’t be done technically.

The Avatar story is pretty mainstream, generic. You’d think with that time to consider, it would have been a bit better. Will be interesting to see if Cameron can work that sequel magic on his own ideas.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Both Aliens and T2 had a lot of really catchy dialogue – action films sure and all the special effects but there were so many good lines in there whereas the only thing I remember from Avatar was the ‘unobtainum’ which was mildly amusing at the time but hardly meets the standards of Aliens and T2. Makes me wonder a bit who he’s collaborating with and if they’ll give the script more attention next time round.

• MisterFurious says:

James Cameron is a thieving plagiaristic hack. All of his ideas are stolen from books and other movies. Half the shots from his crappy Titanic movie were swiped from a TV Titanic movie and there wasn’t one single thing about Avatar that wasn’t stolen from a book, a movie, or a Yes album cover.

• lglethal says:

Come on lets face it, we all know what coming – Dune… with Smurfs!

The Unobtainium will be found to have mystical powers and be secreted by some sort of jungle Worm, and the Smurfs will have to fight off a concerted effort from the Emperor of Earth, with the help of a Young human Lord betrayed by the Emperor. Then in the following Sequels he will lead the Smurfs on a galaxy wide jihad to take the throne and bring the Smurf Religion to the masses.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

All I want is for the villain to be balding, dress in black and have a cat.

2. indociso says:

I always thought that Avatar could be a good setting for a good MMORPG.

I enjoyed parts of The Division though so this could be interesting. Like you say, it should be nice to look at, if nothing else!

• brucethemoose says:

I always thought the other (TV) Avatar would be even better.

Bending (elemental magic tied to martial arts prowness, for the uninitiated) alone is just begging for it, not to mention the rest of the setting…

3. geldonyetich says:

Finally! I don’t know how long we’ve been waiting for a western themed MMORPG but now we finally have Ubisoft making one on Dances With Wolves.

Wait. Avatar? The sci-fi version where they turned the indians into blue furries and the cowboys into space marines?

Nevermind.

4. Czrly says:

Ooh. Wow! A synergistic meeting of triple-A, Ubisoft and licensed property. The veritable hat-trick of mediocrity! I can’t wait…

… to never bother playing it.

5. int says:

James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is…

James Cameron!

6. fiasco says:

The game wasn’t much gameplay wise, but I thought it looked pretty, especially during the night cycle when everything glowed in the dark.

And you briefly got to fly a giant dragon-thing or massive gunship depending on which storyline you followed.

Oh, and there was multiplayer apparently. Ha.

• Arglebargle says:

The first game used the Far Cry 2 engine, and had no instantly repopulating villain crossroad nodes! And at least the overly aware flora and fauna had thematic reasons for their hyperawareness.

It did look pretty.

7. Blackcompany says:

Avatar…

Mildly interested…

From the creators of the Division…

Nevermind.

8. MikoSquiz says:

They’re starting work, now, on something that was past its sell-by date five years ago? Nice.

9. Wowbagger says:

When I saw this tagline in my email, I was hoping against all hope that it was a new Aang the last Airbender game. DISAPPOINTED.

Ninja Dodo says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Avatar was a perfectly decent and entertaining genre film, entirely aside from the nice visuals. Nothing wrong with Pocahontas meets Aliens.

If they made a game about free-form running and climbing and stealthing in a forest that could be pretty fun.

• lglethal says:

Oh I would totally pay to see Pocahontas meets Aliens! I’m not sure I want to see any sort of romance ccene, but the moment the facehuggers start attacking, I’ll be all over that film!

James Cameron – make it happen! :P

• Raoul Duke says:

Agree and agree. It was an extremely well made popcorn flick with great special effects. Bits of it were visually staggering (e.g. the attack on the giant tree). And the 3D remains some of the best ever, because they did it properly instead of cheating with computers after the fact.

Comment on this story