Ian Gunpoint releases new game Morphblade

That’s not the coder-designer of Gunpoint [official site] and Heat Signature‘s real name, of course. We don’t honour him with his real name anymore, not since that thing with the dishwasher tablets in 2013. It is our professional duty, however, to notify you that his latest game, ‘puzzle-strategy’ title Morphblade [official site], is now out.

It’s partially inspired by all-time mobile great Hoplite, but it’s very much its own cunning thing. Take a look below.

In other words, Morphblade is a hex-based battler for one player, in which each hex on the board morphs OHO NOW I GET IT your attack style and other abilities. This means cunning combos and gotchas, in a way that vaguely reminds me of Match-3 games as well as the ever-delectable Hoplite.

Haven’t tried Morphblade myself yet, but there are many neat ideas in there. Forgive me, but I hope he also ports it over to tellingbone at some point as it looks ideal for bus rides.

Morphblade is £3.99/$4.99 on Steam.

[Disclosure: I used to work at the same company as Tom Francis, and we were both part of a group that played weekly badminton for a couple of years. I believe him to be a jolly good fellow, though I haven’t seen him outside of a professional capacity for years. If this concerns you, please feel free to mentally replace all the words above with the sentiment “Tom Francis is worse than Nixon.”]

1. Bobtree says:

Morphblade was included in the March Humble Monthly bundle that just unlocked.

• Rainshine says:

Because I forgot to cancel, that means I must have it now. Good, because this sounded cool already! Thanks for the note

2. Archangel says:

“Gunpoint developer relea–“

Sold.

Tom Francis — truly the man who makes sublime games for people who like to play sublime games. Thank you, sir.

• Boronian says:

Yeah, I am usually not a big fan of specific designers but Tom Francis is the exception to that.
      I am interested in everything he puts out!

barashkukor says:

In other words, Morphbalde

It morphs into a thing that morphs people into bald people? Sold!

4. ersetzen says:

Really fun and weirdly addicting. So far I have made it to wave 25, currently by focusing on a central hammer with teleporters at the corners so I can kite suicide bombers into an acid trap. Not sure what to do against multiple ranged enemies because running up and face tanking stops working at some point.

5. wheadna says:

If I remember correctly, the game takes inspiration from Imbroglio too, which is available on the tellingbone.

• keithzg says:

Indeed, the Steam page description even notes:

The idea for tiles determining your weapon came from the iOS game Imbroglio by Michael Brough, which is great, and Morphblade is developed and released with his permission.

Unfortunately Imbroglio is only available for iOS (Michael Brough seems to be working on a PC version, by which I assume sadly he also only means Windows and perhaps likely macOS (I’m a guy with an Android phone running Linux on my PCs, but haunted by my brief time with a spare iPhone for a few months where I played Imbroglio incessantly).

6. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Oh yes, the Hoplite influence is indeed there and it’s delicious. This might become my new podcast/quick break game.

7. StAUG says:

These disclosure descriptions are just the bees knees.

8. Marclev says:

Just played this for a few minutes. I know it’s only £3.99, but it seems a bit … limited in scope?

9. Sin Vega says:

Tom Francis has never denied being a crook.

Harlander says:

Anyone know what’s going on with Heat Signature?

• Arathain says:

Still in active development. Tom is working in the Valve offices for a while, getting help and advice.