80 Days devs announce the sci-fi Heaven’s Vault

After travelling around the world in the fantastic 80 Days and to Fantasyland in Sorcery!, Inkle have announced their next game will go into space. Heaven’s Vault [official site] will see an archaeologist and her robot buddy travelling the mysterious rivers which connect moons, trying to uncover their secrets. Meet people! Chat! Solve puzzles! Translate languages! Travel an open world! Experience consequences! It sounds pret-ty great. I’ve a nagging suspicion that working with existing stories and worlds has kept Inkle from reaching the huge and fawning audience they deserve, so maybe this here all-new tale will do it.

Here’s how Inkle introduce Heaven’s Vault:

“The Nebula. A network of rivers, flowing from one moon to the next, carrying air and water between scattered clusters of civilisation. No one knows how the Nebula was formed. No one knows how it will end.

Aliya “El” Elasra and her unwilling robot assistant Six are going to find out. Somewhere in the ruins of the Nebula’s oldest worlds lies a truth that will change everything.

“Sail rivers of starlight, translate lost languages, and investigate ancient ruins in an all-original graphic adventure from the creators of 80 Days.”

Inkle first teased this new game in 2015 but have only now officially announced it. They reel off a list of influences which includes Indiana Jones, Stargate, the novels of Raymond Chandler, Islamic art and caligraphy, “the work of Dr Monica Hanna in protecting Egypt’s antiquities”, “the graphic novels of Möebius and Hergé”, “the animation and real-time storytelling of The Last Express“, “the puzzle-solving of The Witness“, and “the translation puzzle of Infocom’s classic game Infidel”.

Inkle say “the game won’t be ready for some time” but they’re done prototyping so it’s time to crack on – and to start saying more about it.

1. Person of Interest says:

Possible alt-texts:

1. Puzzling!

2. We need a resolution.

3. “Do you see any panels up there?”

Benratha says:

Or possibly for #2:“I’m going to make an owl noise – you check if there’s an answer”

• Alice O'Connor says:

Given who was supposed to be writing those alt texts, it’s probably fair to say they’d be more “Nice” “Beep-o!” and “Fine then, you do it, see if I care.”

• napoleonic says:

Alice should have a job writing alt-texts for every image on the internet.

Grizzly says:

I am happy that Inkle is a thing and strives towards becoming an even better thing. I wonder if the new art style will work well on mobile though. I loved playing 80 Days and Sorcery! on my phone but the setup makes it sounds like it’s a big screen game.

3. bramble says:

Alice, you refer to the game as Heaven’s Gate before the quote block. Not an auspicious association.

Also – a young woman with an unknown destiny and her robot companion following a river between worlds, huh? I need to read Endymion again.

4. Jay Load says:

This is one of those “TAKE ALL MY MONEY!!!!” posts. Can’t come soon enough for me.

5. caff says:

This will undoubtedly be a must buy from me. Inkle are a great studio, love the Sorcery series and 80 days. And how nice of them to give away their narrative engine too.

6. SingularityParadigm says:

As if I didn’t already love Inkle’s work enough, anything that references “the graphic novels of Möebius and Hergé” as in influence immediately gets my attention.