Gearbox show off a little new Borderlands technology

Gearbox Software have opened up a little more about the next Borderlands, after yonks of mutters and murmurs. Well, about some of its technology. Potentially. Gearbox head honch Randy Pitchford showed off some of the Unreal Engine 4 tech “that will power the next Borderlands game” during Epic’s ‘State of Unreal’ presentation at the Game Developers Conference yesterday. Gearbox have been working on lighting with black outlines, cross-hatched shadows, all that jazz. He showed a few scenes but did stress it “is not a video game, it’s a technology demonstration”. You can watch it online.

The livestream is archived on Twitch – skip to about 01:14:00 to see Pitchford and pal take the stage. The presentation is all about the real-time comic book lighting they have going on, with those black lines, crosshatched shading, and all that. He makes clear that it’s just a tech demo, something their research and development folks have been working on, and anything and everything shown could change. Yokay!

As for the future game itself, he has nothing to say. He mentions that several of the assets shown, and that character, are production assets for a future Borderlands game but nope, nothing about what it is or when or how or why. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that it’s a first-person shooter action-RPG with co-op support and vast numbers of procedurally-generated guns. Call it a hunch.

The Borderlands I’d most like more of, mind, is Telltale’s Tales from the Borderlands. Gearbox’s Borderlandses are bland as shooters, bad as action-RPGs, and wacky in ways I find irritating. But they do have co-op, and competent co-op FPSs are disappointingly scarce. I really did dig the fun Telltale had in that world, though.

From this site

1. aircool says:

More Borderlands 2 for me. I like the games, they’re great fun to play and have their own vibe.

Never fancied the prequel, but the first two games were enjoyable.

• ran93r says:

Didn’t like the Telltale one, the Pre-Sequel wasn’t fantastic either. Quite happy to have a continuation on par with 2 or perhaps even spread it’s wings in to Destiny territory, I’m moist just at the thought of that.

• SuicideKing says:

Played the crap out of BL2, would really love BL3. Tons of fun.

That said, I hope they improve upon the level imbalance that could result in coop, excessive empty spaces and late game grind.

• PseudoKnight says:

Just feel the need to remind people that the first game was a terrible PC game. (couldn’t adjust FOV without file editing that reset itself after every cutscene; Games for Windows Live that lost my save files after 6 hours of progress; terrible early game feel) It sounds like they fixed much of those issues in 2, but I had already lost my trust.

• Xocrates says:

The Pre-Sequel wasn’t quite as good as 2, but quite frankly I think at this point I actually like it more. Part of that is that Athena alone is more fun to play than any of the Borderlands 2 characters, but the other is that by making the story and characters more morally grey (more than they already were anyway) it added some weight to the proceedings that the other games lacked.

It also helps that Claptastic Voyage is the second best DLC of the series.

• Eponym says:

Loved the low gravity/atmosphere additions of the Pre-sequel! Surprised the game wasn’t as well received as the others…

2. mcGreen says:

For the love of god please dont fuck up the vehicle controls like in every other Borderlands game

Qazinsky says:

“I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that it’s a first-person shooter action-RPG with co-op support and vast numbers of procedurally-generated guns. Call it a hunch.”

Seeing how sequels (or spinoffs) to games like Orcs must die 2, Dead Island and other games, let me counter with:

Pleasedon’tbeaMOBApleasedon’tbeaMOBApleasedon’tbeaMOBA!

• brucethemoose says:

As far as MOBAs go, a Borderlands MOBA would be entertaining.

That’s not saying much. But still…

4. aliksy says:

If they could fix the pacing… it shouldn’t take hours to get to the cool powers and guns, and there shouldn’t be quite so much backtracking. Also the level scaling wasn’t great.

• Darth Gangrel says:

It often felt like you absolutely HAD to be a few levels above the tougher enemies to have a shot at them. Being one or a couple levels below and you’re just wasting your time trying to kill them, even with badass weapons. It felt really unfair that careful strategy or hit-and-run tactics didn’t pay off, when they worked in other games.

I also hated when Claptrap reminded me that there were new quests available. Same thing in Red Faction: Guerilla (“bad people are doing stuff far from your location, come help us!”) and I’ve heard in GTA IV (“Hey Niko! It’s Roman, let’s go bowling!”). I’ll do things in my own sweet time, thank you very much!

Those things have held me off Borderlands 2 and sequels. Are there mods to remove any of these annoyances or does it get better in other games?

• Xocrates says:

The claptrap thing is completely gone by Borderlands 2, but the enemies are probably even more bullet spongy.

5. SuicideKing says:

Is that a grown up Tiny Tina?

• AlexW says:

It could be Tina, or Gaige, but my hope – bearing in mind that he talked about different planets, and the colour of the exposed bit of her hair – is that it could be a certain third option who was last seen leaving Pandora real quick-like, and about whom I’m dying to hear more…