Have You Played… Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3?

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3‘s multiplayer is fun. I know, right? You’re waiting for the but, in which I’m going to remind you that its willy-waving jingoism is uncomfortable, its level design is brown and dull, its killstreaks reward the best players with frustrating special abilities… but mostly those things aren’t true.

Black Ops 3 adds lady soldiers to the battlefield. Black Ops 3, like other Call of Duty games before it, has largely solved the unlock problem by removing overpowered toys and rewarding more than just kills. Black Ops 3 is set in a world where cities are being flooded and reclaimed by nature, meaning the levels you’re fighting on are green and lush.

I still think it has some of the same problems as all Call of Duty games, which I wrote about here. It’s still frustrating at times. People still don’t play the most interesting modes.

But at its core, it’s fun. A fast-paced arena shooter with double-jumps and wall-running, satisfying weapons, and character customisation that lets you play as a colourfully painted robot.

I haven’t played the singleplayer though.

1. CheeseFarts says:

Looks like it should run properly on a 5 year old Pc, but doesnt. Shitty netcode, shitty (none?) cheat protection, shitty gameplay (kniferunning hooray!).

But at its core, it’s fun.

2. Wordtothawise says:

Great article. BO 3 is one of the best Call of Duty games. Worthy of a special mention is the dual monitor splitscreen option that is available in every game mode. I won’t buy any COD’s that don’t have that option. I wish more games included this option :(

3. Bull0 says:

“Lady soldiers” were added in the otherwise terrible Ghosts. But yeah, Black Ops as a series isn’t too bad, barring the disappointingly crap plot in 3.

• devonair says:

Haha, you beat me to it: Ghosts (for all its flaws) certainly had “lady soldiers” first. In fact, that’s my girlfriend’s only real complaint about BO3: she preferred the much more feminine character models for the female soldiers in Ghosts. She loved BO3 because it was so much more like her favorite COD (BO2), but hated that the female characters had bulky, blocky, weight-room bodies instead of the slimmer, yet-still-athletic bodies she could customize with in Ghosts.

4. Palimpsest says:

I just can’t fathom the idea of choosing to play this MP on any kind of long term basis, from all the available options. Maybe if you were 9 years old, and it’s the only game your parents had bought you.

• Bull0 says:

Maybe if you like it and have fun playing it, I guess

• devonair says:

^^ completely agree. Just because the earlier post-er didn’t seem to like it doesn’t make it any less fun for someone like me who just wants to jump in for a match or two (or 20 haha).

5. rymm says:

i dunno man, have you played titanfall 2? course you have. i dont see much point in going back to cod after that, it does everything cod does (and does it better i would say) AND has giant stompy robots.

6. Frantics says:

The MP is extremely well made and featured but honestly hasn’t come anywhere close to the fun I had with cod 1/mw/mw2, sadly. Maybe partly because it’s hard to get hooked in the same way these days.

Zombies seems very good though and the SP is a legitimately interesting mindfuck worth playing if you own it for sure, though gameplay wise it can definitely seem frustrating and janky sometimes compared to the current cream, it’s usually quite decent and the underlying story is honestly very interesting. It also has this strange zombies SP remix which I thought was fun and a cool thing to add to the package even more. Robust value in this one.