No you’re nog: Knytt dev releases Uurnog

Oh hey! Uurnog [official site], the new game from Knytt and NightSky developer Nifflas’ Games, is out for all to buy. Uurnog is a cutesy puzzle-platformer about rescuing/collecting/abducting animals, whose abilities you can use while carrying them, and has some fancy algorithmic music. We knew Uurnog was coming in March’s Humble Monthly subscription doodad as one of the ‘Humble Originals’ but hey, turns out it’s also sold separately from the start. Here, have a look at this trailer:

Nifflas’ Games say:

“Explore a strange world! Steal all the animals and keep them in the save room – the only place that doesn’t reset when you die. Just remember to not bring bombs into the save room. Your mistakes are saved too.”

It also has some fancy algorithmic music going on, able to react to events from gunfire and your progress through a level to the skittering of a cat. Have a listen:

You can get Uurnog on Windows and Mac from the Humble Store for £5.99. I’s made by Nicklas ‘Nifflas’ Nygren with art by Corinne Cadalin and a theme song from D Fast.

I do hope this is a sign Humble will release more Humble Originals — games which debut in the Monthly subscription bundle — separately. The Originals are often quite interesting but not enough for me to pay for the $12 subscription, as the bundles largely contain games I either already own or likely wouldn’t get around to playing. Make this a habit, yeah Humble?

From this site

Ninja Dodo says:

> I do hope this is a sign Humble will release more Humble Originals separately.

Yeah that would be good. I subscribed to this for two months just now because I wanted two of the headline games (XCOM 2 and Total Warhammer) but there were a lot of other cool games each month. I haven’t gotten around to playing any of them yet (which is also why I unsubscribed) but I fully intend to later and it would definitely be great if they became more widely available.

2. malkav11 says:

I was subscribed for this particular Monthly, so I have access to Uurnog. But I had no idea what it was and was probably going to ignore it because it wasn’t a Steam key and there were no details on the download page. The fact that it’s from Nifflas makes it way more exciting.

Of course I still haven’t played Saira, Knytt, Knytt Stories, etc so it may be a while.

3. Yay_Anonymity says:

Algorithmic music is cool and the the game seems ok, but really the title of the article is the best thing for me.

4. bonuswavepilot says:

Anyone know if this supports controllers? Such support was sadly absent in the Knytt games (though it is no great hardship to set up one of those joy2key type thingies, I suppose)…

• certainfate says:

It definitely supports the Xbox 360 controller perfectly.

5. certainfate says:

This is my favourite game in the bundle. It’s so good. I think it’s worth emphasising that the creatures are all “chaotic neutral”. They don’t particularly want to kill you. It’s very much about puzzles and exploration. But not strict logical puzzles. You can use items in creative ways to solve problems. And the “save room” is wonderful. Mine is already a disorganised mess of items and creatures I brought home, and I love it so much.

MajorLag says:

I really enjoyed Within a Deep Forest, but I’m really feeling like this is just Indie Platformer #2017-175638 from looking at it.

SuddenSight says:

I don’t think that’s fair for this one. As certainfate says, this is pretty puzzle-y (but typically with a number of possible solutions) and the game is very non-linear.

That said, it is more typical than Within a Deep Forest so you don’t want any more platforming this might not be for you.

DantronLesotho says:

FWIW Nifflas is one of the progenitors of the indie platformer, so his/their stuff is usually a cut above.